• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Jacket for an April Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi and Happy New Year to one and all. I'm looking to purchase a new hiking jacket that is both 100% water-proof and breathable that I can take with me and probably wear most days on my Camino starting SJPD early April 24. Any suggestions? Thank you and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
100% waterproof and breathable is physically not possible. There are jackets that are pretty waterproof (meaning they are good for a few hours of rain) and breath OK, there are jackets that are actually 100% waterproof but they don't breath at all. Usually a pretty waterproof is more than you need and there are many to chose from. I use the Berghaus Hyper 100 and am quite happy with it, for most people that won't be good enough.

(I also would not aim to walk most days in my rain jacket. Get a jacket you like to wear most days, i use the Arcteryx Atom SL, and have something to throw over it in case of heavy rain, like a rain jacket or a poncho)

100% waterproof and breathable is physically not possible. There are jackets that are pretty waterproof (meaning they are good for a few hours of rain) and breath OK, there are jackets that are actually 100% waterproof but they don't breath at all.
From what I've read, this is true. I start my spring caminos in mid April and have been using a Frogg Togg rain jacket and occasionally the pants for quite a few years and it keeps me very dry in downpours, yet not sweaty. It is not a fashion statement, but it is extremely lightweight and the price is minimal.
I also bring a small umbrella to use in light drizzle without needing to put on my rain jacket.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
100% waterproof and breathable is physically not possible. There are jackets that are pretty waterproof (meaning they are good for a few hours of rain) and breath OK, there are jackets that are actually 100% waterproof but they don't breath at all. Usually a pretty waterproof is more than you need and there are many to chose from. I use the Berghaus Hyper 100 and am quite happy with it, for most people that won't be good enough.

(I also would not aim to walk most days in my rain jacket. Get a jacket you like to wear most days, i use the Arcteryx Atom SL, and have something to throw over it in case of heavy rain, like a rain jacket or a poncho)
Thank you, I appreciate your reply. Dont zip vents help ventilate when needed?

From what I've read, this is true. I start my spring caminos in mid April and have been using a Frogg Togg rain jacket and occasionally the pants for quite a few years and it keeps me very dry in downpours, yet not sweaty. It is not a fashion statement, but it is extremely lightweight and the price is minimal.
I also bring a small umbrella to use in light drizzle without needing to put on my rain jacket.
I bought some Frogg Toggs last year and haven't even opened the package.
So you like them?

Did you find you had to take off your pack, put on your jacket, take off your pack, take OFF your jacket over and over? That's one reason I have used the ALTUS instead - simple convenience. Well, that and it covers my pack. . .Did you have a pack cover? Did it suffice?

Annie, yes, I have to take off my backpack each time I put the jacket on or off, and yes I use a pack cover. I personally really like F.T. a lot, except they are not attractive. Once it's on, I usually keep wearing the jacket as I don't walk in summer. I always bring a dollar store umbrella for on and off drizzles and light rain, so in those situations I do not need the rain jacket. I have been lucky so far to have minimal rain overall on all of my eight Caminos.🤞

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi and Happy New Year to one and all. I'm looking to purchase a new hiking jacket that is both 100% water-proof and breathable that I can take with me and probably wear most days on my Camino starting SJPD early April 24. Any suggestions? Thank you and Buen Camino.
There are three types of Goretex I prefer #2 because it weighs less. P.S. I prefer bright colors Yellow / Bright green so I am visible at night and in weather.

There are three types of Goretex I prefer #2 because it weighs less. P.S. I prefer bright colors Yellow / Bright green so I am visible at night and in weather.
That's pretty cryptic! I understand that there are 2, 2.5 and 3 layer fabrics, but which one is your #2?

Hey Mark. My Son and I walked around the same time this year. I found a lite weight puff jacket made by Heely Hansen. It worked well for the cool mornings (45-50 degrees). I also carried a rain jacket made by Khul. I kinda lived in the puff jacket, the insulation properties allowed it to breathe and keep my core at a cofortable temp all day really. I wore merino wool as a base layer. Best of luck. I wanna go back ..

Missing the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Mark. My Son and I walked around the same time this year. I found a lite weight puff jacket made by Heely Hansen. It worked well for the cool mornings (45-50 degrees). I also carried a rain jacket made by Khul. I kinda lived in the puff jacket, the insulation properties allowed it to breathe and keep my core at a cofortable temp all day really. I wore merino wool as a base layer. Best of luck. I wanna go back ..

Missing the Camino.
Thank you, appreciate your response. 🙏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wore the Outdoor Research Aspire in heavy rains on the CF in late October/early November and found it worked well for me. The pit zips go all the way to the waist, which is a nice feature because you can buckle your waist strap under the jacket. It’s also good in the wind. With a long-sleeve merino top underneath, I was warm, but not too sweaty. I could also fit a Patagonia nanopuff under the jacket in the eveninga. The men’s version is called the Foray. Buen Camino!

Remember - LAYERS. Light layers to be assembled to meet the need. One layer needs to be reasonably waterproof. Hat, gloves, and buff are also very useful for temperature control. Keep one layer dry for the evenings.

Sometimes you'll use rain gear to protect against wind. Sometimes the day will be chilly and you need some insulation. Other days will be warm and humid so your needs will be different.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use a Black Diamond "Stormline Stretch Rain Shell" for rain/wind protection. If it gets hairy I also use rain pants (REI brand (USA)). The combination is pretty ok, but walking in rainy weather is always a little sucky, IMO.

For warmth... I have a Montbell ultra lightweight down puffy. That is not an inexpensive item. But very well made and I take great care of it, so it has lasted me like 7 years so far.

As @C clearly mentioned, it's all about the layers!

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25010&p_id=2301381&gen_cd=1 (Not waterproof! you need a shell!)

Last edited:
You will be starting at a higher altitude and will need to layer your clothing to provide adequate warmth. I prefer a thin lightweight jacket with a moisture permeable membrane coupled with a gillette combination. In addition the first layer needs to be a long sleeve active T-shirt to avoid claminess while wearing the jacket. In addition a long sleeve merino top would provide warmth.
Most of the time you will not need the jacket if it is not raining. The other 3 layers provide warmth with good ventilation. As you progress to SdC and progess into Spring it is going to get warmer and you can drop a layer or two.
On your travel to SdC, you are unlikely to need gaiters, but a combination of quick drying water resistant active trouser and shorts would also be a good choice.

I used the women’s version of the Rab Kinetic on last fall’s Norte. There wasn’t a ton of rain but it held up well when it did. Very stretchy, light and comfortable, packed down small and looked good for traveling or going out at night. I also wanted a bright color for the Norte road walking and got a wonderful bright red, happy on gray days! Pricey but a quality piece. https://goodsports.com/cdn/shop/products/qft-87_ruby_1_1100x.jpg?v=1678297763

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I bought some Frogg Toggs last year and haven't even opened the package.
So you like them?

Did you find you had to take off your pack, put on your jacket, take off your pack, take OFF your jacket over and over? That's one reason I have used the ALTUS instead - simple convenience. Well, that and it covers my pack. . .Did you have a pack cover? Did it suffice?
For the last several Caminos, 3 of which started in April, I carried a FrogToggs coat one size larger than I would wear without a pack. It is large enough to put on over the pack and myself, so I do not need a pack cover, and I can put the coat on without removing the pack. I carry a rain skirt to keep dry from waste to below knees and roll my hiking pants up above the knees. Total rain gear weight is 7.5 oz. I also carry a light down puffy jacket--8 oz.

What has worked for me personally in five late March/ early April Camino's is a light nylon shell jacket, a zip up fleece, long sleeve Merino wool shirt and some short sleeve shirts. Basically layers. Avoid a bulky jacket as they are hard to pack for the 90% of the time you won't actually be wearing it.
I carry a poncho for actual rain.
By late April, chances are you will be in shorts and short sleeves by noon each day as that has been my experience over five Camino's.
Hiking generates alot of body heat. My nylon shell is usually stripped off within the first hour in spring conditions.
Consider light gloves and a knitted ski hat for the early mornings as a warm head and hands will keep you feeling toasty.
Pack a full brimmed hat as a ball cap is insufficient to keep the sun off of your face.

Try it on your training hikes and return if you don’t like it. It’s very personal. I have always found rain gear to be very hot so I went with a poncho for maximum waterproofing and ventilation AND easy on and off. Once you get your pack on and tuned up, it’s amazing how reluctant you are to take it off!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Mark,
You'll get a million opinions on what people think is best, but if you want a high quality, lightweight, Goretex rain jacket, there is one brand which is always well reviewed by hikers, mountaineers, etc, and that's Arcteryx. A Canadian brand (and yes I'm Canadian but lived in Australia and New Zealand for the last 25 years). I've owned plenty of hiking, skiing, mountaineering gear, and I've always found Arc'teryx to be extremely high quality, and their Goretex rain jackets (Arcteryx call them "hard shells") are among the best. Yes, you'll pay a small fortune for them, but they'll last for years and will keep you dry in serious weather in serious places. There will always be reviews from people where a jacket has allegedly leaked or something, but Arcteryx continue to rank among the very best rain jackets according to the pros (whose gear can literally mean the difference between life and death). I've got a lightweight Arcteryx Zeta SL which weighs 277 g (SL = super light) and it's been bulletproof in week long torrential rain in the New Zealand Southern Alps. My other, heavier Arcteryx jacket (Beta LT) has kept me safe and warm in the Canadian Rockies in winter. If you want something which may be overkill, but which you can use in extreme conditions long after your Camino is over, I'd highly recommend looking at them.

I used the women’s version of the Rab Kinetic on last fall’s Norte. There wasn’t a ton of rain but it held up well when it did. Very stretchy, light and comfortable, packed down small and looked good for traveling or going out at night. I also wanted a bright color for the Norte road walking and got a wonderful bright red, happy on gray days! Pricey but a quality piece. https://goodsports.com/cdn/shop/products/qft-87_ruby_1_1100x.jpg?v=1678297763
We had the best weather ever on the norte last time. One month later on the Frances it sucked.

Hi Mark,
You'll get a million opinions on what people think is best, but if you want a high quality, lightweight, Goretex rain jacket, there is one brand which is always well reviewed by hikers, mountaineers, etc, and that's Arcteryx. A Canadian brand (and yes I'm Canadian but lived in Australia and New Zealand for the last 25 years). I've owned plenty of hiking, skiing, mountaineering gear, and I've always found Arc'teryx to be extremely high quality, and their Goretex rain jackets (Arcteryx call them "hard shells") are among the best. Yes, you'll pay a small fortune for them, but they'll last for years and will keep you dry in serious weather in serious places. There will always be reviews from people where a jacket has allegedly leaked or something, but Arcteryx continue to rank among the very best rain jackets according to the pros (whose gear can literally mean the difference between life and death). I've got a lightweight Arcteryx Zeta SL which weighs 277 g (SL = super light) and it's been bulletproof in week long torrential rain in the New Zealand Southern Alps. My other, heavier Arcteryx jacket (Beta LT) has kept me safe and warm in the Canadian Rockies in winter. If you want something which may be overkill, but which you can use in extreme conditions long after your Camino is over, I'd highly recommend looking at them.
Thank you, I really appreciate your reply, and in doings wish a very Happy New year. Stay safe. 😊🙏

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am also starting the Norte in April 2024 and am curious about a rain poncho. I don't have any experience with ponchos aside from very cheap, flimsy dollar store varieties. Could anyone direct me to a tried and true pick?

I am also starting the Norte in April 2024 and am curious about a rain poncho. I don't have any experience with ponchos aside from very cheap, flimsy dollar store varieties. Could anyone direct me to a tried and true pick?

I used this poncho; it work well for the three days or so of rain in April 2023. I purchased it in orange to make myself easliy seen while walking along the road.

I used this poncho; it work well for the three days or so of rain in April 2023. I purchased it in orange to make myself easliy seen while walking along the road.
Thank you. Have since purchase an Altus in orange and Rab Mustag Gaitors. So fingers crossed.👍

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.