This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Korea asks for protection of Korean pilgrims

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
N

nathanael

a possible suggestion is that the Guarda Civil makes it's presence more often along some of the routes, thus scaring off the perpetrators.

waveprof

Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2013
New Orleans, LA & Donostia, E.H.
elpequenoperegrino.blogspot.com
Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2013, Camino Frances
Facepalm emoticon.

Maybe the Korean association should make such a request privately so that the French, Basque, and Spanish municipalities that oversee the camino can make their own decision

I'm not 110% opposed to such signs, they are less obtrusive than other ideas that have been suggested, but I dont like an outside group throwing fuel on the panic button publicly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
M

Mark Lee

a possible suggestion is that the Guarda Civil makes it's presence more often along some of the routes, thus scaring off the perpetrators.
Good point. Gotta be proactive. The local cops know who belongs on the Camino and who doesn't (know who's a pilgrim and who's not). Lean on those whose intentions are not honorable. Let them know who is in charge.
A lot of those small towns depend on pilgrim's money every year. In nobody's best interest to scare off those that butter your bread.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Rather than a load of emergency signs everywhere along the Camino, the emergency numbers could just be put on future editions of credencials, and that way pilgrims would have access to them at all times.

THAT is a brilliant idea!

Icacos

Veteran Member
Sep 11, 2012
BC Canada
Camino Frances (2013)
Rather than a load of emergency signs everywhere along the Camino, the emergency numbers could just be put on future editions of credencials, and that way pilgrims would have access to them at all times.
Far too logical, simple, inexpensive and straightforward. It would never fly.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
C

Castilian

Accuracy in translation might be someway relevant. The article says the Korean Association of Camino Friends is working (what IMHO isn't the same than -just- suggesting) on things like getting signs on the Camino with emergency phone numbers although it doesn't specify any of the other things the are working on. OTOH the association quoted above asks to think about the need of increasing security along the Camino.

THAT is a brilliant idea!

Far too logical, simple, inexpensive and straightforward. It would never fly.

As brillant and logical as it should be to make some basic research about the country (or countries) you are traveling to (local laws, emergency numbers, the (emergency) number of your consulte in that (or those) country (or countries), travel advice for that (or those) country (or countries) provided by the government of your country...)... To provide info on the ground about emergency numbers is a good idea but to make some research before your trip to know those numbers before departing from your home town is a good idea too and, IMHO, neither of those two good ideas should exclude the other one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line

Of course, this goes without saying.
I'm just agreeing that IF those numbers and information were to be provided by the government, I'd rather see them on the Credential that to have signs popped up everywhere!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Dec 26, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I think any and all discussion on this topic is healthy. That said, the decision to do something versus nothing and every option in between is up to Spanish authorities. Whatever decision the Spanish authorities make regarding a safety statement or information on how best to report an incident, is their decision. If they decide to take that type of action, methods of dissemination, like printing it in a credential in multiple languages could happen fairly easily.

To my knowledge, officials in my hometown of Chicago, do not publish safety warnings in hotels or in travel pamphlets every time a world traveler is assaulted in our city.

That said, the Camino is a special place. Movement is done mostly on foot through some remote areas and an entire section of a country. Therefore, geographically more accessible to certain undesirable types and difficult to police. While I personally feel the Camino is a very safe place, I think a statement on what to do (information that supports police investigations) in case of a problem would be a positive action.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: C clearly
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Jul 5, 2014
Netherlands
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Hi, a lot of country's in Europe have the same emergency number 112 . Wish you well, Peter.

Most read last week in this forum