• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to stay in Porto

WIGWAM

Time of past OR future Camino
CF -Santiago 2011.Porto to Santiago with Son 2012.
Hi ,I am landing in Porto at the end of March with my son and want to start the Camino from Matosinhos early next morning ( John Brierley's-green route).
Can anyone advise me of the best place to stay the night? We land at 5.30 pm and the book advises us to take a train or bus to the starting point and yet the start only looks to be about 8km from Catedral. Would a taxi not be the best option?
I joined this forum before I did the camino from SJDP over a year ago and am very rusty having never used any forums before. Sorry for any errors. Any advice would be appreciated.Many thanks
Wigwam :|

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
WIGWAM said:
... landing in Porto at the end of March with my son....
Can anyone advise me of the best place to stay the night?
We stayed at an excellent new B&B hotel near the old town: Hotel Porto Centro - Praça da Batalha http://www.hotelbb.pt. Interesting rate, and not far from metro and bus stations.

WIGWAM said:
Hi ,I am landing in Porto at the end of March with my son and want to start the Camino from Matosinhos early next morning ( John Brierley's-green route).
Can anyone advise me of the best place to stay the night? We land at 5.30 pm and the book advises us to take a train or bus to the starting point and yet the start only looks to be about 8km from Catedral. Would a taxi not be the best option?
I joined this forum before I did the camino from SJDP over a year ago and am very rusty having never used any forums before. Sorry for any errors. Any advice would be appreciated.Many thanks
Wigwam :|

I stayed at "Yes" Hostel. Nice place clean and friendly staff. 15-18 Euros per bed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the advise,I think We will try the Hostel. Looking forward to the camino again, but am sure it will be a lot quieter on this route.Thanks again. Wigwam

Poets hostel.
Great location a few metres from the camino at the top of the old town. Decked out and run with care.
Options of sharing in small or large dormitories or private double rooms. I had lovely private room with twin beds for €40 and stayed two nights. You can cook in the kitchen but I partook of the fab (€8) evening communal meals (veggie options cooked specially) shared with a variety of interesting people and some great wine. I was the only pilgrim. Our host, Sé, had a soft spot for Charlie Haden (who has good credentials in Portugal, having once been incarcerated by the dictatorship) and Shirley Horn, which was an unexpected bonus. I will be going back.
edited, inc adding this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9h3KBFPM2k

Porto is a gorgeous city! If you have the time, plan to stay at least a day before you walk out. The river, the port wine, the historic center, all make Porto a world-class European destination.

I stayed at two hostels in Porto in May 2012. Both were fantastic - clean, great facilities, inexpensive, in the center, breakfast included, excellent hospitality.

Dixo's Oporto Hostel - one minute walk from the river, 5 minute walk from the cathedral, had the better breakfast, lots of stairs

Garden House Hostel - huge dorm rooms, co-ed bathrooms, 5-minute walk from the cathedral, close to market

I found both on http://www.hostelbookers.com. The reviews were really good, and they turned out to be accurate.

You can also see reviews for Porto hostels on http://www.tripadvisor.com

Enjoy and buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stayed at both the Poets and Yes! hostels. Both have the option for communal dinner (additional cost) and include a breakfast (I liked Poets breakfast better than Yes!). Poets was a bit more relaxing atmosphere vs the Yes!, so it would depend on what you are looking for in a hostel. They are just around the corner from each other and not far from the Se Cathedral and the Sao Bento metro stop. Both are kept clean and have nice facilities.

TS

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back