Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo - February 2024

veja

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone, despite the fact the Primitivo is probably one of the least suitable routes in the winter (I have heard that it is difficult, but under solid conditions doable), I am considering the Primitivo at the beginning of February. Does anyone have current information on whether the route is open, whether there are currently any (successful :)) pilgrims on it, and overall, what do especially the mountain sections look like? What about albergues? Alternatively, do you have advice on where to look for current information? Thank you and to everyone who is on the way: Buen Camino! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't know the route, but I know the area and would just say that the mountains are very unpredictable at that time. Last week in the Leon/Oviedo area there were several mountain pass roads unpassable and many more only passable with chains. Snow was down to about 600 metres. Obviously on foot will be worse - although I'm not sure what amount of the Primitivo is that susceptible.

I'd probably give consideration to a different route.

Hi everyone, despite the fact the Primitivo is probably one of the least suitable routes in the winter (I have heard that it is difficult, but under solid conditions doable), I am considering the Primitivo at the beginning of February. Does anyone have current information on whether the route is open, whether there are currently any (successful :)) pilgrims on it, and overall, what do especially the mountain sections look like? What about albergues? Alternatively, do you have advice on where to look for current information? Thank you and to everyone who is on the way: Buen Camino! :)
This thread was posted about walking a Winter Primitivo back in July, you could try and contact the author for more information (as he offers), use the private message function: ie click on the envelope above.
It's an absolutely beautiful route but winter is just not my thing! Good luck and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although Gronze is only as good as its updates, I would start there and contact each albergue you hope to get to. Many albergues, cafés, and tiendas will be closed, and there are not many options in the early stages.

Have you walked a Camino? What's your experience with winter hiking? How's your Spanish?

I wish you a Buen Camino, but if you're new to this, I would suggest instead the Frances from perhaps Leon.

Several pilgrims currently on the Primitivo are posting with pictures on this FB page: CAMINO PRIMITIVO. You may find it useful. Buen Camino.

The Primitivo would be beautiful in winter. There is A LOT of up and down, up and down. Even one inch, and sometimes, particularly with just one inch of snow, the footing is very slippery. I would add microspikes for your boots to your pack weight. They are just under one pound but would be worth it. About $75. Worth it. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't think the Camino Primitivo ever officially closes, the way the Napoleon Route over the Pyrenees does. People seem to walk it at all times of the year (as El Cascayal's post #5 indicates. That said, there are times when the Hospitales route is more dangerous and the best advice is to take the alternate route through the valley and Pola. When you get to that part of the trip, winter or not, it is always best to listen to local advice about which route to take that day.

First of all, thank you all for your answers. I'll probably try to contact some Albergues to find out what the current situation is. Although I have some experience with multi-day hiking, Primitivo would be my first winter experience (I have already done Portugues in winter, but the conditions there are definitely milder), so I don't want to take unnecessary risks. I also thought of the possibility of bypassing parts of the route by road in case of bad conditions... I'm also wondering if you have experience with a phone signal on the way (is it even possible to call for help in an emergency)?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used Vodafone and Orange networks during my September camino (Android phone, not CDMA signal). There were some spots with little to no coverage.

I suggest using an offline map like in Buen Camino or Wise Pilgrim and, if you can (I wasn't successful) download and register on the AlertCops app before you start. That way, you may be able to reach them. Or make an emergency call (112).

And make a habit of talking with locals the evening before you start your next day's journey...they'll know weather and road conditions, and bus/taxi options should you need them. Even the young Spaniards in that documentary took a bus.

No problem at all, Veja. I did the Primativo January 2022 and didn't have an issues with accomodation, weather or passes. At the end of every stage there was always a place to stay (that's the same for every Winter camino i've walked). Obviously you'll want to check the weather before passes (usual practice on any camino) and speak w/ your albergue about trail conditions and albergue availabilty for the days end. Pretty quiet walk in Winter ; ) I knew of only two others a couple stages ahead of me. One without outdoor experience and walking the Primativo as her first camino. And another with some experience. I passed both, spoke for a bit and exchange contact info. Both completed the route just fine. If you have any hiking experience, then it's not a difficult route at all. Simple elastic slip on studs for your shoes is good idea (found in any hiking store). Trails are easy, but icy roads (unfortunately there's a fair bit of asphalt) were a bit challenging on the incline ;)
Have a great camino!

I am reading your post ….The mountains are very unpredictable,, i had two experiences..
1 The approach to Oceberio …blizzard conditions came out of no where…covering the fletch,, was just luck,I managed to find my way.
2. Camino San Salvador. Wide open mountains,, I lost my way, i walked Oviedo to Leon..path is designed to walk Leon to Oviedo,,, so I had problems finding the fletch,,,I was lost for several hours,,,sun setting, cold wind blowing,, I finally saw a yellow metal marker in shape of shell… again just lucky. i walked the Frances in 2013 ,April,,,two people became disoriented died of exposure on the napoleon…
I still have shivers thinking about my experience , close for comfort.
Dont underestimate the mountains, the terrain, weather conditions can be unpredictable, cold winds,,, isolation,,, be careful.
February is a good time to walk the Via La Plata if you’re looking for a nice more compatible Camino. Is a beautiful Camino. ,, not intending to burst your bubble,,but Don’t underestimate the mountains especially that time of year,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Veja, I’m starting today! Are you on the way yet? I’m leaving Oviedo today. Let me know if you know of any adventures ahead that I should prepare for;) great to have another adventurer on the way! Cheers Hester

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back