• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

My stages on the Vdlp

I came across another post here on IVAR that broke down some of your longer days to shorter ones. I cant find it again. Do you have any idea who is was that posted it? I think it made the VDLP about 50 days. THanks if you can help.
@Colette Z
I tried yesterday to post my stages on the VdlP/Sanabres, which were 50 days, including one rest day. But the program wouldn't accept the file extension, so I couldn't do it. I don't know how to change it.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Colette Z
I have found the file again and followed online instructions to change it to a pdf. It appears usable now and contains information on where I stayed as well as my stages. In one or two cases I was not certain where I stayed because I was taking that information in part from my credencial and the stamps were not always clear. I hope that this will be useful for you and maybe for others who prefer shorter days. Buen camino.

In case anyone is wondering what Balance is, I calculated each day how much more or less than my planned 20 km day I had walked up to that point. This was part of my advanced planning, so that I would do my 1,000 km in the 50 days that I had set aside for it. So my first day's walk was 23 km and the Balance for the day was +3. This was, of course, a running total.

Attachments

• Where I stayed on the Via de la Plata 1.pdf
    98.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Sorry to be dense, but what does the "Balance" column mean?

Colette, CClearly posted shorter stages too.

Hey you asked for my pack list but I never type one up, I just use a photo of all on my bed. I pack my bag and stand on the scale and et voila....if it’s I pver 5 kg I remove something. I think 6 kg is really good so if you can carry it don’t worry. I just finished my “plan” for my stages o am grateful to compare to CCleary as I remember thinking it was a good compromise to,Peregrina2000.

Sorry to be dense, but what does the "Balance" column mean?
To rephrase Albertagirl's explanation above, I believe that "Balance" refers to the cumulative distance walked relative to the cumulative "ideal" of 20km per day.

Cumulative "ideal" distance walked at the end of Day 1 = 20km
Actual distance walked at the end of Day 1 = 23km
Balance = 3km above ideal

Cumulative "ideal" at the end of Day 2 = 20 X 2 = 40km
Actual distance walked at the end of Day 2 = 23+18 = 41km
Balance = 1km above ideal

Cumulative "ideal" at the end of Day 3 = 20 X 3 = 60km
Actual distance walked at the end of Day 3 = 23+18+29 = 70km
Balance = 10km above target

Perhaps this metric would be a useful motivator. It certainly highlights the impact of rest days / short days / long days. Speaking for myself, I find that my "ideal" distance increases over time. In the first week, it might be less than 20km. Later, it gets closer to 30km.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Sorry all:
Raggy has accurately understood the meaning of this column. I just couldn't be bothered deleting the column, which was strictly for advance planning. On a 1,000 km walk, I needed to be certain that I would be able to finish it in fifty days, where the days were of very different lengths. My last few days were a little longer, so I arrived in Santiago a day ahead of schedule and had a problem adding a day to my booking at San Martin Pinario. Warning to all: if you send an email revising a booking, don't trust that it has been received unless you get a confirmation.

Hi,

look at this planning-tool: Planificador RutasASantiago

It seems that the Information is rather up-to date. But you can also see, that it is difficult to do stages of about 20 km every day. Some days you have to walk 28/29 km, other days it may only be 12/13.

When I walked with my parents in 2008-2010 we tried to average 20 km. We walked 47 days, took a taxi twice (first part of the third stage to Almadén de la Plata and from Puebla de Sanabría to Requejo). Our longest day was 34 km, the shortest was 11 km.

BC
Alexandra

@Albertagirl, the CasaCamino Riego is for sale and I’m planning on seeing it and trying to feel the village vibes of course it’s no longer open as a donativo given it’s up for sale.

Hi

Regarding Casa Camino, I spoke to them on WhatsApp in November, they assured me that they would be open from April 2019. I know that it's on the market and has been for some time.

Gerald

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I came across another post here on IVAR that broke down some of your longer days to shorter ones. I cant find it again. Do you have any idea who is was that posted it? I think it made the VDLP about 50 days. THanks if you can help.

Hi all!
Yes, I would really like to know the stages that allow for shorter days. The above mentioned 50-days would be ideal as I am very unfit now due to health reasons.
Thank you!

Hi all!
Yes, I would really like to know the stages that allow for shorter days. The above mentioned 50-days would be ideal as I am very unfit now due to health reasons.
Thank you!
@el nadador del sol
See the pdf file above attached to my post #102 above for my 49 day VdlP. I ended up arriving one day ahead of schedule, as I had planned for 50 days. There are lots of places to stay in the last day before Santiago, if you would prefer 50 days. Also, others have planned for alternate routes or the occasional taxi to avoid the few longer days. Buen camino.

Wow! Wonderful! Thank you so much <3

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed at Hostal Moya a few weeks ago. It was fine for the price, €20. The restaurant was closed that day so I can't comment on that.

Gerald

Hi Laurie,
Myself and many other peregrines I am certain appreciate this. I am planning on going on October 2 this year 2019 and was wondering if you think they are still sort of accurate. I will check them as I go on seriously planning my stages. I did the CF a year ago 4/22/2018 and now VDLP... I am feeling apprehensive due to the guide books "maturity." If you can kindly help thanks a bunch. ed

I don’t use a guidebook on the Vdlp, and I think the online tools are all you need. I don’t think you will want to walk the exact stages that anyone has posted, no point in locking yourself into someone else’s route. It’s a personal thing, and on some days you will walk more or less depending on so many different factors. But I think all of the stages I posted would still be possible in terms of accommodation.

Gronze has excellent schematic maps showing distances and accommodations. It’s in Spanish but easy to understand. https://www.gronze.com/via-plata

And if you use the “planificador” in combination with the gronze information, you can customize the stages to meet your own interests and abilities. https://godesalco.com/plan/plata

I think the best way to approach camino stage planning (at least for those of us who buy round trip international tickets and have a fixed departure date before we start) is to come up with a schematic that gives you a ballpark idea of how long it will take. Then add four or five days for wiggle room. If you arrive in Santiago as you expected, you then have time to walk to Finisterre and/or Muxia. If not, you won’t be rushed and have to take a bus to “catch up.”

Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Muchas gracias Laurie... I will check the gronze... Also exploring Guru Maps Pro I used part of it in CF it was then called Galileo... I have your stages on excel and now my wife is checking it on the map and saying alternate towns etc. she is a research fan. Again many thanks. ed from Seattle. Ahhhh I just checked Gronze thats the link my wife was looking at last Saturday closer to midnight... awesome. Thanks again.

Really fantastic info - Thank you for taking the time to write this and share.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi
Great stages
Perfect for me in October
Thank you
Lar

Thank you so very much Laurie, this is just what I needed. Thinking of leaving and starting at Salamanca next week...hugely appreciated. Buen Camino

Thank you so very much Laurie, this is just what I needed. Thinking of leaving and starting at Salamanca next week...hugely appreciated. Buen Camino

This post was made a sticky long before I was a moderator, and it is now 8 years old. I did a quick search to see if I could find more recent stage lists with accommodations, but couldn’t. So I will leave it here for now. It also has other helpful posts, like albertagirl’s short stages. There have many accommodation changes, I am sure. So if these stages suit your fancy, please make sure to check on gronze and elsewhere to see about curent accommodations.

And if you are a lover of ancient architecture, a short detour to visit Santa María del Trampal between Aljucén and Alcuéscar, was something I added years later to my Vdlp route, and it was stunning. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-del-trampal-from-aljucen-to-alcuéscar.50975/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum