• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Livraria Lello & Irmão

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Livraria Lello & Irmão R. das Carmelitas 144 - first visit the cathedral, get your sello, and pay to see the cloisters then this bookstore should be second on your list in Porto.
Alvin_Yong.jpeg
beautiful-bookstore-world-porto-lello-irmao-1.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are those your photos @scruffy1 ? They are extraordinary! SY
Straight off the internet. Family concerns (what if you get eaten by a bear over there? We've heard there are also gypsies!) have forced me to confront reality and I now carry a iphone, my personal photos are all on film and, blush blush, I develop them myself - wouldn't dream of iphoning them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I was in Porto in July, the crowds were so large at Livraria Lello they were charging a fee just to get in. I think it was 3 euros. Apparently you got your money back if you purchased something. I took a pass, as I had seen it a few years ago, but it is a magnificent store. I was told that JK Rowling used it as an inspiration for some of her Harry Potter stories.

Straight off the internet. ...

So you don't hold the copyright (right to make/post copies) to them? At the very, very, very minimum you should have posted a link back to the original photographer. Sigh - I am sure that I am the lonely caller in the desert here - but just copying other peoples work into a forum post without permission or at leat acknowledgement isn't right. SY

hard to appreciate (or enjoy) lello because of the crowds. their english section is limited, which is expected, making it difficult to purchase a book and redeem your 3 euro entrance fee. however, because of the crowds, it also makes sense to charge an entrance fee with the hope of someone actually purchasing a book. just wish i read portuguese...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was thrilled to find out about this bookstore a few days ago - the new Brierley guide maps-only guide is supposed to be released on October 11 - the day I land in Porto - and they've said they will stock it.

Here's a link to the rest of their image gallery (which should make @SYates happy ;) )

When I was there in April this year the 3 euro charge was in place and the exterior was, like the cathedral in SdC, covered with a photographic scaffolding sheet and there was scaffolding inside too. I can understand the need for a charge as almost everyone I saw there was visiting to take a selfie using the shop as a backdrop. I put my 3 euros towards the purchase of yet another Camino guide, the CP one with a shell on the cover and a hole through the book. well worth a visit.

It is a bookstore with an atmosphere and a clinentele they wish to protect, 3 Euros is cheap!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The bookstore is famous all over the world. Busloads full of Chinese, Japanese ,Koreans etc visit to shop just to have a look. So I have no problems with the fact that the staff charges you for an entrance fee.
Fortunately I study Portuguese and they have a lot of interesting stuff for me.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back