• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need to get to Bilbao from Santo Domingo

Poshlloyd

Time of past OR future Camino
Sep 2013
Hi, having to cut short my journey for a couple of reasons.
Got a flight back to Manchester on Sunday morning so need to get to Bilbao sometime on Saturday.
Help!
How can I do this?

Many thanks,

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Poshlloyd!

Sorry to hear you have to cut your walk. I tried to search for convenient itinerary for you on Sat., 07th Sept., but constant error was shown on bus companies web sites (Alsa, Movelia). So I could only get the trains timetable.
You can decide to go back to Logrono (50kms) or forward to Burgos (75kms) with local buses. From Logrono to Bilbao there are three trains on Saturday: 10:23, 17:18, 18:35, it takes approx. 2:30 - 2:45 hrs. From Burgos there are two trains: 11:24 and 19:25 and the ride takes 2:30hrs.

Hope that will be of some help!

Hi poshlloyd, Having had to unexpectedly cut a Camino short several years ago, I can feel your pain. But as everyone told me then, the Camino is not going anywhere and will be ready for you when you can return.

The Company is La Union: http://www.autobuseslaunion.com/es/
Well, since I couldn't figure out the schedule online, I just called the Bilbao office. Here is the schedule for Saturday:

9:15 am (no transfer), direct to Bilbao, takes about 1 hour 45 minutes and costs about 12 euros.

19:30 (with transfer in Haro), so it will take a little longer but costs the same.

The woman said you can just get to the station a little before the bus leaves and you should have no problem buying a ticket. Enjoy the last few days of your Camino, poshlloyd. Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much for your replies. It has made me quite emotional that youve done that for me.
Not sure which way ill head yet, Logrono or Burgos. I'd like to catch that 9:15 bus from Burgos but I'll see.
Many thanks,
Lloyd

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Lloyd,
Both of the buses I mentioned leave from Santo Domingo. The 9:15 am one is non-stop, the late afternoon one has a change of bus in Haro.

I don't think there's any point in going east to Logrono or west to Burgos and then changing to get on a bus going back and to the north to get to Bilbao. I'm assuming that the people who made those suggestions didn't know that there were buses leaving Santo Domingo directly for Bilbao.

Best to you, Laurie

Thank you so much. That is so good to know, as if I have walked to Belorado I can jump that same bus, but obviously earlier.
This has been an amazing help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Lloyd,
This thread just really touched me. Sorry you have to leave early..safe travel home. The people on this forum are wonderful!

I don't think there's any point in going east to Logrono or west to Burgos and then changing to get on a bus going back and to the north to get to Bilbao. I'm assuming that the people who made those suggestions didn't know that there were buses leaving Santo Domingo directly for Bilbao.

Yes, Laurie, exactly that happened when I was searching for the simplest way to get to Bilbao for Poshlloyd. None of the bus websites wouldn't let me in, constant errors :mad:

So, Poshlloyd, you better take Laurie's and whariwharangi's advice!

Take care!

Yeah will do thanks.
I just want to get home now, but its made me feel a bit better knowing people actually care about helping.
Thanks guys.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
...its made me feel a bit better knowing people actually care about helping.
Thanks guys.

It's all part of Camino, Poshlloyd. I bet you'll feel the same. Soon. Don't know what caused this disrupt of your Camino but wish you well and hope to keep in touch!!!

Ultreia! - Wherever you'll be!

Actually made it to Belorado, so I can get the same bus that how's through Santo Domingo.
Two slight worries.
There is no bus station to buy a ticket. I presume I just pay the driver.
There is no bus stop. Someone has pointed out where to catch the bus so I hope he stops for me

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Belorado bus stop is on N-120 just west of Calle Cercas. It will stop if someone is waiting. Look either for a sign or painting on the pavement indicating the stop.

If memory serves, buses going both directions stop in the parking lot in front of the Hotel Jacabeo. They speak English at the desk, so ask them!

Thanks Falcon, I was pointed to just in front of that hotel. I'll stand there from 8:30 and fingers crossed I'll be ok.
Hopefully next post will be from Bilbao.

I will be back. Most prob early next year. Maybe with a fiancé!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great news about that bus from Belorado and Santo Domingo since I think one of those places are how far I will get on my 10 day Camino before I need to get to Bilbao and fly back him. A question - how far is it to the airport in Bilbao from where the bus i stopping and how much time before departure do I need to be in the airport. It seems the bus is arriving in Bilbao at 11.30 and my flight out of Bilbao is at 13.00. Will the give me sufficient time. I do not need to check my luggage.

Hi Kimmy

The bus arrives at Termibus (bus station). You get the airport bus at this same station and the ride is 25 minutes aprox. Who you flying with?

Buen Camino!

Thanks MendiWalker! I am flying with Vueling Airlines. How long time would it take to the air port with taxi? Another solution would be to go to Burgos earlier in the morning and then a bus that goes to Burgos a little bit earlier. What do you think about that?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A taxi from the bus station to airport would be a bit faster. If you can get here from Burgos earlier would be a better idea.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train. More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back