• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New art coming to the Central Route--Porto and north--

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
"Nine municipalities in the north of the country, [plus] Lionesa – Associação de Arte, Cultura e Turismo, the Regional Directorate of Culture of the North (DRCN) and Turismo Porto e Norte de Portugal (TPNP) will apply for community funds – POCTEP, INTERREG and Portugal 2030 –, the Caminho da Arte project, on the Caminhos de Santiago. The objective is to install half a hundred works of contemporary art by national and international artists, along the 261 kilometers that connect the Porto Cathedral, in the Invicta city, to the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, in Galicia.

“We will make applications for community funds together with Galicia”, advances the project coordinator, architect Paula Silva, without, however, advancing the amount of investment required. “We are talking about 60 works along the 261 kilometers of the Caminho da Arte. At this moment, the value has not yet been discussed with all the partners”, notes the architect Paula Silva.

According to the person in charge, it is about “creating a cultural itinerary between Porto and Santiago de Compostela based on the ancient paths of Santiago and adding art to this route”. In fact, she describes, “there are exactly 261 kilometers of a path that intends to enhance the Ways of Santiago, adding to them the sense and significance of contemporary art in our 21st century”. In addition to simultaneously, she continues, “boosting the Portuguese territory and the economic development of the project’s partner municipalities”, stresses architect Paula Silva.

The partner entities are confident that this initiative will boost the local economy in this region, because “it will extend tourism throughout the northern region”, stresses the architect of this project, which is promoted by Lionesa – Associação de Arte, Cultura e Turismo and has the support of Portuguese municipalities and the DRCN and TPNP.

These entities and the nine municipalities signed, this Monday, in Viana do Castelo, a protocol for the implementation of this project.

Within the scope of this agreement, TPNP is responsible for ensuring the enhancement and development of the tourist potential of the respective regional tourism area, the internal promotion and the broader market of regional tourist destinations. As well as “the integrated management of regional tourism development destinations, in accordance with the guidelines and guidelines of the tourism policy defined by the Government and the multi-year plans of the central administration and the municipalities that comprise it”, reads in the protocol to which the ECO had access."

Original story (in Portuguese):

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Now they just have to find the money...luckily, Portugal and Spain both have strong governmental support for public art and for supporting cultural activities, so having made up their minds to do this, chances are, it will happen.

Particularly Portugal right now...2024 is the 50th anniversary of the Carnation Revolution, and the country will be working to display itself in the best light possible, and encourage many visitors. I think it will be a great year to visit.

Now they just have to find the money...luckily, Portugal and Spain both have strong governmental support for public art and for supporting cultural activities, so having made up their minds to do this, chances are, it will happen.

Particularly Portugal right now...2024 is the 50th anniversary of the Carnation Revolution, and the country will be working to display itself in the best light possible, and encourage many visitors. I think it will be a great year to visit.
Hmmm.

[Starts planning his 2024 Camino before setting out in the 2023 one. Maybe see if I can work something out starting by Sagres.]

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back