• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Osprey Aura 50 experiences?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Hi all and happy May Day! I am trying to assemble my St Olav's Way kit on a budget, using my Camino clothes and adding a lightweight tent, sleeping pad and down bag plus more food and cooking equipment. On the Camino I carried an Osprey Aura 35 litre pack, the latest 2012 model, and it was perfect in every way. So when I came across a cheap second hand Aura 50 litre in the previous 2011 version (the light blue or brown ones), I got it. It is brilliantly organised and takes all the kit - in fact it takes more stuff than a 65 litre pack I tried - and the back length and harness fit me perfectly.

But ... the join or seam where the padded belt is connected to the main frame sort of presses into my er ... let's say curvy behind. I have this theory that it will fit better if I lose weight so the padded belt wraps around tighter. If you are curvy too and used this model Aura, did you feel the pinch from that join? Did it get better with use because the padding adapted or flattened? Or if you are slim, did you not notice? I would love to keep it and intend to lose weight before I go next year, but if it doesn't make a difference, I will have to get another pack to train with fully loaded. Any comments or advice are very much appreciated!

Buen camino,
Linda

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used that pack and loved the fit. While it felt wonderful, I did not like the fact that the bag was half empty all the time! Torn between sticking with it and downsizing to a smaller bag (but the other Osprey harnesses are not as good as that one)

As for how curvy I am....I have a big butt although I'm not enormous (165cm tall, 58kg) Didn't have ANY issues with it. Hope you can make it work for you. I imagine it would be a wonderful size for the amount of gear you'll be carrying.

Hi, Rachael, thanks for your reply! See, that supports my theory that the belt fits slimmer people better and that gives me hope. My kit weighs less than ten kilos at the moment, and I don't think it can get any lighter, but I can ...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum