• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Our April 2016 Camino Itinerary

D

DavidsRetired

Our April 2016 Camino Itinerary

Sorry for the length of this post, but I felt it necessary to explain somewhat.

Although I’ve been on the Camino Frances twice, it was always as a proxy for my wife, who has Multiple Sclerosis. However, it’s always been a dream of hers to give it a go. Her challenges are many, but primarily pain and some balance issues. Medication can manage the pain to a certain degree and “Pacepoles” http://www.pacerpole.com (trekking poles) have been rather good during her training walks, in regards to dealing with her balance.

Regardless, as her health has been relatively stable the past year, we’ve made a conscious decision to give this adventure a go; better try now, as we don’t know what tomorrow brings!

As a preliminary thought, I just sat down and drafted out a tentative daily trip planner, which I’ve attached as a PDF file for those interested. Feedback welcome!

Now before I get ripped apart for making a detailed itinerary, please understand the concept of what I’m (we are) trying to achieve. In essence, there are many folds to successfully achieving my wife’s goal. This is not an individual walk, where you can say “…trust in the Camino to show you the way….”

In my prior walks, although I made a travel itinerary, it was only valid for getting to and from the Camino. Everything in between was as free as the wind and decided by my feet. So all the naysayers, be gentle and understanding of the logistics involved.

Although we plan to be as free as possible, it is all pending how my wife feels each day and what she is capable of in the actual moment.

So, I’ll provide a brief outline of my itinerary.

My logic was to draft a schedule which primarily allows me to sort out a realistic time frame, which then affords me the opportunity to plan flights and make other travel arrangements as necessary. Also, it provides a means to establish a base budget from. The reason I’ve drafted this so soon is, to allow my wife the necessary time to train and for me to see if this has the possibility of being a reality in 2016. She currently is able to walk for 5km unaided on sidewalks (this is positive); we’ll add distance and terrain as we move forward.

As she and I wish to start from SJPdP, I decided to make options on the itinerary for three possible route distances. Route 1 is a preferred 20k a day option, Route 2 is 15 or so kilometers a day, and route 3 is blank, allowing us the ability to choose daily, pending her condition. Again, none of this is solid, but just an outline for planning purposes. I need to know the exact distances between towns, especially those with accommodations, so I can make immediate decisions while on the Camino based on how my wife feels. The elevations noted are from the previous point, so we have an understanding of what she can manage or not.

Lastly, she will try to carry a small Backpack, but for all purposes, I’ll be carrying for the both of us. If necessary, she can send her pack ahead each day, and/or on rough days for her, she can bus/taxi as necessary, while I walk to a pre-designated point.

I think that covers it :D

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• Daves-2016 Camino Planner.pdf
    505.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That looks fantastic Dave. Your wife is fortunate to have someone who cares so much to attend to tiny details.
Hopefully there will be no naysayers, but can I encourage you by saying I have just this week done exactly the same thing in the hopes of being able to walk a camino with my father-in-law who has just had spinal surgery. Right now he can walk 200 metres. I have compiled a plan with daily maximums around 10km, and we will check alternative transport is possible for stretches that are required to be longer than that. For someone who is used to walking 30-50km, I am surprised at how excited I am at the prospect of covering only 10km a day for six weeks (plan is Pamplona to Leon). There is something very special about relationship being the primary motivation.
All the best to you two.

By the way, had you considered going to Roncesvalles via Valcarlos?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you so much for your comments, and I agree wholeheartedly in regards to the excitement of even a 10k jaunt. It’s a pleasure and a privilege to walk by any means, especially when health is related.

Additionally, all avenues for a starting point are open, and the actual starting point will be decided once we are on the ground.

Cheers,
Dave

Actually, I’ve been thinking all night that perhaps I’m being a bit too ambitious. We’ll see how my wife’s training goes, especially when ascent and descents are concerned. Anyway, perhaps, I should consider starting in Roncesvalles, or maybe Pamplona….

Last edited by a moderator:
As I understand it, you have enough time to see how the training goes.
Seems to me that you have a very practical mind-set, and given that, it is fine and justified to consider the more ambitious options alongside the more restrained options, until the most viable route appears.
The more ambitious may be daunting, but they may also be the ones that provide the special motivation.

Good luck to both of you, I have every confidence that the right route will become clear without having to worry much about it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Where-ever you start and however little distance you can actually walk in a day it will be an amazing experience fot you together. If your wife decides that short distances are better then be encouraged by thinking about the elderly lady we met who was walking annually from Sarria to Santiago 'to keep in touch with the Camino' (her words). Her shortest day was 2kms and her longest was 8kms, which for her had been hard as much was uphill. She booked ahead to be sure of a bed and her pack was collected so that she just carried waterproofs and a few supplies.
Best wishes for your planning and training together and we hope to hear when you finally reach Santiago.

I think this is wonderful! I walked with a very sweet man and his elderly father - the father could do about 8 - 10 Km a day. His son was pushing all of their belongings in a little cart he had found on the side of the road. It added a lot of work and stress to his Camino but he was so sweet to his father and seemed to stay mostly cheerful throughout.
A couple of things to consider since you are dealing with MS...sunny, hot days. These will be much more difficult for your wife and should be avoided, right?
And in the mountains and on higher elevations and descents- maybe you should be the one sending your pack ahead. I would say to send your pack ahead anyway and carry whatever day pack stuff y'all need. I am imagining your wife needing your back on some of those downhills. My sister has MS and as you know, balance is everything.
My biggest challenge on the Camino is not focusing on Santiago as the point of the Camino. Personally I am not walking for religious reasons...I am walking because I love Spain, I love walking, I love the people and the food and the views. But I still had to remind myself almost daily that I wasn't in a race, I wasn't in a hurry! Each day is its own perfect day of my time there and not something to be slogged through on my journey TO somewhere. It seems to me that doing this with your wife keeps this understanding foremost in your plans.
Also, it might help to make friends with a cab driver in each area you move through. I met one guy who was super nice to a woman walking who had some physical issues. He gave her his cell phone number and said he would drive to her anywhere in a 60 km area and get her if she was having a bad day. He actually called a couple of times to check on her. And he gave her the name of a cab driver in the next area when the time came. Just in case she hits a wall somewhere and you need a quick get-away.
And you know you can enlist the help of hospitaleros. Ask them to call ahead and reserve a couple of bunks for you in the next place as you might be arriving late.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You’ve hit all my concerns spot on. Yes, heat is a major concern for us, which is one of the primary reasons I chose walking in April. The concern with heat is very real and happens so quickly with her and often without warning. When it does, I need to react without hesitation and get her cooled quickly. I’m still working that issue out.

I had thought of having a taxi contact number on hand, and in fact was reviewing my options this morning, by browsing for available services. That will be a work in progress, probably up till and during the walk.

Additionally, the forwarding of both Packs, minus a small essential day pack, is also a consideration. I like the idea of carrying my pack, as does my wife to some limited degree. I guess for her it’s a sense of not wishing to be singled out on the Camino. But that’s not a real concern in my eyes, but understand the perception she believes she’ll face. She’s a tad stubborn, but that’s what kept and keeps her going.

In regards to pre-booking accommodations, I’m already compiling a list and will book those we know for sure. However, she wishes to try to be as free as possible, but understands her limitations. Nonetheless we’ll try to balance these concern as best we can, but I will know what’s around each corner, in case we need to stop quickly.

To be honest, there are a great many variables for me to manage, but I’ll prepare as best as I can, and take it as it comes while on the Camino.

As a side note: her father walked the Camino in the early 80’s when he was in his 80’s. So there is something deep within, which draws her to do this. So we’ll make it happen!

Anyway, thank you for your advice; it’s greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave

Oh please - tell her no one will notice or care if she is without a backpack. I sent my pack ahead nearly every day because it was too heavy and/or hot. Plenty of people do - I bought a nice day pack and had my water and other things I needed during the day. Also, I don't know if you'd find these in Canada (in Texas they are everywhere) but you can buy these great bandanas filled with tiny silicon beads. Throw them in cold water for a few minutes and they absorb and can be tied around the neck. Light as a feather when they're dry. I really wished I had one during my last Camino while on the Meseta. I will see if I can find a link.

P.S. Forgot to mention that MS is one of those funny disabilities, which unless you are visibly disabled, people don’t recognise you being sick and/or have challenges. As an example, when on her own, she must use her cane and/or something else (shopping cart) for support – although she can manage short distances on her own accord, without support. However, when out with me, I am her cane/support. For a long time, no one knew, and was shocked one day when they saw her with a cane.

I also just met a person who was confronted by others who stated how awful it was to see her husband so drunk all the time and in the mornings. He also has MS. People judge all the time, and do so with little to no knowledge. So sad! So I understand why my wife tries so hard. Yet it’s I who has to deal with the nighttime pain she deals with, which others don’t see behind her smile. But it’s all good!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh I feel for her (and for you). My sister was constantly accused of being drunk. She has a very aggressive, fast moving MS and was diagnosed very young - at 19. For the first 20 years she was always explaining to professors/employers that she wasn't coming to class/work drunk. It was infuriating and humiliating for her.
When Bush was governor he offered her a fantastic job. She explained to him that she simply couldn't do it - that between the time she had applied for a job and then went in to talk to him her condition had degraded to the point that by the time she got up and got herself to work she would be too exhausted to get herself into the building. He argued with her for an hour, certain she could handle it and really wanting to help her out. She didn't LOOK like she couldn't handle it! (A terrible President but a nice guy I am sure.)
I really think it is fantastic that she wants to do the Camino and I also think it is entirely do-able! Seems like it will be a very relaxed, steady-as-she-goes time. And once you're there she will see that being comfortable and enjoying herself is what is important - not adjusting to the tiny number of people who demand authentic pilgrimship!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.