• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first camino. Hello!

lukedarracott

Travel writer, walker, photographer, film maker.
Time of past OR future Camino
Santander to Irun (2013)
St Jean - Santiago - (2013)
Santiago - Finisterre/Muxia (2013)
Hello everybody,

My name is Luke and this April/May I shall embark on my first camino de Santiago experience.

I have previously travelled around most of Spain - usually by public transport - and have visited a lot of the main sites along the camino by coincidence. I wrote a book about my discovery of the different autonomous communities and this included some reference to the camino de Santiago. As I live in Spain I have always had the desire to do the great walk. Then through a variety of circumstances I got the writing bug and came to the decision to finally combine my two loves of Spain and writing and hike the whole bloomin lot.

It'll sound ridiculous perhaps but my route is as follows.
Stage 1: Santander to be Hendaya
Stage 2: Saint Jean to Santiago
Stage 3: Santiago to Finisterra

I'm currently rushing round the sales trying to get good offers on fleeces and suchlike.

Advice or good tidings are very welcome.
Anyhoo. Good day to all and buen camino to those currently on their feet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome, and buen camino. Your itinerary looks like a good one. I personally prefer Muxia to Fisterra. If you stay at the Bela Muxia in Muxia, the hospitalero will show you a book that "proves" that Muxia was the original pilgrimage destination. Of course, you can go to both Fisterra and Muxia. To get between the two on a bus, you go to Cee, then catch a connecting bus. Or walk!!

Hi falcon!

Thanks very much :)

I couldn't decide which one to really 'finish' and it really will be the finish. Judging by your titbit perhaps I'll finish in Muxia. Walking, definitely walking.

I'm currently starting my shopping in the sales to get some good deals on fleeces and micro-towels and all that wonderful nonsense that I'll need.

Ta!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Luke,

I'm walking my first Camino from SJPP in May, so maybe I'll see you on the path! Interesting point about Muxia, I was thinking to finish in Finisterra but I'm pretty sure I'm convinced on Muxia instead now, thanks Falcon269!

Buen Camino

Probably stating something you already know Kat, but the Finisterra route splits at Hospital, where you can choose to go to Finisterra or Muxia (similar distances). Either way you can walk between Finisterra and Muxia in a day.
allan

Thanks Allan, other than knowing that Santiago won't be my final destination I haven't done much planning for that end of the trip, so any tips are very welcome :)

Kat

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi again guys,

I think I will finish in Muxia. I don't know what I'm going to feel or experience, but it seems that that little church perched on the rocks would be a fitting end to so long walking. I think it'll be 1,100km or something in total. I know Finisterra is more lively, but I think I like the sound of a muted, personal end instead of a maybe more anonymous and jovial one. I'll be going back home to Madrid anyway. There's enough joviality here!

Strange question. Do you think people might be annoyed that I'm doing the camino but also writing it up? Are people generally open on the trip?

I remember on my first I felt the desire to ask people if they minded being characters in a book. They didn't. But somehow this feels different BECAUSE people have their own personal journeys...

Tally pip!

that that little church perched on the rocks would be a fitting end
Like most churches in Spain, it likely will be closed! Yes, it is a fit ending and quite scenic. I found Muxia plenty social.

I would not mind provided you asked me first, although I still might not want you to use my actual name. That might mean asking after an interesting conversation, or in other circumstances it might mean asking before conversations start.
I would say:-
Be honest and also be prepared to have folk say 'no thank you' and don't get a notebook out until you have a 'yes'. A few notes then shown to folk would give them a chance to say 'That's OK' or 'Can you change/leave that out'.

Good to see you asking our opinion now as you consider your Camino, it shows you are already thoughtful of others feelings.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the responses. I shall definitely be asking people first. On the first book I did I was writing it all post-event so I had to fish out all the contact details I had pocketed and email everyone. At least on the camino I can check with the people there and then!

I got my credential today. 13th April and I'm off from Santander to Irun.

I'm slightly worried about my idea to do the Norte route in reverse from Santander. I hear rumours that the way markings are a bit lacking...

Hope everyone is well!

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back