• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Plain ol' sheet?

holyscapes

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Hi,

Travel sheets and sleeping bag liners seem pricey and claustrophobic.
I am thinking of just bringing a plain ol' large sheet.

Bad idea?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would fold the sheet in half and sew the bottom and part of the way up the open side - that way you create a pocket for yourself and the sheet is more likely to stay on your body during the night. You also have a place at your feet to stash things while you are sleeping (wallet, passport, etc).

The only downsides that I can think of are weight (regular sheet is heavier than a travel sheet), and the regular sheet probably takes longer to dry when washed. You probably want to wash it every week or two, but can maybe make wash day coincide with a windy day so it dries fast.

I would fold the sheet in half and sew the bottom and part of the way up the open side

That's the set-up I've been using for many years now and I'm fully satisfied.
The only variation is that I used velcro rather than sewing it. That way I can modify the opening according to needs.
As for weight, I use a light and confortable coton material.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can get silk liners very inexpensively on AliExpress

If you search around you can find a bag liner fairly cheap. I have one that is synthetic, sort of a faux silk. I think it cost about 5 euros when I bought it about 3 years ago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum