Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March weather & What to pack?

SunnySA

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo March 2017
Hello Seasoned Camino Hikers. I'm a newbie on the site and to the Camino. (Apologies if my post is on the incorrect forum).

My daughter and I will be walking the Primitivo starting 15th March 2017. I would be very appreciative of any packing advice you might have for this time of year and recommended links related to this. Coming from sunny South Africa, I'm not sure what to expect weather wise on our walk.

In addition is it necessary to take a tent and mattress? I've read that not all Albergues' are open at this time of year?

Thank you :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome to the forum @SunnySA. I have not walked the Primitivo so bow to the knowledge of those who have, but from my Norte and Camino Frances experiences I would be concerned about the weather in March. March is still winter in the mountains in Spain and the Primitivo is definitely in the mountains. A tent in snow or heavy cold rain is not my idea of heaven!

Hmmm. My concern too:/ I've read mixed weather reviews. It seems we'll have to be prepared for all weathers:)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Agree! Hopefully a seasoned Primitivo can give us some good advice etc. :)

If you want to see which albergues will be open, take a look at the Eroski and Gronze sites. For each albergue they show the dates during which they are open.

I would bring rain pants, an umbrella and an Altus raincoat. Also a warm sleeping bag and polar fleece tops.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Seasoned Camino Hikers. I'm a newbie on the site and to the Camino. (Apologies if my post is on the incorrect forum).

My daughter and I will be walking the Primitivo starting 15th March 2017. I would be very appreciative of any packing advice you might have for this time of year and recommended links related to this. Coming from sunny South Africa, I'm not sure what to expect weather wise on our walk.

In addition is it necessary to take a tent and mattress? I've read that not all Albergues' are open at this time of year?

I have sent you a PM (opened a conversation) rather than go into detail here :)

Blessings
Tio Tel

Hello SunnySA, I'm starting my Camino in Leon on March 9th and I've made my own rain gear to customize it around my body and back pack. It will get wet as you get closer to Santiago. (From what I've read). If you're carrying your own gear on your back, make sure you try it out before you leave. Even if you just wear it around the house for awhile. I'm taking my oldest socks and underwear and toss them instead of doing laundry so my pack gets lighter and roomier as I go. Good luck and Buen Camino. Temperatures will be around 12 to 15 C. I hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello SunnySA, I'm starting my Camino in Leon on March 9th and I've made my own rain gear to customize it around my body and back pack. It will get wet as you get closer to Santiago. (From what I've read). If you're carrying your own gear on your back, make sure you try it out before you leave. Even if you just wear it around the house for awhile. I'm taking my oldest socks and underwear and toss them instead of doing laundry so my pack gets lighter and roomier as I go. Good luck and Buen Camino. Temperatures will be around 12 to 15 C. I hope this helps.
I should also note that there will most always be at least one albergue open in each stage. Failing that, there are other hostels that are not listed as albergues. Don't worry, you won't be sleeping in the streets. Don't bring your tent.

Wow 12-15C is almost summer for me a Canadian.

Here in Alaska when it goes up to 15C we're in tshirts an sandals. :) that's why when people say they are cold in Spain you have to take it with a big grain of salt.
Even at 3,000 ft I sweat like a pig hiking with a pack. LOL!
Have fun!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi, I'm planning to walk this Camino starting the end of April. Best and safest way to check if the aubergues will be open would be to contact them directly by email etc. There's a great guide by a pilgrim called Liz on here with contact info or also check out the Gronze or Eroski websites.

Clothes wise if you follow the normal layering system of hikers you should be fine. Temperatures can vary a lot in March year to year in Europe especially at the higher elevations so it's best to come prepared. Some years there can be cold snaps with snow high up well past March so you just never know. (Usually the chance of snow at high elevations should in theory be gone by the end of April which is when I'm going.) No matter when or where I go hiking on long distance trails I bring the same basic layers..... Wool hat (helps keeps body heat in if cold /windy weather or for very early morning starts), gloves (especially if using walking poles), a merino Buff, sunglasses (can help protect eyes in sun/wind/snow), reasonably lightweight /breathable but effective rain jacket, fleece top/hoodie, Icebreaker tops (long and short sleeve versions depending on season/ weather but always at least one long sleeved and probably bring 3 altogether wearing 1 or 2 if very cold), homemade waterproof rain skirt or at a push shop bought rain pants (personally I hate wearing sweaty rain pants especially in humid weather), full length hiking pants (I always wear one and pack a spare) and then Bridgedale socks (bringing 1 or 2 spare pairs) and light hiking boots for footwear (I've a weak ankle so boots are a must for me) and spare footwear for the evenings. This is not my full packing list obviously (although not far off it!) but the clothes I'd typically wear when hiking... the amount of layers depending on the weather. I'd probably consider bringing a lightweight sleeping bag too for the albergues too but it would completely depends on the places I was planning to stay (e,.g pensions v albergues) i.e whether I'd expect them to they have heating, adequate blankets or duvets etc. (I prefer not to bring one if I can avoid it due to the extra weight though it has to be said!)

Obviously everyone is different but this is typically what I like to bring/ wear in more temperate type climates or cooler seasons.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Hmmm. My concern too:/ I've read mixed weather reviews. It seems we'll have to be prepared for all weathers:)

Yes, you're right... the weather can vary year on year... so coming prepared is a good plan :) Enjoy! All going to plan I'll be on the same trail in April-May!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After walking part of the Primitivo back in 2010 I swore I would never be cold again (Remember a line from Gone with the Wind about being hungry!)
Subsequent Caminos including the Primitivo in 2012 I have walked in and also taken a full set of clothes from the skin out to include longjohns and long sleeved T-shirt/vest and fleece. I never walked in the underwear as it can't be removed while walking, but needed it in the evening and at night (pyjamas). I did wear both fleeces many days. Rain pants are good for cold mornings, you can take them off when you warm up. My slightly heavier fleece was my jacket as I like a poncho but a good rain jacket still needs a warm liner - preferably removable. Otherwise a thin waterproof one and the 2 fleeces.

A good sleeping bag but not a tent IMO. Personally I prefer a warmer grade bag and no liner, but a bag plus liner equals extra warmth. I used mine plus blanket(s) in some of the albergues.

Those from Alaska who find Spain warm are a lucky minority. Those of us from Europe know Spain can be cold, and those from warmer climates will feel that cold more. In March/April you are unlikely to be too hot, but those lighter layers may well provide the extra layer of warmth needed.

If there is snow listen to the locals and IMO in March keep to the route via Pola de Allande, not Hospitales, however good the weather seems to be.
Buen Camino

After walking part of the Primitivo back in 2010 I swore I would never be cold again (Remember a line from Gone with the Wind about being hungry!)
Subsequent Caminos including the Primitivo in 2012 I have walked in and also taken a full set of clothes from the skin out to include longjohns and long sleeved T-shirt/vest and fleece. I never walked in the underwear as it can't be removed while walking, but needed it in the evening and at night (pyjamas). I did wear both fleeces many days. Rain pants are good for cold mornings, you can take them off when you warm up. My slightly heavier fleece was my jacket as I like a poncho but a good rain jacket still needs a warm liner - preferably removable. Otherwise a thin waterproof one and the 2 fleeces.

A good sleeping bag but not a tent IMO. Personally I prefer a warmer grade bag and no liner, but a bag plus liner equals extra warmth. I used mine plus blanket(s) in some of the albergues.

Those from Alaska who find Spain warm are a lucky minority. Those of us from Europe know Spain can be cold, and those from warmer climates will feel that cold more. In March/April you are unlikely to be too hot, but those lighter layers may well provide the extra layer of warmth needed.

If there is snow listen to the locals and IMO in March keep to the route via Pola de Allande, not Hospitales, however good the weather seems to be.
Buen Camino

Tia, you say "If there is snow listen to the locals and IMO in March keep to the route via Pola de Allande, not Hospitales, however good the weather seems to be." Is this Brierley's stage 22 (Hospital de Orbigo)? I don't find the alternative Pola de Allande route you recommend. Thanks for great info. BTW, as a Canadian I will pack for cold to hot - I respect Mother Nature

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tia, you say "If there is snow listen to the locals and IMO in March keep to the route via Pola de Allande, not Hospitales, however good the weather seems to be." Is this Brierley's stage 22 (Hospital de Orbigo)? I don't find the alternative Pola de Allande route you recommend. Thanks for great info. BTW, as a Canadian I will pack for cold to hot - I respect Mother Nature
This thread is really referring to the Camino Primitivo (Oviedo to Santiago via Lugo) and your guide book is for the Camino Francés, so you will not find the stages there. Much of what is said about packing and weather will still be true for high points there too.
Buen Camino

There are talks this month and February in different parts of South Africa which you may wish to attend - details on Facebook CONFRATERNITY OF SAINT JAMES OF SOUTH AFRICA
That route is wonderful for experienced pilgrims.
Pam

The OP is on The Primitivo , not the Frances.
In March my honest opinion is to avoid the Hospitales , its a very long day , you are in remote country and some slopes could be treacherous.
One Hospital is on the flat after Leon around 800m above sea level
The other is in the clouds .
The opportunity to walk this in March will not be in your hands.
There will be days when you can't start until the mist lifts , please listen to the locals.

The 20km day on the Camino Primitivo is a 30km plus day on Camino Frances.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The OP is on The Primitivo , not the Frances.
In March my honest opinion is to avoid the Hospitales , its a very long day , you are in remote country and some slopes could be treacherous.
One Hospital is on the flat after Leon around 800m above sea level
The other is in the clouds .
The opportunity to walk this in March will not be in your hands.
There will be days when you can't start until the mist lifts , please listen to the locals.

The 20km day on the Camino Primitivo is a 30km plus day on Camino Frances.

Thanks I'm walking the CF over 40 days. Not sure what route you're referring to.

Thanks I'm walking the CF over 40 days. Not sure what route you're referring to.
The Primitivo is the original and oldest Way. It starts in Oviedo and ends in Santiago. About 2 weeks of walking. It is the topic of this thread.

This topic was commenced about walking The Primitivo which is the oldest and has in two stages the hardest section of any camino's or it can be undertaken in conjunction with the Camino Norte.
Many talk about the beauty of stating in Le Puy but The Primitivo is something special.
The Camino Frances is a walk in the park compared with this and most answers were based on the OP commencing at the end of winter.
In many towns there are NO albergues and you are over 1200m .

** Suggest you google;
www.mundicamino.com which shows every Camino Path in Spain.
Look up Primitivo and look at the stage from Tineo.
This is the part we are discussing about weather, solitude and snow.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just to try to make things clear.
Many think that there is only one Camino route to Santiago, but there are several. As we have said this section and thread relate to the Camino Primitivo, the first route to Santiago since 827 AD. There are also other northern routes too (Norte and Inglés) and other more southern routes. The Francés joins the Primitivo at Melide and they continue as one combined route into Santiago, plus the Norte from Arzua. Many of us love these less walked pilgrimage routes, and some of us have never walked the Francés :).
Just as this section of the forum is related to all things 'Primitivo' the Francés also has a specific section on the forum. Some names do appear on both, but do not refer to the same places. This can be confusing - I know of 3 places with the identical name, all on different camino routes - :eek:.
Enjoy the Francés, or maybe be tempted to the Primitivo instead :)
Buen Camino

Yes! Thanks so much for the advice Enjoy your Camino! X

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, I'm planning to walk this Camino starting the end of April. Best and safest way to check if the aubergues will be open would be to contact them directly by email etc. There's a great guide by a pilgrim called Liz on here with contact info or also check out the Gronze or Eroski websites.

Clothes wise if you follow the normal layering system of hikers you should be fine. Temperatures can vary a lot in March year to year in Europe especially at the higher elevations so it's best to come prepared. Some years there can be cold snaps with snow high up well past March so you just never know. (Usually the chance of snow at high elevations should in theory be gone by the end of April which is when I'm going.) No matter when or where I go hiking on long distance trails I bring the same basic layers..... Wool hat (helps keeps body heat in if cold /windy weather or for very early morning starts), gloves (especially if using walking poles), a merino Buff, sunglasses (can help protect eyes in sun/wind/snow), reasonably lightweight /breathable but effective rain jacket, fleece top/hoodie, Icebreaker tops (long and short sleeve versions depending on season/ weather but always at least one long sleeved and probably bring 3 altogether wearing 1 or 2 if very cold), homemade waterproof rain skirt or at a push shop bought rain pants (personally I hate wearing sweaty rain pants especially in humid weather), full length hiking pants (I always wear one and pack a spare) and then Bridgedale socks (bringing 1 or 2 spare pairs) and light hiking boots for footwear (I've a weak ankle so boots are a must for me) and spare footwear for the evenings. This is not my full packing list obviously (although not far off it!) but the clothes I'd typically wear when hiking... the amount of layers depending on the weather. I'd probably consider bringing a lightweight sleeping bag too for the albergues too but it would completely depends on the places I was planning to stay (e,.g pensions v albergues) i.e whether I'd expect them to they have heating, adequate blankets or duvets etc. (I prefer not to bring one if I can avoid it due to the extra weight though it has to be said!)

Obviously everyone is different but this is typically what I like to bring/ wear in more temperate type climates or cooler seasons.

Hope that helps!
Yes it does! Thank you so much for the comprehensive list. X

There are talks this month and February in different parts of South Africa which you may wish to attend - details on Facebook CONFRATERNITY OF SAINT JAMES OF SOUTH AFRICA
That route is wonderful for experienced pilgrims.
Pam
Yes. Tx . I'll be attending the one in CT in March. Plan to take my packing list with me. :)

Buen Camino
Thanks for the tips! Especially regarding the route. Clothing wise I'll be dressing in layers on top. I'm hoping my legs will be warm enough just wearing leggings or slacks liners under long hiking pants. I've been struggling to find winter hiking / runners leggings in Cape Town ... it's our summer... I am however sorted in the waterproofing department :)! I guess we'll find out soon enough

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks to those of you who have wished me Buen Camino pm! My plan was Salvador/Prim, but 1) cold feet because of a knee (old injury) and 2) would have to rush with no possibilty of short/rest...
We are arriving in Madrid on May 5th. I went online today to purchase train tickets to Oviedo and it doesn't show any train service. Does that mean the trains are sold out? Or maybe some other...
Hi, has anyone walked the Primitivo in mid-October? What was it like? Weather, tracks and accommodation? I plan to walk from Oviedo to Lugo only, then bus to Santiago after. Thanks for your input.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.