• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lyon to Le Puy transportation.

Richo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2014; Via Podiensis 2017.
Hi all,
Does anybody have any current information on getting to Le Puy from Lyon by public transport? I understand that part of the rail track has been out of action and a bus was/is required for a section. I will be leaving Lyon on 6 September 2015.

Thanks

Richo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Richo, I have no specific information for this year but in my limited personal experience, France has a public transportation system that expects to get people from Point A to Point D. If the train is not serving its usual route, they will either reroute you or figure out the bus support and get you to Le Puy. This is not an individual logistical nightmare that you personally will need to figure out.

All you need to do is book the train from Lyon Part Dieu to Le Puy en Velay on the SNCF website. We had to change to a bus part way last year but it was very straightforward. Nothing to worry about. It all came under the same train booking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bookings are already open on www.tgv-europe.com Journey takes about two and a half hours and cost is 25.10 euro.

I've got tickets for Lyon Part-Dieu to Le Puy for the 9th June. I'll let you know what happened.

Gavin

Hi all,
Does anybody have any current information on getting to Le Puy from Lyon by public transport? I understand that part of the rail track has been out of action and a bus was/is required for a section. I will be leaving Lyon on 6 September 2015.

Thanks

Richo.

The SNCF website http://www.sncf.com/ is showing trains from LYON PART DIEU station (the main one in Lyon) to Le Puy, mostly changing at SAINT ETIENNE CHATEAUCREUX, some going direct. It's s very scenic ride up the valley of the Upper Loire. Don't forget to stamp your ticket in the yellow machine before boarding the train.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,

Thanks

Richo.

Hi

just back from the Le Puy route and its now a train all the way.... and a very scenic trip. My tip is to grab a window seat on the rhs of the train if facing the direction of travel for the best views on the way to Le Puy and the lhs if on the way back to Lyon :) Depending on the time your train is either direct or has (usually) 1 change.... I took the direct both times. If you book online all the info will be there... sncf.com

Hi

just back from the Le Puy route and its now a train all the way.... and a very scenic trip. My tip is to grab a window seat on the rhs of the train if facing the direction of travel for the best views on the way to Le Puy and the lhs if on the way back to Lyon :) Depending on the time your train is either direct or has (usually) 1 change.... I took the direct both times. If you book online all the info will be there... sncf.com
Tks for that! Makes it much easier - especially when jetlagged :)

Richo.

Hi

what is the online link to reserve a ticket?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Excerpted from a previous post...

This year I bought my train tickets online through Capitaine Train because my U.S. credit cards wouldn't work with the SNCF website. This rejection of my credit cards was a new wrinkle. With Capitaine Train you just print out your email ticket and board the train. No need to compost your ticket. The Capitaine Train customer service was excellent in terms of clarifying a few things for me.

One more possibly helpful suggestion. If your arrival in Le Puy is late in the evening, make sure you communicate to wherever you are staying that you will be arriving late and ask for confirmation that you can get in.

I travelled from Paris to Le Puy only a few weeks ago by train, with a change at St Etienne. I had a two-hour wait in St Etienne between trains, which was just enough time for a quick walk around the town. If you're going to have a similar waiting time, it's worth printing off a basic map of the town, because the good bits are about half a mile from the station and it's worth knowing which route to take

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back