Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New way marking of the "via romana" between San Román and Ferreira

Juanma

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo (2015 and 2016)
Hello everyone! I have fresh news of the Primitivo in this area (between Lugo and Melide): finally the way markers ("mojones") are being installed along the "via romana" between San Román and Ferreira; they are also removing the markers from the other route, the former official one that went through Vilamaior de Negral. Hopefully this will help in less pilgrims getting lost by following the former official route, which was not maintained or marked since long ago.

You can see the information and some pictures with comments (also in English) in our facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/albergueponteferreira/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1895868640643320

IMPORTANT: the changes include a new gravel on parts of the path, between the public albergue of San Román and Burgo de Negral. In my opinion this new surface is not too artifficial, but you guys have a look at the picture and get your own opinion.
lso, the Ferreira River is not going to be crossed through the Roman bridge anymore: istead, it's crossed through the other bridge right next to it. This may seem less charming, but on my opinion it has a big advantage: on one side it will help wih the preservation of the bridge, and on the other side, it will allow pilgrims to actually SEE the bridge: a surprisingly large amount of them crossed over the bridge without noticing it!

Thank you and Buen Camino everyone!,

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What you are calling flooring is actually called road surface. In the USA this type of road is considered "improved dirt road". Compressed gravel. It's absolutely terrible for walking. But understandable since the Camino is not a wilderness hike. In order to cut down on erosion there are compromises that have to be made.
I think that I will look at the former official route as an option. A path that has not been maintained seems very appealing to me after seeing this.

Thanks for posting the information!

What you are calling flooring is actually called road surface. In the USA this type of road is considered "improved dirt road". Compressed gravel. It's absolutely terrible for walking. But understandable since the Camino is not a wilderness hike. In order to cut down on erosion there are compromises that have to be made.
I think that I will look at the former official route as an option. A path that has not been maintained seems very appealing to me after seeing this.

Thanks for posting the information!

Thanks for helping with translation (again)! :)

I don't recommend taking the other route, as that goes mainly on road, which is even worse. Plus they are supposed to be removing the markers from that route soon, so you are likely to get lost. However, ask me further on, when you are closer to coming, and I will inform you how the situation is at that moment.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am not a fan AT ALL of that new gravel surface. But I probably should refrain from ranting again. :)https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-fills-the-camino-primitivo-in-galicia.41665/

I know that there are groups in Spain that have filed formal complaints but it is probably a case of "what's done is done." I agree with alaskadiver that it is a terrible surface for walking, and it looks hideous. My friends who are agitated in Spain say that the Xunta just took the quick and easy (and usually totally unnecessary) option.

The stretch between Paradavella and Lastra,which dips down below the road and goes through some beautiful little hamlets, was the part that produced the most visceral reaction. But it is true that with the years, it will darken in color, get a few layers of rotten leaves and other plant material and be less obtrusive. But it is awful right now. Oh, I forgot, I wasn't going to rant. :p

I was saddened to see the same treatment for the section on the Camino Frances after Santibañes de Valdeiglesias - it used to be one of my favourite sections, the path running between glorious flowering shrubs. Presumably it got muddy and difficult in wet weather and hard for farm vehicles, but now it is a wide gravel road; it feels like it has been blasted through the section, and it is horrible.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was so busy complaining that I forgot to ask a question -- Juanma, do you know who put in the gravel? I'm assuming it must be the Xunta. Thanks, Laurie

Laurie, I'm not sure. The trucks doing the works belonged to a private company, probably hired by the institution doing the changes, which might be the Xunta or the Diputacion. As far as I know, the markers are a Diputacion responsability, but it could be different. Can't help you, sorry!

Update on the issue: the last time they were working on the markers was last Friday, so I thought they'd be stopping for the weekend and continuing today, Monday, in the morning. But they haven't! I went to check, and the markers of the other route have still NOT been removed. Maybe they'll be doing that later on, when they pass again installing the shell tile, kilometric point and painting the arrow in the markers...

Also, they stopped the work right at the Roman bridge, so that the next marker, at the top of the narrow path coming from the bridge up to the road where Albergue Ponte Ferreira is just a few meters further ahead, is again one of the old ones. It could be that the work this time was just to install the markers along the "via romana" leg of the Camino between San Román and Ferreira, and that they will be doing another set of works further on, in a few days/weeks/months.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So, Juanma, if they come back and start to flatten out the trail and pour in more hormigón, why don't you go and lay down in protest on my behalf?!:mad:

I will! :p:D:p:D:p:D However, I think they did that only in the short leg between the albergue in San Román and about 2km further ahead; the rest is untouched.

When do the albergues in Ferreira open for the season, btw?

A Nave will be the first to open this year, on April 1st. Ponte Ferreira will open further on, when we see it's needed according to the number of pilgrims, but latest on June 1st. :)

UPDATE on the issue: the way markers of the old official camino have now been removed, so the via romana remains as the only way possible between San Retorta and Ferreira. Alaskadiver, you'll have to take the via romana, I'm afraid :)

UPDATE on the issue: the way markers of the old official camino have now been removed, so the via romana remains as the only way possible between San Retorta and Ferreira. Alaskadiver, you'll have to take the via romana, I'm afraid :)

Okay thanks, I appreciate the update. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back