• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage Nostalgia

canis_major

Time of past OR future Camino
Did 200km in 2012. Did some more kms in 2014! and also volunteered as a hospitalero at an albergue for 2 weeks!

The BBC produced a documentary series called Civilisation which was aired in 1969. In Part 2 of the series, called "The Great Thaw" (embeded here), Kenneth Clark visited the Abbey of Cluny, and other abbeys in France after the Cluniac style.

What might be of interest to visitors to this forum are the following:

@ 07:05 minutes: Abbey of Cluny

@ 09:15 minutes: Abbey of Mossaic, where he mentions it being on the pilgrimage route to Compostella

@16:30 mins: Conques / St Foy (he mentions pilgrimage again)

@23:25 mins: Abbey of Vezelay "where the pilgrims gathered".

Being nearly 45 years old now, the footage gives a sense of continuity with the past, as well as a bit of nostalgia as to how things looked all those years ago.

Not many pilgrims in sight!

Gerry

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for this marvelous documentary. Moissac and Conques were fantastic to see again and I will be leaving Jerusalem for Vezelay in April for the first time-a nice introduction. My only problem? The script read by Clark rather romanticizes and sanitizes the First Crusade, forgetting to mention that as the restless Normans and thethousands of pilgrims, the peasants under Peter the hermit and the Crusaders marched through Europe on their way to liberate Jerusalem from the hands of the perfidious infidels, they also murdered thousands of the Jews of Speyer, Trier, and Mainz, the Orthodox Christians in the Balkans, and almost anyone else who could not or would not support them. Much better of course to focus on the beautiful images in the documentary but his shallow glossed over interpretation of the First Crusade leaves me with a bad taste.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for that Gerry. Wonderful to see the programme again.
Now to find out how to download the series onto my tablet - to watch during my Camino this year.

Regds
Gerard

Thanks Gerard. I actually have the series on DVD as well - bought it 10 years ago. Was delighted to see it on YouTube as one of the DVDs is faulty!

Thank you for this marvelous documentary. Moissac and Conques were fantastic to see again and I will be leaving Jerusalem for Vezelay in April for the first time-a nice introduction. My only problem? The script read by Clark rather romanticizes and sanitizes the First Crusade, forgetting to mention that as the restless Normans and thethousands of pilgrims, the peasants under Peter the hermit and the Crusaders marched through Europe on their way to liberate Jerusalem from the hands of the perfidious infidels, they also murdered thousands of the Jews of Speyer, Trier, and Mainz, the Orthodox Christians in the Balkans, and almost anyone else who could not or would not support them. Much better of course to focus on the beautiful images in the documentary but his shallow glossed over interpretation of the First Crusade leaves me with a bad taste.

Thanks Scruffy1. Yes I agree with you. The Crusades in general were a great mistake in history, to say the very least, and left a negative legacy to this day.

But I am fascinated by the footage, the art history, the scenary. Not sure whether it is this episode or a later one, but he also shows Assisi, which brought back memories of when I visited there. Also there is a nice piece on Charlemagne's throne in Aix la Chapelle, now Aachen. It is just fascinating, and beautiful.

Terry Jones did a great documentary series on the Crusades for the BBC. Very entertaining and captured the utter ridiculousness of the whole concept of crusading. Not exactly serious, academic history (no surprise as it's written by an ex-Python) but very good all the same.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've just noticed that the link I embedded above to YouTube is no longer available. However, should anyone else be interested in the this particular episode (Episode 2), if you do a search "Civilisation The Great Thaw" on YouTube other uploads are available. Cheers. Gerry

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm new here and to the Camino, but trying to take advantage of a last minute opportunity to get off work for about 3 weeks including travel. I had hoped to do Le Puy to Cahors including the...
Hi. I walked from Le Puy to Conques last October. I'm planning to resume in a couple of weeks with the aim of getting to Roncesvalles (or as far as I can). My pilgrim credential is half full with...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back