• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just booked a flight!

WanderingUKCZ

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles - 2024 planned
I have wanted to do the Camino Frances since seeing a Nat Geo documentary about 15 years ago and the urge has come and gone over the years.
Recently something has been really pulling me to it and luckily my wife, kids and work are accommodating enough for me to vanish for 9 days in May, so Im opting for the Ingles :).
I will fly from Prague in to A Coruna arriving at 2100 on May 7 and depart from SdC early in the morning on May 17.
I have a lot of planning to do and a lot of forum posts here to read!

As I will be arriving quite late in to A Coruna, I think it would be best to book something there and then take a train to Ferrol early in the morning rather than try to get straight to Ferrol?
At that time, would it be better to book somewhere near the airport or better to take a cab to somewhere closer to the station?

Is it already early peak season at that time and would you more experienced pilgrims suggest booking up early for accomodation on the way or will it be ok to “wing it” that time of the month?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have wanted to do the Camino Frances since seeing a Nat Geo documentary about 15 years ago and the urge has come and gone over the years.
Recently something has been really pulling me to it and luckily my wife, kids and work are accommodating enough for me to vanish for 9 days in May :).
I will fly from Prague in to A Coruna arriving at 2100 on May 7 and depart from SdC early in the morning on May 17.

As I will be arriving quite late in to A Coruna, I think it would be best to book something there and then take a train to Ferrol early in the morning rather than try to get straight to Ferrol?
At that time, would it be better to book somewhere near the airport or better to take a cab to somewhere closer to the station?

Is it already early peak season at that time and would you more experienced pilgrims suggest booking up early for accomodation on the way or will it be ok to “wing it” that time of the month?

Many thanks!
I often used the Plaza hotel in A Coruna. Close to the EstaciĂłn de Autobuses and a comfy and scenic 1hr 10min ride to Ferrol.

Pilgrim friendly staff and the rooms are clean and adequate. A couple of friendly bar/restaurants within 100ms or so.

Booking other accommodation is going to depend what you are seeking. The Junta Albergues do not accept bookings. https://www.gronze.com/camino-ingles is an excellent resource for accommodations; and a chance to practice your Spanish ;)

Recently something has been really pulling me to it and luckily my wife, kids and work are accommodating enough for me to vanish for 9 days in May, so Im opting for the Ingles :).
Greetings and welcome to the forum

Many thanks!
Greetings and welcome to the forum!
I'm afraid I can't answer your question about A Coruna, having flown in and out of Santiago myself. I think if you check the bus/train schedules to get to Ferrol that will give you your answer.

Whilst the Inglés is definitely becoming more popular, there is really only one place I would book on the entire Camino, and that is Bruma. It's a real pinch point, with only 22 beds in the public Albergue and another 22 in the private ( which you can book). Yes there is also a hotel and a pension only one and a half km away, but to my certain knowledge on several occasions last year everything was completely full and people either had to walk an additional 10 kilometers or take a taxi. You do not necessarily need to book months in advance, and you can always stage around it - ie, not stop there. Especially with the amount of time you have.
If you look for information on short stages for the Camino you will find two or three threads. There's an excellent post from @Elle Bieling .
Another thing to check because it will most definitely impact the numbers on the trail is whether or not there are any public holidays at or about the time you are due to start. It is quite common for Spaniards to take a public holiday and create a long weekend out of it. Even when that holiday is on Wednesday! Whereupon many more are likely to walk the Camino.
With 8 or 9 actual walking days, your biggest challenge is going to be what to do with yourself in your extra time. Most walk the Inglés in four - five days. Yes, there are suggestions in other threads on the forum.
Ferrol is a very nice town, with quite a lot to see and do. For example the naval museum. So you could spend a day there. If you want to start slow you could simply walk to Neda on your first day. Make sure you take the Variant shortly before ( ie. go left, not directly over the bridge). In fact I would take every variant you can find, including the one out of Pontedeume. They are often either quieter or more scenic, frequently both!

Plus, of course, it's easy to spend a couple of days exploring Santiago.

If however you're fit and simply want to walk and not sightsee, you could consider walking straight through from Ferrol to Finisterre, although to get there and back in time for your flight would be a little tight... .
Enjoy researching, and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Welcome to the forum. I have booked my flight to A Coruna for September so not able to advise you. Enjoy your Camino and post how it goes.
Muddy-mama

Many thanks!
On both of my Camino Ingles treks I stayed overnight in A Coruna at a hotel just around the corner from the train station. They serve breakfast early and it's such a short walk over to catch the early trains to Ferrol.
Alternately, if you have an extra day, have a leisurely breakfast then head out and stay to enjoy Ferrol, it's lovely. ( and the Parador is reasonable ! )

Thank you for all your kindly shared information and words!
Gronze has been a great resource and really useful, thanks - I didn't know this site.
@Peterexpatkiwi thanks a lot for sharing the link to Elle. Her website was a really good read and seen as with my flights I have that bit of extra time I think I will use her slower routes to slow it down.
While it will mean shorter days, it will be nice to stretch it out and make it last. Still mulling over the options but I think Ill put it in to 7 days stopping in Neda / Pontedeume / Mino / Betanzos / Bruma / Sigueiro / SDC and then have 2 days in Santiago.... but lets see :) The planning is fun!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back