• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues & Bars closing in October.

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
Hey everyone 😀 Camino Frances here I come in October, God willing. I’ll start in SJPdP Oct 2 and go as far as Astorga Oct 25, then bus to Santiago before returning home. I’ve read here that albergues and bars start closing in October.
Will I need to walk further on some stages? How would you prepare in advance for the closures? Can you prepare or is it a day by day wait and see kind of thing?
Oh and any one with experience walking the Frances in October, please share your weather stories up to Astorga, no rain, a lot of rain? I understand every year is unique, I’m just looking for experiences. Thanks so much! 😊

😎👣🌻

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rain is a possibility in late October especially as you get further west. You might be lucky and get no rain, or unlucky and get several days so pack a raincoat.

As for closures, it's not really an issue. There are many places the cater for pilgrims and tourists. I did the CF as things reopened after covid and some places did not reopen. Also, some municipals albergues and pilgrim-only albergues may close for the season. Despite that I got a bed in shared accommodation every night.

If you're on a tight budget, you might miss the municipal albergues that close early. Personally i didn't mind paying extra for nicer albergues.

Be aware of public holidays both nationally and in the region, especially around weekends. These are times I would advise you to book ahead.

I guess there were 2 times i booked ahead following advice from others.

First time, a large bike race meant all accommodation was booked out, and the pilgrim -only albergue filled up quickly. I had booked in advance on recommendation of another pilgrim and was glad i did. People who arrived late walked to the next town and it was full too, resulting in some getting taxis or sleeping outside.

Another time, a lady working in a cafe that morning told me that there was a holiday and to book in advance. I went straight to booking.com and booked a private room that said "last available on booking.com". It was a wet day and getting wetter. People i was walking with found the albergue full and all private accommodation fully booked, with an extra 10km in the rain to get to the next town.

So it happens but with a little planning you'll be fine.. even to know when the next town is (eg is there another albergue in 5km and do i mind walking that far) -even calling ahead in the morning can be sufficient to reserve a room. A lot of people don't like booking ahead and say "we'll be fine, the Camino provides" and i suppose there's truth in that too.

I walked the Baztan and Frances from mid October to late November and had very few issues. It was much warmer in the daytime than I expected and quite cool in the mornings and evenings.
Accomodations were only an issue two nights on the Baztan. One town with no open albergues, but a helpful barman found me a bed. Another town with a Fiesta that took up all open spaces. A quick taxi ride took care of that.

I did have a few days of rain. That's just part of Camino. Pack your rain gear of choice and a pair of gloves and you'll be fine.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As you get closer to the end of October albergues begin to close. But being on the CF you should never have an issue finding an open albergue almost anywhere you want to sleep. Apps like Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim, and websites like Gronze.com have seasonal closing dates. But no site is 100% accurate. I would say they are very accurate through most of October then the percentage goes down. Albergue owners stay open or closed at their own whim or if there is a family emergency etc. If there is only one albergue in the town you want to stay in or you have a particular albergue you want to stay in I would call or send a whatsapp message the day before to confirm.

If you're on a tight budget, you might miss the municipal albergues that close early. Personally i didn't mind paying extra for nicer albergues
It's a misconception that private albergues are always nicer than public/municipal/parochial albergues. I've stayed in public albergues that were stellar with wonderful facilities, and private albergues that were no where up to the same standards. Also, I think that it's more likely that a municipal or parochial albergue will be open after October.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You should have no problem finding accommodation and food along the Camino Frances throughout October.

I have walked 3 times in October-November, and used all of my different clothing combinations for weather ranging from cold and windy, to hot and dry, to wet and grey.

It's a misconception that private albergues are always nicer than public/municipal/parochial albergues. I've stayed in public albergues that were stellar with wonderful facilities, and private albergues that were no where up to the same standards. Also, I think that it's more likely that a municipal or parochial albergue will be open after October.
If you're on a tight budget, you might miss the municipal albergues that close early. Personally i didn't mind paying extra for nicer albergues.
I couldn't agree more with your statement. In fact in totality I think most of my favorite albergue memories have been in donativos and municipal/parochial albergues.
A suggestion for @Antnix1, if you walk less traveled caminos you will hardly ever have to worry about where to sleep at night and I know you will discover municipals/donativos that you will create the best of memories. Not to say you can't create them on the more crowded paths. It is just a different vibe. Especially sleeping alone or with just one or two others, and a hospitalero who has the time to really take a personal interest in you and your camino.

I couldn't agree more with your statement. In fact in totality I think most of my favorite albergue memories have been in donativos and municipal/parochial albergues.
A suggestion for @Antnix1, if you walk less traveled caminos you will hardly ever have to worry about where to sleep at night and I know you will discover municipals/donativos that you will create the best of memories. Not to say you can't create them on the more crowded paths. It is just a different vibe. Especially sleeping alone or with just one or two others, and a hospitalero who has the time to really take a personal interest in you and your camino.

So, this thread is posted in the CF forum and I was referring to the municipal albergues on the CF.

I am aware off-the-beaten track donativos on the CF can be good experiences, but the municipals at the gronze-etapas on the CF can be quite grim imo. It is worth seeking out albergues (and restaurants) that provide good experiences but many times it's simply the more modern, spacious building with the best facilities (kitchen, common area, laundry etc).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked Oct 12 to I think Nov 16 in 2016 and had maybe 4-5 rain days. Worst rain day was on my way to Finisterre. There were a few towns closed down and I remember it being specifically the day I walked out of Leon. I was ready to get my afternoon Coca Cola in one town and it was completely shut down. I probably would have sold my soul for a cold Coca Cola. I got to the next town hoping to stay the night and everything was closed except one bar. I cried. A Spanish pilgrim bought me a beer and gave me a hug. I then had to walk 12km to Hospital de Orbigo where I ended up in an Albergue where the only other person was a guy I walked out of Leon who took a different route than I did shortly after Leon. I was wrecked that day. I think it was a 37km total day. I happily drank the potent liquor the hospitalero told me he brewed himself. Anyway, the point to my story is that was the only section where I recall towns being closed down. There were definitely other towns where maybe only one bar was open or someone was selling drinks on the side of the road but I can’t recall anywhere else where there was nowhere to stay, but I’m sure there may be.

So, this thread is posted in the CF forum and I was referring to the municipal albergues on the CF.

I am aware off-the-beaten track donativos on the CF can be good experiences, but the municipals at the gronze-etapas on the CF can be quite grim imo. It is worth seeking out albergues (and restaurants) that provide good experiences but many times it's simply the more modern, spacious building with the best facilities (kitchen, common area, laundry etc).
I think we have quite different feelings and desires on pilgrimage. Yes there are some “grim” Albergues on all Camino’s. Because an albergue is dark or provides not much more than a shower and a bed does that make it grim? Yes, there is an occasional dirty municipal, just like a at a private albergue. Grim or memorable is not the 4 walls, or the services provided. Grim is an attitude. Grim is an ungrateful, disrespectful complaining person in the next bed.
The definition of a great restaurant or meal is not the food, it is the people you share a communal meal with, or cook with. A bowl of lentals in great company is far tastier than than the 4 course dinnner. Yes the good restaurant may have good food. But good or bad it is the people you are with, or the feelings of the day’s walk that is remembered.
Pilgrimage for me is not about clean, modern walls, laundry or the good experiences restaurants and albérgues provide. On stage or off Gronze provides us a gift of knowing where we can lay our head. The reviews provide us with the knowledge of the happiness that awaits in a simple or modern place to sleep. It also shows us that as often as not there are are so many pilgrims who are not grateful.
For me, Pilgrimage is not meant to be easy. I don’t learn or remember much from easy. Camino is not walking “MY CAMINO”. I find that term self serving and irrelevant. It is not my Camino. I don’t own it. It is the opposite (a wise and wonderful Pilgrim on this forum put into words what I felt but could no articulate). The Camino allows us to have the privilege of walking. To learn and if we are lucky to receive one or two of its gifts. No restaurant or albergue can give us this. We walk the Camino we are given. It is not ours to take.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back