• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Korea asks for protection of Korean pilgrims

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
http://www.abc.es/local-galicia/20150608/abci-peregrinas-coreanas-camino-201506080938.html

Google translate has a bit of a hard time, but choose Galician for the original language, and the translation makes a bit more sense. The Korean Association has suggested signs along the path with emergency numbers to call, a suggestion that has appeared in the Forum.
a possible suggestion is that the Guarda Civil makes it's presence more often along some of the routes, thus scaring off the perpetrators.

http://www.abc.es/local-galicia/20150608/abci-peregrinas-coreanas-camino-201506080938.html

Google translate has a bit of a hard time, but choose Galician for the original language, and the translation makes a bit more sense. The Korean Association has suggested signs along the path with emergency numbers to call, a suggestion that has appeared in the Forum.
Facepalm emoticon.

Maybe the Korean association should make such a request privately so that the French, Basque, and Spanish municipalities that oversee the camino can make their own decision

I'm not 110% opposed to such signs, they are less obtrusive than other ideas that have been suggested, but I dont like an outside group throwing fuel on the panic button publicly.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
a possible suggestion is that the Guarda Civil makes it's presence more often along some of the routes, thus scaring off the perpetrators.
Good point. Gotta be proactive. The local cops know who belongs on the Camino and who doesn't (know who's a pilgrim and who's not). Lean on those whose intentions are not honorable. Let them know who is in charge.
A lot of those small towns depend on pilgrim's money every year. In nobody's best interest to scare off those that butter your bread.

So I'm confused. Are you saying they need signs in French, Dutch, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Korean, along with every other language in the world????

Or just Korean?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rather than a load of emergency signs everywhere along the Camino, the emergency numbers could just be put on future editions of credencials, and that way pilgrims would have access to them at all times.

THAT is a brilliant idea!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Accuracy in translation might be someway relevant. The article says the Korean Association of Camino Friends is working (what IMHO isn't the same than -just- suggesting) on things like getting signs on the Camino with emergency phone numbers although it doesn't specify any of the other things the are working on. OTOH the association quoted above asks to think about the need of increasing security along the Camino.

THAT is a brilliant idea!

Far too logical, simple, inexpensive and straightforward. It would never fly.

As brillant and logical as it should be to make some basic research about the country (or countries) you are traveling to (local laws, emergency numbers, the (emergency) number of your consulte in that (or those) country (or countries), travel advice for that (or those) country (or countries) provided by the government of your country...)... To provide info on the ground about emergency numbers is a good idea but to make some research before your trip to know those numbers before departing from your home town is a good idea too and, IMHO, neither of those two good ideas should exclude the other one.

Last edited by a moderator:
To provide info on the ground about emergency numbers is a good idea but to make some research before your trip to know those numbers before departing from your home town is a good idea too and, IMHO, neither of those two good ideas should exclude the other one.

Of course, this goes without saying.
I'm just agreeing that IF those numbers and information were to be provided by the government, I'd rather see them on the Credential that to have signs popped up everywhere! ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
They made their presence on motor bikes that nearly ran me over several years ago, that was very frightening along a usually peaceful wooded path.

I think any and all discussion on this topic is healthy. That said, the decision to do something versus nothing and every option in between is up to Spanish authorities. Whatever decision the Spanish authorities make regarding a safety statement or information on how best to report an incident, is their decision. If they decide to take that type of action, methods of dissemination, like printing it in a credential in multiple languages could happen fairly easily.

To my knowledge, officials in my hometown of Chicago, do not publish safety warnings in hotels or in travel pamphlets every time a world traveler is assaulted in our city.

That said, the Camino is a special place. Movement is done mostly on foot through some remote areas and an entire section of a country. Therefore, geographically more accessible to certain undesirable types and difficult to police. While I personally feel the Camino is a very safe place, I think a statement on what to do (information that supports police investigations) in case of a problem would be a positive action.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rather than a load of emergency signs everywhere along the Camino, the emergency numbers could just be put on future editions of credencials, and that way pilgrims would have access to them at all times.
Hi, a lot of country's in Europe have the same emergency number 112 . Wish you well, Peter.

Most read last week in this forum

Money stolen from bag on bed while sleeping. Estelle municipal hostel. Not a big inconvenience as my passport and credit cards were left.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back