• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porriño albergue removes kitchenware

dillsburger

Peregrino
Time of past OR future Camino
2012 - 2019, 2021 - 2023 CF, CP, CN
Walking the CP in late May/early June, we discovered that the Porriño municipal albergue removed all the kitchenware (pots, plates, silverware) from its kitchen. It also does not have a refrigerator. It's a shame because it is a nice kitchen otherwise and it has a nice dining area (plus there's a nice market down the street). I suppose the intent is to drive peregrinos to the local restaurants. Still, there's nothing better than the camaraderie of peregrinos over meals prepared and shared in the albergue.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It wasn't a great kitchen before, very sparsely equipped, but still the conditions were there to be a good one. With the long days now, you could eat on the lawn by the river...
I totaly agree, having pilgrims eat together, even if not sharing the same meal, is great.

Walking the CP in late May/early June, we discovered that the Porriño municipal albergue removed all the kitchenware (pots, plates, silverware) from its kitchen. It also does not have a refrigerator. It's a shame because it is a nice kitchen otherwise and it has a nice dining area (plus there's a nice market down the street). I suppose the intent is to drive peregrinos to the local restaurants. Still, there's nothing better than the camaraderie of peregrinos over meals prepared and shared in the albergue.
all that was 'gone' already in years before.
i asked the ospedaliero (spelling?) about it - (there was not a single item to be found in the kitchen: zero cups/silverware/pots/plates etc. most bare bone kitchen ever)
and he responded that this was decided due to pilgrims leaving the kitchen in disarray - funky, dirty, not cleaned-up after usages... frat-house style i presume.

i could not detect the intend to drive pilgrims to local restaurants behind the sentences/explanations of that kind man. (May 2014) - i suppose he and others were simply fed up to clean up after adults. - he was quite apologetic, because he knew/realized that the 'kitchenwarewithholding strategy' would also affect responsible pilgrims who do clean up after their kitchen usage.
and i quite understand his/their point.
in that albergue i had to witness other pilgrims who left behind a sobering mess on/around their bunk beds ... leaving others to clean up after them while they trotted off into the sunrise.... ablaze in oblivion about their neglect/action?!
or simply lazy?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lol...good thing I wasn't walking behind them. I would have put it all in a plastic garbage bag and caught up with them ...intentionally...and hand it to them and tell them...oh you forgot something and something along the lines of maybe you should get your poop in gear pal. I'm not one to mince words...sometimes people need to be told. I'm sure I wouldn't be the most popular person on the camino because I don't give a flying fig if someone thinks I am rude or not. If a person needs a reminder at that age they deserve a good telling off.

If I'm not mistaken didn't the muni in Logrono do this a couple of years ago for exactly the same reason.

Unfortunately we found this to be the case from Sarria on to Santiago in 2012. There were beautiful kitchens with stoves - but not even a utensil to heat water. So with muslie bars to start the day we headed for the first cafe!!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry but I call that greed! some peligrinos are on a budget and you pull that on them, people should boycot the place.

Sorry but I call that greed! some peligrinos are on a budget and you pull that on them, people should boycot the place.
But then how do you police the one's that don't clean up after themselves. It is quite a conundrum.
Example, I bought food to prepare for my dinner in Puenta la Reina and it was too much for one person to eat, I shared it after doing a chef's mess in the kitchen and the young ladies who ate with me did the clean up, but all to often I think people who cook a meal for themselves or to share will leave a big mess for the hospitaleros to clean up the next morning. Sorry for the generalization, but it is true.

In 2010 I worked as hospitalera in a private albergue i Galicia. Some mornings the albergue looked very nice before cleaning, other times it was a complete mess, specialy the kitchen area end the bathrooms. I could not believe, that adults could be so messy ;( More animals than humans !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Seems like a good idea/plan to get people out into the community to interact with the Spanish, eat real Spanish food, and help the local economy.

But disappointing, I'm sure, if you are on a super tight budget and anticipate being able to cook.

I agree with you but buying stuff at a local tiendra and doing a communal meals also contributes to the economy.
BTW the best place to eat in Porrino is just a short walk from the albergue over the bridge at the bar Paso a Nivel.

But then how do you police the one's that don't clean up after themselves. It is quite a conundrum.
Example, I bought food to prepare for my dinner in Puenta la Reina and it was too much for one person to eat, I shared it after doing a chef's mess in the kitchen and the young ladies who ate with me did the clean up, but all to often I think people who cook a meal for themselves or to share will leave a big mess for the hospitaleros to clean up the next morning. Sorry for the generalization, but it is true.
People like that need what the Jamaicans call "home manners"... In the little town I lived in if someone was pulling something like that...even disrespecting their parents, others from the community would stand around them and tell them off..telling them they need to grow up or go back to their mama and learn some "home manners" I really appreciated the fact that they would do that. They don't mind getting their noses into other business in those situations that require it. I think people need to be told sometimes. The reason they keep doing rude ass crap like that is because no one ever says anything. I mean how many of you have said here that you know of this situation ...or have seen that situation. Why not just address it? Go up to them and look at them incredulously and say REALLY?? Then give them a good public scolding...lol. That would teach them a lesson. Nothing worse then being scolded as an adult for something they wouldn't let their kids do.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back