• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it really a good idea?

PaulineRoozen

Time of past OR future Camino
Haarlem (Netherlands) - Santiago august 2018
Hey everyone!

After doing some research on the Camino De Norte, I'm not sure if it's still a good idea to walk this route. I was very excited about the nice coastal towns or scenery. But after reading some blogs (I know it's just an opinion) I'm not so sure anymore. People say it's more pavement/asphalt than nice scenery and that you won't walk past any nice coastal towns.
I was wondering if someone has a different opinion and can me motivated again to do the Norte or should I do the Frances?

Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you've encountered some of the recent through-hiker blogs on the Norte where they have complained of the absence of wilderness, shortage of bears and lack of anywhere to hang their hammock/bivi. Well I can imagine that might have been a bit off-putting. I particularly liked the one who hiked along the side of the E70, presumably following some bicigrino gps track. In consequence that individual missed most if not all of those 'nice' coastal towns. Santander; Llanes: Poo; Ribadesella; Luarca are all delightful. Depending on which route variation you take there are many more.

If you want to do some research try here: https://www.gronze.com/camino-norte and Google Maps / Google Earth and a decent search engine or guidebook.

If you are going to walk 500 miles across a country then some of it will be pretty and some of it will be pretty ugly. Thats the Way it goes.

Happy planning

Hey everyone!

After doing some research on the Camino De Norte, I'm not sure if it's still a good idea to walk this route. I was very excited about the nice coastal towns or scenery. But after reading some blogs (I know it's just an opinion) I'm not so sure anymore. People say it's more pavement/asphalt than nice scenery and that you won't walk past any nice coastal towns.
I was wondering if someone has a different opinion and can me motivated again to do the Norte or should I do the Frances?

Thank you!
Hallo Pauline,
Ook de Frances kent vele stukken asfalt(liep de Frances in 2014 ). En ja, de Norte heeft ook zijn asfalt, maar ook de zee,stranden,eenzame landwegen, en een route waar je in het voorjaar niet in colonne loopt zoals op de Frances vanaf eind mei. Laat je niet leiden door verhalen van anderen(ook niet door die van mij;)). Als je hem(Norte) niet loopt zul je nooit weten wat hij voor je had kunnen betekenen. Je eigen intrinsieke motivatie is die waar je op kunt vertrouwen. Buen camino.

Also the Frances has many parts of asphalt( I walked the Frances in 2014) And of course El Norte has it's asphalt, but also the sea, beaches,solitary tracks and a route you won't have to walk in a column like on many parts of the Frances from the end of may.Don't let your self ruled by stories of other people(neither my stories;))If you don't walk el Norte you'l never know what he could have meant for you. Your own intrinsic motivation is the one you can rely on.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Every time I read a blog or post negatively describing the Norte, I'm completely puzzled. It was a beautiful route. Yes, there is some asphalt but when I think back about my walk, I don't recall it being that much. The people and coastal towns were lovely. The food incredible and the vistas, jaw dropping. Given the opportunity, I would walk it again in a heart beat.

Ditto @DragonShadow about the beauty and doing it again in a heartbeat.

If you are concerned about the asphalt, check out @peregrina2000's many postings about alternative coastal routes which avoid this issue. To be honest with you, after the first week of never-ending (well it felt that way) up and down on steep, rocky trails, I was delighted to walk on a paved bike path for a period of time.

Buen Camino

Ditto @DragonShadow about the beauty and doing it again in a heartbeat.

If you are concerned about the asphalt, check out @peregrina2000's many postings about alternative coastal routes which avoid this issue. To be honest with you, after the first week of never-ending (well it felt that way) up and down on steep, rocky trails, I was delighted to walk on a paved bike path for a period of time.

Buen Camino
Haha, my thoughts exactly!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back