• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for walking from Roncesvalles to Zubiri

edandverna

Walking from Roncesvalles to Zubiri today and seeking advice from those experienced with the route. Two "very senior" pilgrims with knee issues on long or steep inclines ... wondering about considering a taxi for the last few kilometers as weʻve been told it can be challenging? Thanks for your sage advice. Loving the Camino experience as always. Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do check out this earlier thread re
the descent into Zubiri for earlier relevant posts.

I would NOT follow the camino path any further beyond the Puerto de Erro for it becomes hell. After one ghastly descent in 2004 for the next 9 CFs I always walked down the N135 road verges to Zubiri.

In dry weather I would follow the camino to Puerto de Erro where a food truck is often parked. From there walk on the verges of the N135. In rain or snow I would only follow the N135 from Roncesvalles and not the path.

Good luck to all your group and Buen camino.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would NOT follow the camino path any further beyond the Puerto de Erro for it becomes hell. After one ghastly descent in 2004 for the next 9 CFs I always walked down on the N135 road to Zubiri.
Probably wise advice. I walked this section on a day after a lot of rain and there was a lot of mud making it more treacherous than normal. I don't know what happened, but a peregrina had to be carried out by the bomberos.

Tricky choice.
I have bad knees too.

I had tried both routes.
The camino descent was not as bad as I expected (in dry weather though)
It would be more dangerous if wet.
The tough part was steep but short and we went slowly using poles.

The road route I thought was very dangerous in my view.
In poor light or reduced visibility I would NOT try it.
Lots of blind corners with no shoulder, and at times you can't even jump the barrier due to the drop on the other side. Unless they have somehow created a walking path since 2018...

The lesser risk for me would be the Camino path. (in dry weather)
But you'll get lots of opinions either way.
Your call.

Last edited:
Yup a horrible descent, arguably the worst one of the entire Camino Frances....I was glad I had knee sleeve/braces on and used my staff. I also walked it in dry weather; otherwise it would be the road for me

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's easy to walk to Viskarret and then just get a taxi from there into Zubiri.
It's an ankle-breaking walk - they're calling it the Dragon's Back.
Slippery as snot in addition.
Dangerous in my opinion, especially if it's raining.
I agree with this comment. Not going on the camino after Viskaret especially if wet. I was delighted i had walking poles. A must actually on the Camino in general. I did it. Took a while and i had to stop regularly. I am not sure about the road.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On my first Camino I walked the path in the rain. It was interesting, to say the least. I was very happy I had poles to help me keep my balance on the steep and slippery parts. However, I’d take that route again, even in the rain, instead of choosing the road. If you take it slow and use your poles wisely, I don’t think it’s any more dangerous than the descent into Roncesvalles.

As I have some knee issues now, I always carry my compression sleeves and use them if I know I’m going to run into any long or steep descents. I find they also help with stability.

I have bad knees and have taxied around it twice. However, this next time , in November, I’m going to walk the road with a hi viz band and be careful. It’s the same road that goes through Burguette and ValCarlos so it’s not that busy really.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In 2019, in pouring rain, the rocky rough, downhill part of the trail was like a river with water up to 100mm (4") deep. It is like that sometimes tramping during the winter in New Zealand. I just look at it as part of the experience. Life is not all happiness, sunshine and light.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have walked the Camino path down to Zubiri twice, both in good weather. I do not recall any bad memories of unusual difficulty on this stretch though, and I am not young.
My opinion, however, for @edandverna, the "very senior" couple with bad knees, would be to definitely take a taxi; irregardless of the weather, the path, or the road. I doubt they would regret the taxi, but they may very well regret the walking.

Last edited:
I have bad knees and have taxied around it twice. However, this next time , in November, I’m going to walk the road with a hi viz band and be careful. It’s the same road that goes through Burguette and ValCarlos so it’s not that busy really.

Just be really careful, particularly in poor visibility.
On those blind corners cars will only see you at the last minute, and you often have nowhere to go.
On a couple of the sharpest bends I stopped to listen carefully, before proceeding.
Some form of Hi Vis is a good idea. I use Hi Vis poles.

Just be really careful, particularly in poor visibility.
On those blind corners cars will only see you at the last minute, and you often have nowhere to go.
On a couple of the sharpest bends I stopped to listen carefully, before proceeding.
Some form of Hi Vis is a good idea. I use Hi Vis poles.
Every time I have been on a road with a sharp bend and poor visibility of the oncoming traffic, I switch sides temporarily, so I am seen by the driver of oncoming car/s.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Every time I have been on a road with a sharp bend and poor visibility of the oncoming traffic, I switch sides temporarily, so I am seen by the driver of oncoming car/s.
If I ever decide to walk on the road ( no matter where I am and what it is I'm walking) I always walk against the traffic so I can see the incoming traffic.

If I ever decide to walk on the road ( no matter where I am and what it is I'm walking) I always walk against the traffic so I can see the incoming traffic.
Exactly...that is what I do, but when the curve coming up would hide from view oncoming cars, I switch sides so they can see me and me them. When the road straightens out again, I go back to walking against traffic.

Same here. In fact I've seen signs along the Camino for peatones (pedestrians) to walk on the izquierda (left).
The only one I'll cross over is on a dangerous blind curve where there's no place to jump out if the way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Yes, so do I. It's the safest thing to do.
But even so, these bends are tight and the driver will only see you at the last minute......

Same here. In fact I've seen signs along the Camino for peatones (pedestrians) to walk on the izquierda (left).
The only one I'll cross over is on a dangerous blind curve where there's no place to jump out if the way.

Yep, that's my point. There are a few of those blind curves on this road.
And even by crossing to the 'wrong' side of the road, oncoming cars have little time to see you.

Sorry, I have a 'bee in my bonnet' about this road.
It was recommended to me on my first Camino.

And it scared the CxxP out of me on a number of those bends.
I would never recommend it and be the cause of someone getting hurt.

Having said my piece I'll stop swimming against the tide and say no more on it, except....

1. This topic comes up now and again, and in the past, some who recommend this route have then admitted they walked it in winter when there was almost zero traffic.

2. Maybe in the last few years the road has been improved or a walking path added?
Perhaps someone who has walked it 'recently' could comment?

Hairpin Bends

1653825680668.png

Nowhere to 'Jump'.......

1653825816402.png

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back