• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Pedra Furada

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I haven't seen anyone mention this funny little town between Rates and Barcelos on the Portugues. It is named for a large stone with a hole in it sitting next to the church. The story is that a saint was buried alive and he escaped by poking his head through this rock, creating the hole. From what I read, the rock pre-dates the ch urch and town. It's a strange thing - not perfectly round like a millstone. I wonder if it is Roman.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I missed it, Jill, in early May this year! Bummer!

Hey there @JillGat. I remember the church, and the albergue there, even took a photo as I passed by. However, didn't know about the stone or the legend. Thank-you! I was able to find the stone on Google maps, street view! I will be sure to find it the next time! Very interesting legend. I also would be curious as to the stone's actual origin, if anyone knows.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I first read about this rock and went looking for it at the wrong church in the wrong town. (I didn't see any town names). When I saw this up on a balcony, I knew I was on the right track. None of the pilgrims I met had heard of it.

Attachments

• portugues pic pedra furtada statue.jpg
    797.9 KB · Views: 39
I first read about this rock and went looking for it at the wrong church in the wrong town. (I didn't see any town names). When I saw this up on a balcony, I knew I was on the right track. None of the pilgrims I met had heard of it.
Yes, it's a shame how many of us, ignorant of the amazing history of most of these places, just walk on by! That's why this forum is so valuable! I can update my eBooks when I see such great information, that often comes from astute pilgrims like you!

See it on the street view (second pic)?

Attachments

• pedra furada map.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • pedra furada street view.png
    452 KB · Views: 10
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum