• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Madrid Barajas Layover on Way to Porto

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (16,'17,'18)
Finisterre/Muxia( '17, '18)
Portuguese Central & Coastal ('18)
Hi, Friends. I'm getting ready to walk the Portuguese Coastal Camino from Porto around September 20. (Just finished Central from Valenca to Santiago in July and can't get enough). Does anyone have experience or knowledge about the layover procedures at the Barajas Aeropuerto? I've read suggestions to take the train to the city, but I wonder about time exiting and reentering. Even though I have one ticket from American, the connection is on Iberia and I haven't found information about the connections. I will be flying from NYC to Porto on September 15, arriving next day at 8:30 a.m. with a 7 hour layover in Madrid and flight to Porto scheduled to depart Madrid at 3:30 p.m. Any ideas? Catching up on sleep would be my preference, but not too practical, so now it's Plan B. Thank you for any suggestions. I love all the route recommendations and stories about the Portuguese on the Forum. Can't wait to begin! Again! Irene

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Irene, take a good book with you.

You have enough time to go into Madrid, look around a bit, and get back to the airport, if you really want to. That’s too much stress for me – i.e. getting back to the airport in time to get the next flight. We have the same problem this coming Monday morning with a 5 hour lay-over. Last year a few of us took the metro into town. But because the Spanish don’t even wake up until mid-morning nothing was open. The rest of us sat in the airport café drinking café con leches, chatting or reading.

Take a good book with you!
Jill

Thanks so much for your reply, Jill. I bet trying to return in time with a five hour layover would be a stretch. And I'm definitely concerned even with seven hours, especially when I don't know what the exit and return procedures will be. A lot is unknown about that time in between. There must be some security checks, but would we exit after the general Spain entry process is completed, which could take a long time. I've flown in and out of Barajas several times, but have never connected! If I don't go into the city, I hope I'll make a few new friends by the Cafe and find a great book in between naps. Buen Camino to you. Irene

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum