• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

iPhone5

Time of past OR future Camino
CDN, Primitivo, Sanabrés, Portugués, Ruta do Mar,
Hello Pilgrims,
Realizing that this is a topic that has been asked so so many times, the one thing I have not read regarding cellphone use along the CDS is if anyone considering a plan from their own cellphone provider. Many have stated that all they are bringing along for communication/navigation is their iPhone. I have the iPhone 5 and have been planning on going to Verizon and add the international service for 2 months.
Is this the best option I have? Any suggestions? If there is anything I can do to avoid high charges that would be great. Your help will guide me to decide what I can do for the Camino. :roll:

Thank you,

Mary

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just switched off roaming (I’m with O2) and used wifi as access is plentiful in Spain. Then just used yet to home and skpe for talking!

Unless you use lots of roaming data and call frequently, the Verizon global plan will be tough to beat.

In the past I have bought a local phone or used a Maxroam SIM card, but this year I'll just go with the Verizon plan. WiFI is plentiful, and I have skype on the phone with some skype to phone minutes available.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Guys!

Learning from those of you who have the experience and tried different methods for cell use abroad is quite an advantage from a forum like this one. I have no idea yet what the Verizon global plan costs but will be looking into that pretty soon. I too have Skype on my phone and thought it would be a lot easier to use whenever I want to, rather than having to find a computer.
If you have any other suggestions in relation to cell phone use abroad, please let me now. It´ll actually be the first time I carry a cell with me while traveling in Europe. In the past I´d leave thee list of hotel phone numbers and on agreed time and day I´d have calls come in, and it worked like a charm. Being on the Camino alone sometimes, trying to be one with nature :D, obviously the need is different.

Thank you very much for your help!

Mary

Make sure you have google maps. View the next days section each evening when you have wifi and mark you planed destination. This will all then stay available the next day without the need for wifi data roaming. Help me a few times on the Norte when we got lost!

My plan is to basically SKYPE home, call some friends that live in Spain & receive calls (3-4 times) from different friends that will join me along the way. Oh, and yes, for checking the daily route on google maps, which I hadn't even thought about doing until you mentioned "lost"! :D
One thing that I would love to do would be to keep an online journal for updating friends and family as I am traveling along the Camino. However, realizing that that might prove to be expensive, I thought of just keeping a paper journal and on return transfer it online.
So, I will be checking with Verizon for their global plan, but do you think it be better to just get a SIM card in Spain? Will there be roaming charges in addition to purchasing a plan, or if my phone has a SIM card?
My apologies for so many questions, I know how to use my cell phone for what I need, but understanding terms and knowing exactly how technology works is not my forte.

Buen Camino to all!

Mary

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wrote my blog and uploaded the photos from my phone at the end of most days when I had wifi. Normally with a beer!

manoll said:
Oh, and yes, for checking the daily route on google maps,
So, I will be checking with Verizon for their global plan, but do you think it be better to just get a SIM card in Spain?
Mary

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/glo ... icing.html

The last time I bought a local sim it was $25 euros, and a long irritating wait in line at a store. You need to estimate your usage to know what is best for you.

Depending on how much you want to learn about navigation, there are many data-free alternatives to google maps.

newfydog said:
manoll said:
Oh, and yes, for checking the daily route on google maps,
So, I will be checking with Verizon for their global plan, but do you think it be better to just get a SIM card in Spain?
Mary

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/glo ... icing.html

The last time I bought a local sim it was $25 euros, and a long irritating wait in line at a store. You need to estimate your usage to know what is best for you.

Depending on how much you want to learn about navigation, there are many data-free alternatives to google maps.

If you use the local wifi the day or evening before to look at the next days areas using google maps (which I still find to be the most usable) then you will not need any data the next day. The maps will stay in the phone for use and the phone’s gps will tell you where you are! Not needed every day,but very useful if you think you are lost and if you wan to take a different path. On parts of the Norte I often took different routes so as to keep more to the coast and to avoid some of the tarmac and the sometimes ridiculously long winded marked paths.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm on the Camino del Norte right now (in Santona) and I have to say, my iphone has been a lifesaver! I have an unlocked 3Gs and I bought a prepaid SIM card in Madrid. The whole process was so easy! I went with Movistar though I've also heard good things about Vodafone and Orange. My SIM card cost 2.35€ and I got a data package that costs less than 4€ a week. I'm extremely pleased with the plan. I have AT&T and was going to get their international plan, but once I started looking into it, realized it was a rip off.

Aubrey,

What is the data cap per week for less than 4€?

Aubrey, did you begin your Camino in Irun? Would it be possible to get a Sim card in Irun that is similar to what you bought in Madrid? I am so very excited for you and pray that your CDN is going well. I'll be following your footsteps next month. Hoping for warmer weather :D

I wrote my blog and uploaded the photos from my phone at the end of most days when I had wifi. Normally with a beer!
MikeIan, this is awesome news -the blogging part :) and love the idea of enjoying a beer in the evening too! Thanks so much for the information you've given me. I'm learning and hopefully I'll be able to pass on useful information to future Pilgrims :D

On parts of the Norte I often took different routes so as to keep more to the coast and to avoid some of the tarmac and the sometimes ridiculously long winded marked paths.
Newfydog, this sounds pretty much like what I would like to do too! If possible I prefer to keep away from paved roads, the local people many times will know a better route to avoid highways.
I will check with Verizon this week to see what their global plan costs; standing in line to get a Sim card doesn't appeal to me at all. I appreciate all your information and thank you for taking the time!

Buen Camino!

Mary

newfydog said:
The last couple of years France has been awful, for price, convenience, etc. but I hear it is improving there too. Has anyone bought something like this?

http://www.sfr.fr/mobile/tablette-cle-i ... vue=000mg0

One that's a French company. So only buy it if you intend to use it in France. Using it in Spain will cause you to be hit by roaming fees.

Second point is if I'm understanding that link right you're getting a contract. The tab on the page you posted that states
L’offre sans abonnement
pour un usage occasionnel
is just the SIM and you can then pick a month of services.

Well I did go to Verizon this afternoon and the person that attended me recommended it would be better to get a nano sim card than to use data their plan where 100 MB cost $25. He suggested that whenever wifi was available, as long as I had the data roaming off, I could go ahead and use my apps including Skype and that would cost me nothing. The reason he gave me was that 100 MB is very little and it's used up in no time. Also said it would be better to purchase a calling card here and then I could be covered for making calls and would have no surprise charges on my bill when I returned.
Do they have the nano Sim card in Spain? Is it readily available for the iPhone 5? My time is coming up and now I am getting a bit nervous due to my lack of technology knowledge. :oops: So again, the question is if all I want to do with my phone is use some of my apps like Skype, go into the Camino de Santiago forum, call home with a calling card, and download pictures, is the recommendation from Verizon correct?

Mary

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unless you really need to use the data or make phone calls during your walking time then I found that I could cope perfectly well with mobile data and data roaming turned off. I then just use the readily available wifi to use Skype, apps and google maps etc, which I mostly did in the evenings. Never felt the need for it during the day.

Once again, my apologies if my questioning and understanding of this issue is annoying. Please forgive me!

OK NicoZ, please let me now if I'm getting it, or if I'm way off and a lost cause :oops:. If the nano Sim is available for the iPhone, then the payment is relatively low and I would be limited to X amount of MB/day, right? Would it be possible to not use the SIM's allowance and only use the wifi wherever it's accessible? Therefore the nano card could last longer?

MikeIan, please correct me, you are telling me that it won't be necessary to get anything extra for my cellphone, right? Because it's global ready there is no need to pay, 2nd, if all I want to do is use Skype, check the forum, email, etc. if wifi is available and my data roaming is turned off, then I'm good to go, and no problem. Correct?

Gracias,

Mary

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If the nano Sim is available for the iPhone, then the payment is relatively low and I would be limited to X amount of MB/day
You can add time anytime you need it. As you run out of credit, the data rate slows, then disappears. To keep the data rate fast, take the monthly option with 1gb of data. You will be renewing each week, so the monthly rate is less than the combined weekly rate, and you will maintain your data rate.

To keep the data rate fast, take the monthly option with 1gb of data. You will be renewing each week, so the monthly rate is less than the combined weekly rate, and you will maintain your data rate.
Falcon thank you very much :) ! It does make more sense to it that way. I still have two more questions, with this plan my cellphone number remains the same, right? If I make calls in Spain to Spanish friends, or make calls to my friends from the U.S. once they arrive in Spain, would that be part of my plan?

Greetings,

Mary

with this plan my cellphone number remains the same
If you have a Spanish SIM that has been kept active, you can keep that phone number. Your U.S. number will not be active with a Spanish SIM.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
falcon269 said:
If the nano Sim is available for the iPhone, then the payment is relatively low and I would be limited to X amount of MB/day
You can add time anytime you need it. As you run out of credit, the data rate slows, then disappears. To keep the data rate fast, take the monthly option with 1gb of data. You will be renewing each week, so the monthly rate is less than the combined weekly rate, and you will maintain your data rate.

Falcon269, I don't quite understand you statement above about renewing each week. Please elaborate. Thanks.

The lowest cost pay as you go data plan is limited in amount and speed, and lasts only a week. You have to renew each week.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can renew the monthly plan each month, or when your data limit has been met.

MikeIan, please correct me, you are telling me that it won't be necessary to get anything extra for my cellphone, right? Because it's global ready there is no need to pay, 2nd, if all I want to do is use Skype, check the forum, email, etc. if wifi is available and my data roaming is turned off, then I'm good to go, and no problem. Correct?
Assuming you have a cell phone that work in Europe(?) you don’t need anything extra. Then as you say you can use Skype, apps, forum, email and GPS with data roaming AND mobile data off when you have access to the local wifi.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! You all have been a blessing and from your information I think I finally got it. I will follow your advice to get the month plan in Spain!

Ultreia,

Mary

If you use the local wifi the day or evening before to look at the next days areas using google maps (which I still find to be the most usable) then you will not need any data the next day. The maps will stay in the phone for use and the phone’s gps will tell you where you are! Not needed every day,but very useful if you think you are lost and if you wan to take a different path. On parts of the Norte I often took different routes so as to keep more to the coast and to avoid some of the tarmac and the sometimes ridiculously long winded marked paths.

I have wondered how much map data stays on an iPhone or iPad. How exactly do you "select" the area you want your device to hold? Does it work from the top down; meaning all the detailed information is stored along with the gross area?

I have wondered how much map data stays on an iPhone or iPad. How exactly do you "select" the area you want your device to hold? Does it work from the top down; meaning all the detailed information is stored along with the gross area?

Cannot give you an exact reply as the results seemed variable! However, each evening when I had wifi I would use google maps to view the area that I was travelling through the next day down to the max level and I would try to locate my next planned albergue or pension. I would also pin the destination using google maps. I then found that although I had data roaming and mobile data switched off I could still view the previous nights maps and the destination and use the gps to see where I was. Occasionally, I used to loose the detailed info on the maps for some reason but I could always see enough and the destination. Very useful when I got off track a few times!

I have never tried ti pin anything on Google maps. Is it as easy as just sticking your finger on a spot on the map?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry, never used the apple app. From the first look it was rubbish so I went back to google. The google one is well proven and works!

AubreyL said:
I'm on the Camino del Norte right now (in Santona) and I have to say, my iphone has been a lifesaver! I have an unlocked 3Gs and I bought a prepaid SIM card in Madrid. The whole process was so easy! I went with Movistar though I've also heard good things about Vodafone and Orange. My SIM card cost 2.35€ and I got a data package that costs less than 4€ a week. I'm extremely pleased with the plan. I have AT&T and was going to get their international plan, but once I started looking into it, realized it was a rip off.

Are you using an iPhone 5. I'm wondering if they have the nano sims in Spain.

manoll said:
Well I did go to Verizon this afternoon and the person that attended me recommended it would be better to get a nano sim card than to use data their plan where 100 MB cost $25. He suggested that whenever wifi was available, as long as I had the data roaming off, I could go ahead and use my apps including Skype and that would cost me nothing. The reason he gave me was that 100 MB is very little and it's used up in no time. Also said it would be better to purchase a calling card here and then I could be covered for making calls and would have no surprise charges on my bill when I returned.
Do they have the nano Sim card in Spain? Is it readily available for the iPhone 5? My time is coming up and now I am getting a bit nervous due to my lack of technology knowledge. :oops: So again, the question is if all I want to do with my phone is use some of my apps like Skype, go into the Camino de Santiago forum, call home with a calling card, and download pictures, is the recommendation from Verizon correct?

Mary

The Verizon global plan is almost useless on the Frances. What they don't tell you is that the only time you will have phone /data service is in the large cities like Leon and Burgos. Even then it is touch and go.

Seriously, don't get any global SIM card. A local SIM card in Spain is always be cheaper and most reliable option, either with Movistar or Yoigo.

I bought a Movistar SIM in Barcelona with about €60 credit. I photographed the paperwork involved with buying the card then threw the paperwork away (at the time I was madly reducing weight!). It was not until a day or so later when I was on the Camino that I realized the SIM did not work. When I reached Burgos I visited a Movistar store who explained the SIM could not be made operational and if I could revisit the Barcelona store on my way home they would refund my money. I was told that the photographs of the paperwork was all that would be needed.

Not so easy ..... Back in Barcelona a few weeks later ... I'm told any refunds have to be done within 7 days and anyway they can't read the receipt properly from my photograph so don't know how much I had paid. A weird argument seeing as they agreed the card was useless, had €60 credit on it, and was bought from their store. I have since written to the store but have received no reply.

I wouldn't recommend Movistar. I have noticed on another post though that Caminoteca in Pamplona are selling Phonecards. Think that may be a much better way to go next time. Nice shop and lovely people.
Debbie

Well, I did the CDN in May & June. In IrĂşn I immediately changed my iphone's Sim card to a Spanish Vodaphone. My mobile # changed, but that was not a problem at all. I was still able to use Skype, and the google website with all the information downloaded.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back