• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lycian Way, anyone?

Undermanager

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
Is this forum a good place to post live musings from the Lycian Way, and if so, which subforum should I use? I'm off tomorrow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ahhh the Lycian Way .....more rock climbing then walking in parts ;) . I walked as far as Kas ,where i gave up after days and days of rain . I walked in April 2010 from the start near Fethiye . Fortunately i took a tent and i had to use it a couple of times as the infastructure is not anything like on any of the caminos .
Have a good time ....lovely food and nice people .

Hopefully, there shouldn't be too much rain. September and October usually get about 5 days a month on average and the weather forecast for the next 10 days looks perfect. Since coming back from the last Camino in June, I've put on a few pounds and don't feel very fit, but slowly slowly catchy monkey. I'm looking forward to trying a few new toys; an Osprey 48 litre rucksack which does feel very comfy, a PowerPack for the phone, some newish walking shoes with inserts and some new, very cheap walking poles (the ones I bought from Terra hiker weren't good and got returned). I have some Turkey maps and gps routes loaded up on the phone and the GPS and a rough idea of the route. The rucksack with tent is all packed and I'm ready to go ....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have a great walk. I've got nothing helpful to add except I've travelled along that S Turkish coast ages ago ( not on foot). Some spectacular places, Fethiye tiny then.. A friend is also planning this for his next trip, was chatting about it a couple of days ago.

Personally I like both the infrastructure and sense of shared human pilgrimage I find on the Caminos, but can't say I'm not tempted, sounds like a great adventure.

I packed a poncho, but it would have been a nuisance if not downright dangerous to wear it on occasions . There are some places where the shrubbery half blocks the narrow track which clings to the side of steep cliffs , and i remember thinking what would happen if a branch ,or even a twig just caught in my poncho and unbalanced me ..... thankfully it was not raining on those days .
The track is not marked as such in most places , but as this is an old well worn goatherd track it is mostly obvious which way to go .
Be sure to take ample water , as on a couple of occasions i was down to the last mouthful ( one of the places was around Sidyma ).
I have the guide book by Kate Clow .....what a pity you did not do this posting a few days ago , i would willingly sent it to you to use for your trip .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Enjoy your walk. Sounds like you will have fun. It was good to meet you in May and to read your interesting blog. Will you be blogging this time?

Is this forum a good place to post live musings from the Lycian Way, and if so, which subforum should I use? I'm off tomorrow.
Hola, this has long been an ambition of mine. Sadly the current Eco-political situation in Turkey has put this almost in the too hard bucket. Good luck, best wishes for a safe Camino!

Enjoy your walk. Sounds like you will have fun. It was good to meet you in May and to read your interesting blog. Will you be blogging this time?

Hi @Felice, Maggie here, we also met earlier in the year. Hope you're keeping well.

@Undermanager, looking forward to hearing about this trail, both here and on FB.

Buen camino amigo

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You have found the right home under "Other Pilgrimage Routes". We did sections of the Lycian and St Pauls Trail in 2006 as we were planning to return in 2009 (but got distracted elsewhere). While we took a tent we found we were usually bundled up by local families and taken in to be fed, watered and provided with a safe sleeping place overnight. It was a bit overwhelming as our Turkish is next to non existent. Very rocky, not well sign posted but a great adventure, there was a big signposting drive on when we passed through so this is probably much better now. There are great guide books with maps put out by Kate Clow which have been recently updated, the website http://trekkinginturkey.com has info on the society that is developing this route and a blog… but you have probably found all this out before you left. Have a great trip, it's a lovely, wild part of the world.

Hola, this has long been an ambition of mine. Sadly the current Eco-political situation in Turkey has put this almost in the too hard bucket. Good luck, best wishes for a safe Camino!
I know what you mean Mike, I have always longed to get to Lepcis Magna but never managed to get permission to enter Libya. As long as you stay away from the border areas Turkey is pretty okay at the moment, my girl is just back from climbing in Greece and Turkey. The world is a dangerous place everywhere, even in your backyard and common sense is required. But it we put off our dreams into the too hard bucket we miss out, and we would have never made it to Palmyra before it was reduced to rubble.

Attachments

• 2006 Main Collinard 1.JPG
    2006 Main Collinard 1.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back