• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lessons from my 13-month Pilgrimage for Peace to Jerusalem

Mony Dojeiji

Pilgrim. Rome to Jerusalem.
Time of past OR future Camino
In another thread, I was asked what I learned in my 5000-kilometre "laboratory" of a walk for peace, and so thought I would share some insights in the hopes that it may, in some small measure, serve you in your personal journeys:

- Follow your dreams and your passions. Do not be dissuaded by other peoples' opinions of what's right for you. Only you know what that is. With the best of intentions and out of love for you, others may try to talk you out of following that dream, giving you the reasons for why you shouldn't, reminding you of the dangers, foolishness or irresponsibility of your decision... but your heart already knows the truth. It knows the way. Trust in that, and allow that to be your guide.

- The single greatest obstacle that you will face will be your fear(s) - only you know what they are. And pilgrimage is a wonderful way to face them and heal them. My fears walked alongside me the entire way, revealing themselves in the people and experiences that some would label "difficult" or "unpleasant". Although I didn't always appreciate their gift in the moment, I later came to see the valuble lesson they offered in helping me overcome certain judgments and fears that I held, so that I could make more room for peace to flourish.

- The world is a good place filled with good people and kindnesses at every turn. If you walk with an open mind, and an even more open heart, you will have these kindnesses multiplied upon you. If you believe that the world is a dangerous place, then that will be your experience. If you believe in the inherent goodness in people, and that they are there to help you not only in your physical journey, but your emotional, psychological and spiritual journey, then that will be your experience.

- Peace is not about what is happening "out there". It is not about politics, ideologies, conspiracy theories... it is about creating peace within your own heart. It is about BEING peace so that you can offer that to the world in every word, act or thought that you put forward. All the great sages throughout time have taught the same thing: Peace begins within.

- You never walk alone. Whatever your spiritual beliefs, you are surrounded and led by a hand of Love that guides you and protects you on your journey. I have seen that Love manifested in some of my darkest hours. Paolo Coelho said it best in The Alchemist: "when you want something, all the Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." When you are following your dreams, living from the heart, all that you need does indeed come to you.

Buen camino everyone!
Mony

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for sharing this. I found it most heartening as I count down to starting the St Olav Way in a few weeks time.

Regards

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That is exactly what I needed to hear and the timing of your message for me is amazing and my fears about my journey in September have now been vanquished. Thank you so much for passing your lessons on.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Debbie (dmartin53)!

I don't see my earlier response to you, so I'm sending it again to say that the words have resonated with you. :)

Much love,
Mony

Thank you, Mony, for your words of wisdom. In the weeks following my decision to make pilgrimage to Santiago, I was beset by well-meaning people who either congradulated me on my courage or felt it necessary to warn me of all the dangers. Even the people who initially supported my decision are now the same people who are surprised that my intentions have not cooled but in fact become stronger and more ingrained.

I have been accused of being naive. True innocence is the willful choice to believe that goodness can exist, does exist and will be made manifest. It never ignores the dangers but instead, refuses to allow them to triumph. You are my hero of the day!

Hi Lizlane,

I completely understand. I got the same kind of reaction from family and friends. I wanted everyone to share in my enthusiasm, and was disappointed when they didn't or started to talk me out of my decision. They didn't know how to respond, and in their own way, were trying to help. It was only their fear speaking.

You are not naive. Goodness does exist. The Camino is so completely safe. Go. Follow your heart. It knows the way.

With all my best wishes for a buen camino,
Mony

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Excellent sentiments Mony,

it's always good to have a refresher course in dreams and goals!

regards.... Almis

Thank you, Almis. I see that you too have walked quite a few paths! It's always great to meet a fellow traveler on the journey.

Buen camino! :)
Mony

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back