• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost in Irun

Marijkapaprika

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis September/October( 2017)
Del Norte - August/September (2019)
Hello anyone! I arrived in Irun and staying at Ibis Hotel. Tomorrow I begin my Camino and I am totally turned around looking at a map trying to find my way to the trail that starts at the French boarder. I am traveling solo and so far nobody at the front desk has been able to steer me in the right direction. Language barriers. Has anyone stayed at the Ibis Hotel and knows the easiest way to the trail? Any help would be appreciated.
I am terrible reading maps😣

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is that the church of Nuestra Senora del Juneal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"The city of Irún, on the west bank of the Río Bidasoa, is the first Spanish city on the Camino del Norte; though it might be more accurately referred to as the first Basque city west of the river. To the east is France, and if your inbound flight landed there your connecting train will cross the border without difficulty.
The bridge over the river here is called the Puente de Santiago and it is the traditional starting point. Be that as it may, the arrows are scant city wide so you will have to be alert and you may well need to ask around. Otherwise follow the signs towards the Estación Ferrocarril de Irún (train station, often abbreviated ff.cc.) "
(from http://www.wisepilgrim.com/camino-del-norte/irun )

I started in Irun on May 1st this year. I stayed at the albergue de peregrinos on Irun, and I would suggest starting there. Use Google Maps on a phone and simply put in albergue de peregrinos, and it will take you there. It's a very well marked path, and actually you should even see waymarking to the albergue. Good luck and buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks so much. Will check that out now!

This is a google translate with minor and quick adjustments of the trustful Gronze guide. Hope it helps. I suggest you take note of the churches and ask for them if lost or in doubt

"Camino del Norte starts at the almost abandoned bridge of Santiago as a symbolic starting point, over the Bidasoa river and next to the old N-I, which borders France.

So, at the exit of the Santiago Bridge, at the first roundabout, we turn left on a pedestrian and bike lane that runs parallel to the estuary, and continue straight on Santiago Street to the church of Our Lady of Juncal. Then, through Fermin Calbetón street and Iglesia street, we arrive at San Juan square and Town Hall, which we leave on the left, to continue along Calle Mayor for about 50 meters, and take the first crossroad (Fueros street) to the right, leading shortly after on the Paseo de Colón.

We take the Paseo de Colón on the left, cross the train track by a bridge, go straight following Hondarribia street. In the end we go out to a roundabout, cross it to continue straight ahead, go under the N-I and, 150 meters away, take a small road on the left. We cross the N-638 continuing straight and, at the information center of the Jaitzubia marshes, we take a path on the right (attention to the detour).

We go to an asphalt track that continues to the left and, 50 meters away, another to the right. Here begins the ascent to the sanctuary of Guadalupe (200 meters of altitude), passing first by the hermitage of Santiago, first on asphalt and then on track and stony path. The sanctuary is a good viewpoint over the mouth of the Bidasoa and the towns of Irún, Hondarribia and Hendaye.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello anyone! I arrived in Irun and staying at Ibis Hotel. Tomorrow I begin my Camino and I am totally turned around looking at a map trying to find my way to the trail that starts at the French boarder. I am traveling solo and so far nobody at the front desk has been able to steer me in the right direction. Language barriers. Has anyone stayed at the Ibis Hotel and knows the easiest way to the trail? Any help would be appreciated.
I am terrible reading maps😣
Just find the bridge...Puente Santiago, would you believe? Between Hendaye and Irun, Real close to the railway station. I don't know where the Ibis is, but you could always get a taxi to the station if its a long way out.

This is a google translate with minor and quick adjustments of the trustful Gronze guide. Hope it helps. I suggest you take note of the churches and ask for them if lost or in doubt

"Camino del Norte starts at the almost abandoned bridge of Santiago as a symbolic starting point, over the Bidasoa river and next to the old N-I, which borders France.

So, at the exit of the Santiago Bridge, at the first roundabout, we turn left on a pedestrian and bike lane that runs parallel to the estuary, and continue straight on Santiago Street to the Church of Our Lady of Juncal. Then, through Fermin Calbetón street and Iglesia street, we arrive at San Juan square and the Town Hall, which we left on the left, to continue along Calle Mayor for about 50 meters, and take the first crossroad (Fueros street) to the right, leading shortly after on the Paseo de Colón.

We take the Paseo de Colón on the left, we cross the train track by a bridge and in front we follow Hondarribia street. In the end we go out to a roundabout, cross it to continue straight ahead, go back under the N-I and, 150 meters away, take a small road on the left. We cross the N-638 continuing straight and, at the height of the information center of the Jaitzubia marshes, we take a path on the right (beware of the detour).

We go to an asphalt track that continues to the left and, 50 meters away, another to the right. Here begins the ascent to the sanctuary of Guadalupe (200 meters of altitude), passing first by the hermitage of Santiago, first on asphalt and then on track and stony path. The sanctuary is a good viewpoint over the mouth of the Bidasoa and the towns of Irún, Hondarribia and Hendaye.
.……….
This will really help! Thank you soooo much.
I am terrible reading maps. Always been a landmark person and have been told numerous times.....get with it! 67 and still learning! Your outline is very explanatory. Thanks!

Sorry for the broken English, I supposed that (given the time difference) if I checked the translation more carefully, there was a risk you could not read it.
Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Marijkapaprika - Did you find your way Ok?

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back