• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

National Holiday - 12th October

ElliotfromAus

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking Camino Frances beginning 11th September 2017
Hello everyone,

I am looking to finish my walk on the 11th or 12th October in Santiago.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with national public holidays in Spain?

What is and is not open on a national public holiday?

Can you travel on buses or trains on a public holiday?

Happy to hear thoughts if there is anything else that I should be aware of...

Regards,

Elliot.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I was in Muxia for National Day a few years ago and most places were closed. The local bar was open but they had no deliveries so they ran out of many types of food. I don't know what happens in the larger towns.

Regional buses typically go on the weekend or Sunday schedule. If you look at schedules it will say Domingos & Festivos. Nationwide public transport normally rins as usual, but to be sure, tey to book something online for those days and see what pops up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bars and restaurants are generally open unless the owner wants to join in the celebrations. The Spanish have their priorities right! Pharmacies, supermarkets and other shops probably not or at least not in the afternoon. But the good news is if the national public holiday is for a holy day the botafumerio will swing. Well worth doing without shopping!

Hispanic Day is on Thursday 19th October and is a national holiday

Most read last week in this forum