• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving in 11 days!!!!

Ms. P

Hello All,

My best friend and I are leaving to walk our first Camino, in 11 days. We leave the states June 12th, and will begin out walk from St Jean on Friday, June 15th, with the intention to make it to Santiago by July 22nd. I have been reading this forum for about 10 months, since I made the decision to walk about 10 months ago, and this is my first post. I am a secondary high school teacher, and also work a second job to support my teaching salary. Most weeks I work between 70-80 hours. I am so looking forward to the time The Way will give me to relax and reflect, and hopefully give me some answers that I feel I really need at this point in my life. I need a time out from my hectic world, to say the least.

With that being said, I am in the stage where the panic is setting in. I love traveling, and have had the pleasure to visit many beautiful countries, but I have never taken a trip of this length and magnitude. Getting my business in order before I leave, and making sure that my most prized possessions (my two dogs) will be well taken care during my absence is pushing my control freak tendencies to the border of obsession compulsion. I have “to do” lists coming out my ears!!!! I am vacillating between extreme excitement, anxiety, panic, and find myself overcome by emotions when I least expect it.

In addition, because I my crazy work schedule, I have not been able to prepare like I had intended to do. While I have been able to hike and walk enough to break in my hiking shoes, and take a few practice hikes and walks with my full pack, I feel like my preparation has not been what I hoped it to be when I committed, 10 months ago. However, our plan is to go slow and easy, taking as many breaks as we need. We have already booked our stop in Orrison to break up the first stage.

I really just wanted to submit a post giving thanks to all of you for the knowledge I have been able to ascertain from reading the multitude of posts. Thanks again!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ms. P!

Not only are you ready to go, you're like a thoroughbred on the starting line! Once you've got past the stress of airports and trains you'll quickly enjoy the freedom of the Camino. You soon find yourself setting out in the morning thinking 'Hey, I don't know where I'm sleeping tonight, and I don't even care!' :D

Enjoy the countryside, the light, the air, the friendship, the laughs, the challenge and the pain. And Santiago! :shock:

Buen Camino!

no worries, the Camino will break you in and what you didn't bring you can buy and what you brought you can mail home...

but I do know how you feel, I have exams on monday (studying and having a full time job) and my shoes went for a 4km walk and gave me blisters, thats my current stage of preparation, but it will be all fine im sure

i will be a day behind you maybe I will catch up :D

Buen Camino :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
From one teacher to another, your Camino has already started months ago. Look how far you have already come. Trust in the arrows, listen to your body, savor the cafe' con leche, and free yourself from the classroom.

No matter how much you want to plan, the Camino will provide (and deny) what you need.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Teacher here, too.

I suggest relaxing and letting things happen. Get your doggies taken care of first, of course. (I am making arrangements for my two kitties now.)

Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Ms P,
My partner a teacher too, we went on April 1st, @ her pace, she had not worn her pack, & not walked more than 3 miles, before leaving, yes she's got pretty bad arthritis, yes we had a great Camino(with some bad bits too)(we cursed the rain, & then enjoyed it, cause you need less drinking water when it's raining :lol: ), & Santiago was a great climax. We tried to listen to our bodies, not always successfully but then we wanted some time in Santiago.

Our Camino came to us, yours will come to you too.
Buen Camino
David

Most read last week in this forum

Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back