• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meeting people

Vicky97

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ('15), Norte (to Gijon, '16), Portuguese ('17),
Frances ('18), Belgium-Santiago ('19)
So last year I walked the CF and I loved how you would be able to walk (sort of) alone, but also were able to meet people whenever you wanted, there are so many different people walking the CF so it's almost hard to "chose" between them ;)

This year I'm thinking about walking the CF again (because I feel like I haven't seen it all, I don't have that much time (only a month max) and like I said I love the social aspect from the CF) or walking the camino del norte

So my question is: Will I meet people on the camino del norte if I start the end of June (like on a daily base, so I don't actually HAVE to walk alone if I don't feel like walking alone)? And is a month possible to walk the camino del norte (last year it took me a month to walk the cf, but I didn't wanted it to end so i started to walk really slowly at the end)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There'll be people. I've done bits of the del Norte on several occasions and ran into lots of them. Its Caminos such as the Vadiniense and the San Jaume where you'll be solitary.

The Norte has become pretty busy. Nothing like the CF (yet) but lots of people around.
Two years ago in September there were a few albergues completo. Most were first time European Pilgrims that had heard the stories about the CF.

Last June there were days on the Primitivo that there were always people in sight.

Times are changing as people start to avoid the CF.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Norte in May/June of 2013, and really enjoyed it. I chose this because I like the sea and don't like crowds. I too wondered if I would have company along the way, but I read that while their are less pilgrims on this route, the bond between them is stronger. It turned out it was the right decision, and socially I had a great time. I have never laughed so much and enjoyed such good camraderie.
Fairly quickly several of us formed a camino family and would often cook together in the albergs in the evenings, and walk together during the days. They have since become lifelong friends and we have met up in each others countries since then. My favourite moments of the whole camino where the gaiety we shared together.

Thanks for all the wonderful answers! Do you guys think it's possible to walk the camino del note in a month? If not, is it easy to return home before Santiago (like on the CF you could easily stop in Leon and Burgos and many more places) Also do you need to know (a little bit of) Spanish on the camino del norte?

The Norte is becoming very busy.. as already mentioned, especially towards the end. Be prepared to walk longer distances, especially when you notice pilgrims getting up earlier and earlier... just an indication that the bedrace is on... and it does happen on the Norte too.

Buen Camino, whichever route you take, Ultreia!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for all the wonderful answers! Do you guys think it's possible to walk the camino del note in a month? If not, is it easy to return home before Santiago (like on the CF you could easily stop in Leon and Burgos and many more places) Also do you need to know (a little bit of) Spanish on the camino del norte?

You can do it in a month but you'll have to walk a couple of long stages, which will be hard as this route has a lot of mountains to go up and down.

There are various big cities along the North Way: from Donostia to Bilbao, Santander or Gijón with more than 200.000 people, and others not so big but still enough to have good communications.

A bit of Spanish will always be welcome but it's not exactly indispensable. All depends on what do you want to do. To sleep and eat, you can go without a word of Spanish.

@Vicky97 , if finishing in Santiago is important to you then back-track using one of the on-line guides http://www.gronze.com/camino-norte to get you to a comfortable 1 month starting point - Bilbao or Santander perhaps. If its just the comfort of getting home without too much hassle there are airports at Bilbao; Santander; Asturias (near Aviles) and A Coruna as well as Santiago. The FEVE railway http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/feve/index.html runs all along the North coast. Its narrow gauge & slow but great fun. There are pretty good bus connections too.

Happy Planning

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking the Camino del Norte, starting in Bilbao in early September. Once I reach Villaviciosa just shy of Gijon, I know that there's a point where you have the option to continue on the...
Greetings forum friends. My fella and I are heading for the CdN in Sept/Oct (7 years after we met walking the CF). We're looking forward to finding our way along the North of Spain, starting from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back