• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Just Back (again)

S

Sojourner47

Just back from 2 weeks on camino: the planned completion of the Frances from Leon to SdC was somewhat disrupted by a bad fall near Cruz de Ferro -I tripped on a tree root and went full length, not good with a 7kg pack on....possible cracked rib, certainly v. painful.
Anyway, after continuing to Cacabelos I decided to take a shorter option and return to Ponferrada, bus to Ferrol, and re-do the Camino Ingles.
And it was in fact very good, much better than the first time. (maybe because I now have more camino experience?) The weather was good, the walking was good, and there were hardly any other pilgrims.
No problem finding a bed for the night in a mix of albergues and hostals, and I met some nice people, both locals and pilgrims. And thanks again to Johnny Walker for your excellent guide (though I did remember quite a lot of the route, the last part has changed, for the better, avoiding that horrible walk along the main road hard shoulder into Santiago)
Anyway, the main point I would make is that although the Frances section was OK, and I certainly didn't experience any of the negative stuff discussed elsewhere, if you wish for a less crowded, and yet still scenic and in parts challenging route, (and with a compostela on completion), go for the Camino Ingles!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is good news. I am sorry to hear you injured yourself, though.

I am contemplating doing the Camino Ingles next year when I have to travel to London for other reasons. I have enough time to that and go on to Finisterre and Muxia. Your post confirms my thinking that this would be better than re-doing a section of the Frances.

Regards

Sent from my Vox using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Glad that you recovered and enjoyed the ingles. I was lucky to walk this in March and with hardly any other pilgrims (not what every one wants as I know some people go with the intention of meeting others) fairish weather (only rained all day on one day!), and a 5 day walk, I found it perfect, especially as it was my first camino experience.

Good luck Dougfitz - this walk certainly has some great points to recommend it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum