• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is your Top Tip for Central route from Porto

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Just a small piece of information that other walkers on the Central Route might find useful.
Last year, after a long day (by my standards), walking from Rates to Barcelos, I decided to push on to Tamel. This is a pretty steep incline, which was made more obvious by the 25c temperature that day.
On approaching Tamel I was greeted by a sign at a fork in the road which confidently indicated that either way was the correct route to Santiago (think yellow arrows, xkm to Santiago)
I tossed a coin and took the route to the right . . . think I should have held out for best of three . . .
Both routes go right past the albergue at Tamel but the right-hand one goes right around the valley and is a LOT longer than the Left-hand route.
I'm returning to Porto in a few weeks to repeat the Central route ( with the addition of the Variante Espiritual) and hope for better luck when tossing coins . . . . :)

Bom Caminho/Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you. Do you mean the choice to be made is before reaching the albergue?

Just a small piece of information that other walkers on the Central Route might find useful.
Last year, after a long day (by my standards), walking from Rates to Barcelos, I decided to push on to Tamel. This is a pretty steep incline, which was made more obvious by the 25c temperature that day.
On approaching Tamel I was greeted by a sign at a fork in the road which confidently indicated that either way was the correct route to Santiago (think yellow arrows, xkm to Santiago)
I tossed a coin and took the route to the right . . . think I should have held out for best of three . . .
Both routes go right past the albergue at Tamel but the right-hand one goes right around the valley and is a LOT longer than the Left-hand route.
I'm returning to Porto in a few weeks to repeat the Central route ( with the addition of the Variante Espiritual) and hope for better luck when tossing coins . . . . :)

Bom Caminho/Buen Camino
This very helpful. Thanks for sharing. My wife and are newbies and we are starting in Tui and including the Variante Espiritual in late September. I hoping you will post updates as you go with recommendations for route, accommodation and any other tips. Hearing from others doing the same route is very helpful .
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you. Do you mean the choice to be made is before reaching the albergue?
Yes, at the top of a large hill. You're pretty much in Tamel then. Both options take you to/past the albergue, left hand fork must be 75% further though . . . 🫨

This very helpful. Thanks for sharing. My wife and are newbies and we are starting in Tui and including the Variante Espiritual in late September. I hoping you will post updates as you go with recommendations for route, accommodation and any other tips. Hearing from others doing the same route is very helpful .
Buen Camino
This won't affect you as Tamel is in
Portugal; your Camino start point (Tui) is further down the Central route and is in Spain at that point.Very easy to navigate from there as the Camino Frances has joined the Central Camino by then; so lots of pilgrims to ask/follow . .
👍

Bom Caminho/Buen Camino
We also took that right hand option to Tamel! A great albergue once one arrives! Nice restaurant across the road from there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We also took that right hand option to Tamel! A great albergue once one arrives! Nice restaurant across the road from there.
The restaurant was closed when I stayed; but the hospitalero took food orders which were delivered to the albergue.
Fond memories of sitting at a table on the grassed area, having dinner with a well-earned beer and chatting withe new friends made along the Way.
(Conversation had to compete with the regular sounding of bells in the chapel next door though!)
Happy memories. . .

Frank

Oh yes, the beers in the garden were great! Great facilities. Lovely hospitalero.
No blankets provided when we stayed in 2022.
We managed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back