• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Just returned from the Camino....Advice to others 60+ years

@Albertagirl thanks for your post! It is much appreciated. I think once I get a couple days under my belt (or perhaps a first night's sleep in a pensione) I can return to finding humor in the little things. A guidebook is most likely the next step. That way I can plan til my eyes cross before more or less throwing caution to the wind. Did you plan your stops in advance or just let the path and the interactions lead you?
Hopefully the last these weeks of May will be a nice time to go weather wise. Our Southern TX heat is nearly unbearable with lows in the 80s.
Buen Camino (my first time to say it)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Suzi Wooldridge
I did some planning as well as walking day to day. For instance, I realized after I replied to your post that I had walked further than I said. I used Brierley's guidebook calculations of km./miles from Leon to Santiago, but I did not walk the main route, so I actually put in more miles on two of the alternate routes he suggested: from Leon to Mazarife, then back to the main route at Hospital del Orbigo and from Triacastela to Samos and back to the main route at Aguiada. In addition, I got off the route before Portomarin and ended up taking a fairly lengthy and unintended detour. Whether you decide to leave the main route will depend on how much time you have to plan and walk your camino and if you are attracted to anything off the main route. But things may not turn out as expected. The albergue that you went miles out of your way to stay at will be closed, or the route that you chose may not live up to your expectations. This is just to say that expectations can get in the way of what happens. So, plan or not, but be open to whatever happens and you will receive what your camino has to give you. I was much blessed on my camino last fall, but I am going again next month with few expectations, except that I cannot control much of what happens and will accept whatever comes. Once again, buen camino to you.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wonderful, inspiring post. Thank you!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
… You dont need peanut butter ...
Cloosh: I was totally with you until you said that. "Crema de cacahuete" - took me 2 weeks to find it! Great post from 2013. It brought back fond memories. Thanks. JH

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum