• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I've got 10 days in Sept - Camino Frances or Camino del Nort

Kimmy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF summer-06, SJPP to Burgos Sept-13, Burgos to Astorga Sept-14 (Astorga to Santiago de Compostela sept 15)
I walked Camino Frances seven years ago and have been longing to go back ever since. In mid September I will, but only for 10 days. Will be flying in to Biarritz and out of Bilbao 10 days later and yesterday it struck me that maybe I should walk CDN instead of CF. What do you think, which one is the most scenic and nice one? I do not mind hilly conditions or long stretches, since I am a used walker. Also I do not mind being alone for longer periods.

If I choose the Northern route, how far is it to walk to Irun from Biarritz airport or Biarritz centre? I really do not want to take public transport to Irun, but would like to start walking as soon as I arrive (or after the local bus to Biarritz, Hendaye or Bayonne). If I do, will I be able to reach Bilbao in 10 days? Since I was so sure I would walk CF I have not checked CDN out and know almost nothing about that route yet.

Would appreciate all advice and comments about the first part of CDN?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi I have walked past Biarritz airport on the tail end of the Voie Littoral(guide at CSJ) to start the the Norte at Hendaye, it is about 47-50km from Bayonne cathederal to Irun, 30-35 from the airport. There is places to stay, either on caravan sites(i stayed just outside of Bidart- tourist info can link you up) or at a pilgrim specific place 9km before Hendaye. The official camino winds all over the place through little scenic places, usually on asphalt, I jumped off it at Bidart and follwed the coastal path to St Jean de Luz.

You should be able to make it to Bilbao, the Norte is infamous for its asphalt, but you dont really come up against it untill Bilbao. You do get a lot of camino commarderie in first stages, many people only walk for 7-14 days because of its reputation for being very beautiful.Some very nice little albergues, San Juan, Orio, Villa de Luz in Zumia.

Another option is to walk the increasingly popular Batzan route from Bayonne,This is a lower level route over the Pyrennees it is 115km to Trinidad Arre - usually over 6 days, you could still make it to Logrono. The St Jacques volunteers in Bayonne Cathedral provide details of this route and the link up to the Norte.

Good Luck

Mike

Thanks for your reply Mike. Have you walked CF as well? What do you think of CDN compared to it? Mid September should be a little bit calmer than summer so hopefully not to crowded. Have difficulties to make up my mind which route I should take.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the CF in november 2010 and have walked on the CDN twice. I like them both, in some ways they are similar, the albergues, the people you meet but when it comes down to it the CF is a bit special but if you are going to do 10 days on the CDN you wont regret it, there are really some stunning trail sections and the scenery in that part of basque country is almost Alpine at times.

Mike

Thanks for all info Mike. I have not made up my mind yet, but CDN sounds lovely. I think I may take the airport bus to Bidart or St Jean de Luz and walk along the coast to Irún, and then hit the Camino after a nights sleep in the peregrine albergue in Irún. Can you recall approx. how many hours it takes to walk from St Jean de Luz to Irún? Since I will start from home around 4am in the morning on that day, maybe I should not overstretch things, but splitting that first walk before Irún into two part seems like two very short days. As you can hear I am very eager to get out on the Camino. Well, I bet you know the feeling :)

Hi here are a couple of links that you might find useful. The 1st one is for the association which covers this area http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/spip.php?rubrique397 this lists the places to stop and where you can get info on the way to Irun, the site will be able to help you with printout of maps if you want them. The next one gives details of the the sentier littorale from Bidart to Hendaye, there are a few other good sites around which could help you just look on any search engine http://www.guethary-tourisme.com/decouvrir-guethary/sentier-du-littoral.php. If you stick to the coast from Bidart to Hendaye it is giving the distance as 25km, I would add 2-3 km on to that to get to the bridge which takes you into Spain.

When I stayed at the gite in Urrunge there was a map on the wall of the camino leading to it and on from there to Hendaye, I also noticed that they gave the route leading along the coast and then cutting inland to it, so if you decide you have had enough walking for the day there is that possibility. For me If I was to do it again I would do that, then make my next stop the albergue in San Juan de pasjes which would be about 26-28km. I like the Irun albergue it is friendly and is run by volunteers but it can get very busy, and is in a block of flats in a large town, San Juan is in a pilgrim dedicated building overlooking a very scenic inlet. You will have to ring head ahead for the gite in urrunge, but again it is worth it, it is a little 3 bed single appartment with shutters which when you open looks out onto the last mountain on the french side of the pyrennees, I still have this photo as my screen saver on my mobile.

If you start from Bidart and the tourist info. is open, go there to have their stamp for your credencial, it is the little chappelle which overlooks the sea and a scallop shell. I tried to get one from the church in St Jean de Luz but strangely enough for France it was not open.

Good Luck

Mike

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked Camino Frances seven years ago and have been longing to go back ever since. In mid September I will, but only for 10 days. Will be flying in to Biarritz and out of Bilbao 10 days later and yesterday it struck me that maybe I should walk CDN instead of CF. What do you think, which one is the most scenic and nice one? I do not mind hilly conditions or long stretches, since I am a used walker. Also I do not mind being alone for longer periods.

If I choose the Northern route, how far is it to walk to Irun from Biarritz airport or Biarritz centre? I really do not want to take public transport to Irun, but would like to start walking as soon as I arrive (or after the local bus to Biarritz, Hendaye or Bayonne). If I do, will I be able to reach Bilbao in 10 days? Since I was so sure I would walk CF I have not checked CDN out and know almost nothing about that route yet.

Would appreciate all advice and comments about the first part of CDN?

I will arrive Bilbao airport on Aug 29th and eventually make my way to Irun and walk the Camino Norte back to Bilbao airport Sept 13th. This is my first Camino but I have been in Viscaya approx 6-9 times beginning in 1970's - the last 2011. I don't know the date I will arrive in Irun as there are Basque Festivals in early September -Lekeitio( Los Ganzos), Bermeo, Mendata (small) just to name a couple. They are very colorful and lively!!My Grandmother was from Mendata and where I'm from in the states has a large population of Basques from Vizcaya. . I'm sure you will love the scenic views throughout this stretch and if you have time spend a little in the fishing towns- my favorite, as with many is Leketio - be aware that the Leketio- Los Ganzos can can be VERY crowded (2nd weekend in September). Idecided to go there before or after the festival.
I have found a couple detailed accounts of this stretch Irun to Bilbao- all say the first day is the most difficult - but fantastic views. I may well take 2 days for the first stage. There are lists of the Albergues for each stage i suggest you google EROSKI CONSUMER to see pictures of hostels and phone numbers.
Hope I gave some help .
Buen Camino
John

We are flying into Bilbao on the 20th. Catching the Alsa bus on the morning of the 21st and walking from Irun to Pasaia Donibane on the Saturday afternoon. I think we will be in Bilbao within 9 days, and I walk slow. I trust you had a great trip - and let us know what you did!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.