• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

N120 Villafranca to Burgos cycling

Capaco

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept October 23
Can anyone tell me their experience of cycling from. Illafranca da Oca towards Burgos? Coming from Santo Domingo de La Cazada we found the N120 a little scary, narrow hard shoulder in parts and a lot of huge trucks. But going on the Camino in the mountains above Villafranca, could be tough and very slow and we hope to get to Tardajos tomorrow so need to make a decent pace. Is this stretch of n120, Villafranca to Burgos, safe or not do you think

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola @Capaco, I cycled from Pamplona in 2015 and you are correct the shoulders of the roads often are not that wide. That said Spanish motorists, including truck drivers are use to cyclists on major roads (but not auto routes/express or motor ways). I actually followed the pilgrim way from Villafranca Montesde Oca through to Atapuerca. From here there is a minor road that takes you to the N1. You can of course stay with the N120 all the way to Burgos but I would recommend that you wear reflective vests and have active flashing lights on the back of your bikes. Oh and do not ride very early in the mornings or late afternoons when the sun is setting. Large trucks on the roads at those times are driving to meet delivery deadlines. If you can get a copy of the Michelin Camino de Santiago guide it does have details of minor roads that accompany the camino. Hope this is of help. Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you can access Cycle.Travel (https://cycle.travel/map) or their app, you'll see it sends you on Eurovel 3 / N120. There is a cycle path at the side of the road you can use for most of the distance.

Agree with @Saint Mike II that the drivers are very good which might be influenced by the €200 fine if they pass too close to other traffic (not just cyclists)

I find GoogleMaps street view useful for assessing road hazards when planning unavoidable road walking. The first stretch of the N120 from Villafranca seems to have fairly wide (1m) shoulders at least most of the time. You can divert onto the BU-V-7102 at San Juan de Ortega and go via Atapuerca and Villafria.

I think at least parts of that route are also the walkers route but its all fairly wide tracks. No one will complain

Sorry just seen this and this is probably too late for you now but I have recently cycled that route and found that section of the N20 very unpleasant to cycle and dangerous with lorries even in bright clothes and lights, I went on the pilgrim path for a big section at this stage even though the track is very rough and I ended up pushing a lot

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry just seen this and this is probably too late for you now but I have recently cycled that route and found that section of the N20 very unpleasant to cycle and dangerous with lorries even in bright clothes and lights, I went on the pilgrim path for a big section at this stage even though the track is very rough and I ended up pushing a lot
Would be highly appreciated by walking pilgrims if the bicycles would stick to the designated cycleroutes and leave the footpath to the walking pilgrims.

@Chris & Winny as one who both cycled and walk the Frances I suggest that there is much it that, as Tinca suggests local roads. On both caminos I had to stand aside as a large farm vehicle, tractor/harvester I think came straight down the middle of the road. At more than 5m wide no one was going to argue. So yes please be a little more understanding! Cheers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Much of the walking route is on farm tracks, un-metalled roads and minor highways. Some of it is even on designated cycle-routes.

Let's all play nice eh?
Much of the walking route is on farm tracks, un-metalled roads and minor highways. Some of it is even on designated cycle-routes.

Let's all play nice eh?
I’m not refering to the shared sections, I refering to the narrow sections where pedestrians are struggling to to move forward because of thr uneven surface and have to give way to mountainbikers who find it a challenge to take this kind of roads.
If they would play nice, we all would be happy.

I’m not refering to the shared sections, I refering to the narrow sections where pedestrians are struggling to to move forward because of thr uneven surface and have to give way to mountainbikers who find it a challenge to take this kind of roads.
Yep, and if the local Spanish mountain bikers only made the effort to read this forum they’d have an appreciation of how annoying they are. Meanwhile you’ve always got your hiking poles….

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, I'm using the Cicerone guide for cycling the Camino and it shows both ways: I think todays gravel will be tough as I'm a not-competent cyclist, so we will do a mix of both. Appreciate the advice
Thanks for all the replies. We decided against the road because it was so unpleasant. We took the Camino and yes it is VERY steep, quite a job to push the bike uphill on the first stretch and we were passed by all the walking pilgrims, it was such hard work. Then we got going but had to stop again a little further, get off and push up again. Overall that went on for about half an hour, which is manageable. After that we could cycle, until about 5 km (approx) where there's a very steep drop and then rise, so for both its best to dismount which we did.
When we got to the monastery we switched to the 'alternative road route' which is well signposted. Although you eventually end up on the N1 for about 5 km, it is a great road, great views, and on the n1 part, a decent hard shoulder

Not all cyclists are mountain bikers, in fact most are not. We are finding the route very wide in most places and loads of room for walkers and cyclists. With lots of goodwill between both

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back