• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugal will reinforce surveillance on the Camino de Santiago for acts of exhibitionism

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did anybody face such situations or hear anything about it ?
Are you asking if anyone has seen exhibitionists? The answer would be yes - in Spain, in Portugal, and in most countries we live in. Click here to read a number of threads that discuss this topic. There are tips for managing your safety and also managing your fears.

It is good that Portugal is taking these steps. Spain has also undertaken similar campaigns. Sexual assault and exhibitionism are problems around in the world. That is is why I choose to walk in Portugal and Spain, which I think are safer for solo women than most other places.

Do not be scared.

Being 54 I encountered some exhibitionists throughout my life. Most of them not on a Camino btw.
Be attentive about your surroundings, trust your gut feeling and always report to the police.
Also be aware that good people are in the majority.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Absolutely agree with the advice not to be scared. This is a most welcome development.

The legal and criminal context of exhibitionism/flashing is complicated in both Spain and Portugal, but knowing that the authorities have made a point of emphasizing their commitment to deal with it is really good news.

It’s worth noting that this declaration came from the head of the GNR (national police) in the Viana do Castelo region, so we can take it as a statement of official policy.

Just repeating our forum mantra — if it happens to you, report, report, report! The article notes that one of the police’s biggest challenges when it comes to prevention is the “ausencia de denuncias“ (lack of formal reports). They ask victims to make a report in the police station, with as much information as possible, including license plates, manner of dress and physical characteristics.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I understand about being scared, but that is the point of the offender's behavior. If you allow such a person to change your behavior, it is a great loss. Exhibitionists hope to shock, outrage, and frighten their victims. They will generally not seek help unless they get in legal trouble. The actions of the police are actually in the best interest of the offender, the victim, and potential victims. This is very good news. Exhibitionism persists in the face of inaction. It isn't fair, but that is how it is.

Here is the English translation (Google) of the article mentioned (https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...o/00031689352533925625373.htm#google_vignette):

The agents ask victims and witnesses to go to the police station to report and provide the information they have available. Jul 15, 2023 . Updated at 05:00 h.

The Portuguese authorities will reinforce surveillance in some sections of the Camino de Santiago starting this weekend after growing complaints about acts of exhibitionism. Specifically, it will be in parts of the Portuguese roads on the coast and inland, concentrated above all in the districts of Viana do Castelo, Vila Real, Viseu, Braga and Porto.

This was confirmed this Wednesday during the first edition of the series of events Safety Days on the Portuguese Ways of Santiago, which is held in Ponte de Lima. They also insisted on the importance of raising awareness and informing pilgrims within the framework of Operation Buen Camino, which is activated annually during the summer months and until October, by the Republican National Guard.

Paulo Gonçalves, communication representative of the GNR Territorial Command in Viana do Castelo, explained that there are frequent reports of men showing themselves off to pilgrims, especially in less crowded areas. "We have detected some outbreaks, especially in the section from the municipality of Esposende to Viana do Castelo, next to the Neiva river and in the municipality of Ponte de Lima (...) where these types of acts occur," reports the Portuguese newspaper Jornal de Notícias.

In addition, police sources expressed that one of their biggest problems when it comes to preventing new attacks is the absence of complaints. Hence, they have begun to "advise people, also through shelters, to collect information that helps identify" the culprits.

They ask that the witnesses and victims of the exhibitionists file complaints at the police station and try to provide as much information as possible, such as vehicle license plates, clothing and physical characteristics.

This reinforcement coincides with the final stretch of preparation for World Youth Day, which will take place during the first week of August in Lisbon. It is expected that, of the almost two million visitors that will reach the entire country, there will be large groups that will later make the pilgrimage to Santiago.

To date, most of the incidents registered by the Portuguese and Galician authorities were petty thefts in some sections of the Camino de Santiago and in shelters, as well as specific moments of disorientation of pilgrims. In Spain, the Civil Guard recommends the use of the Alertcops mobile application, which allows you to be located immediately by the police. For now, it does not work in Portugal.

The problem of 'exhibitionists' aka perverts will never end until much stronger and more appropriate sentencing is introduced.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm glad somethings being done at least. Hoping this kind of thing is rare but there were several moments however in Portugal (2019) where I noticed guys alone in cars parked up to or near the camino. There could be innocent explanations like a worker taking a break, making a phone call, etc but it did cross my mind there's more creepy reasons for loitering in this fashion.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.