Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo - May or July?

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hello all,

I hope to walk the Primitivo this summer - well, actually, the Salvador first, from Leon to Oviedo, and then on from there to Santiago.

Anyway, I'm not yet clear on whether my own schedule will allow me to walk from around mid-May or from the start of July. In the end, I may be able to choose between the two, so I'm wondering are there are any genuine differences between walking this Camino in early or mid-summer. I'm willing to guess the weather in July will probably be better (though I know there are no guarantees!) and that it will most likely be busier, but beyond those points, can anyone think of any other likely or possible differences I might experience, based on whether I start in mid-May or at the beginning of July?

Thanks in advance!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The May start is likely to be quieter on the Camino and there are the Spring flowers out, also (for us) it was a better walking temperature than maybe in July. As the Frances joins the Primitivo at Melide the crowds will be bigger with a July finish than in early June, and it could be getting quite hot for walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The May start is likely to be quieter on the Camino and there are the Spring flowers out, also (for us) it was a better walking temperature than maybe in July. As the Frances joins the Primitivo at Melide the crowds will be bigger with a July finish than in early June, and it could be getting quite hot for walking.

Yes, I can see how arriving at Melide might be a bit of a shock to the system.

I walked the Norte last year, and reached Arzua in early June. It was quite different from that point!

Flowers. You may encounter Gentians in May, you won't in July. ;) And now someone will post a picture of Gentians taken in July...
Is a Gentian the opposite of a Jewian? Or a Ladyian?
I'm a Gentian then.
Give me May rather than July and day ..... or month.
July would be much too hot for me, and too busy. May is perfect. All my caminos so far have been in April or May.
I may well be on the Primitivo in May this year ....

July would be much too hot for me, and too busy. May is perfect. All my caminos so far have been in April or May.
I may well be on the Primitivo in May this year ....

Despite being Irish, I don't mind the heat very much. In fact, last year on the Norte, I found myself wishing it was warmer quite a bit... particularly when sitting outside having the occasional evening beer! I hadn't packed for borderline chilly coastal conditions. This was mid-May to early-June, so I simply assumed it would be a little warmer than it was.

As for the crowds, I like it to be quiet-ish... not deserted, but I don't like feeling like I need to power-walk just to ensure a bunk every day. The Norte was perfect that way last year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the primitivo in July last year and it was fine but I agree the shock of the crowds in melilde was actually too much and I left the trail at preguntono and walked my own path south 10km, found a casa rural and then to Santiago from there (It was wonderful) I ended up coming in through the forest south of the airport and arriving in lavacola that way but as far as the primitivo in July is concerned that would be the only down side as I had perfect weather , cool and misty in the mornings and hotter in the afternoons, I get the feeling it could be a lot wetter in May

I walked the primitivo in July last year and it was fine but I agree the shock of the crowds in melilde was actually too much and I left the trail at preguntono and walked my own path south 10km, found a casa rural and then to Santiago from there

I was fortunate last year with the 'shock' of the Norte linking up with the Frances in Arzua. I had walked the Frances in 2012 & 2014, so I had a fair idea of what to expect. It was still a bit traumatic, though, to go from the relative solitude of the Norte to the early-summer traffic-jam of the Frances.

So, whether I go for May or July, I'll focus on making the most of the pre-Melide stretch, and trying not be too overwhelmed thereafter. Alternatively, I might try to retrace your 10km detour away from the crowds!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Mark
I'd pick mid May given your choice .
I started from Salvador April 25 and did get some rain but nothing you couldn't expect in the mountains.
Once on the Primitivo it was busy enough for me in May . I feel with the Primitivo a day can make a big difference with the numbers .
Reading postings after I went through - they all differ regarding numbers (busy or quiet etc). A number of alburgues were completo when I arrived.
The weather is a lottery though.
A plus for mid May departure is that you don't have to wait as long !

Buen Camino
Annie

I started the Primitivo arounf May 21st last year and met a man who had first done the Salvador. He said there were still patches of snow on that route, but nothing major. I loved the Primitivo in May, happy to have brought a sleeping back and not just a liner.

Despite being Irish, I don't mind the heat very much..
It depends on humidity, as well, Mark.
Walking the Ebro last May [not July] temperatures were peaking around 37 degs C. It was difficult walking in that heat/humidity after around 1 p.m. I'd set out soon after 7 a.m. and walk until about 1 p.m.
When I worked in India, the temperature was around 40 degs C ... but that was fine as there was very low humidity.
Of course the Primitivo includes high passes - where it will be probably be cooler. I won't know until May :) !!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Asturias and Galicia are like Ireland, Very green, lots of farms and the weather changes a lot. Give me a little rain over 30-35c weather any day. July is peak

Flowers. You may encounter Gentians in May, you won't in July. ;) And now someone will post a picture of Gentians taken in July...

Lots of flowers and "beasties" in May. Keep your eyes open and your camera handy :)

DSCF0355.JPG Bre-ke-ke-kex co-ax co-ax. Frogs in pond just after Grandas de Salime.

DSCF0380.JPG Gorse, heath, stitchwort and gentians, after Fonsagrada.

DSCF0388.JPG Swarm of bees, before Cadavo.

083.jpg European Scarce Swallowtail on Asphodel, near Santiago.

Blessings on your Camino
Tio Tel

I was fortunate last year with the 'shock' of the Norte linking up with the Frances in Arzua. I had walked the Frances in 2012 & 2014, so I had a fair idea of what to expect. It was still a bit traumatic, though, to go from the relative solitude of the Norte to the early-summer traffic-jam of the Frances.

So, whether I go for May or July, I'll focus on making the most of the pre-Melide stretch, and trying not be too overwhelmed thereafter. Alternatively, I might try to retrace your 10km detour away from the crowds!

Hi Mark, if you do I walked from Preguntono (just after Arzua)to this casa rural (about 10km) http://apenadeaugasantas.com - I did ring them to prebook and they gave me a pilgrims rate I think about €50 but lovely place and great home cooking - I think I did see some signs for a few other albergues but as I didn't have any time to plan I just took this one as it had a website and contact details - and I didn't just want to start walking off into the country with nowhere to stay, this bit is quite rural so no small towns for coffee stops - the muni albergue at Ribadixo da Baixo is good for the night before this (much better than Melide or Boente) large but by the river so great for cooling feet and a good bar/restaurant next door. Then I walked from the casa rural to Lavacolla (or just past it) which was fab, google maps took me along some fabulous Forrest trails which I initially thought were roads, I stopped in Touro for lunch as it was pretty much the only main town I went through and when I went to get a stamp from the town hall the Major came out to greet me and gave me a t-shirt, I get the feeling they would love to see more Pilgrims pass through. Try to walk south of the airport as otherwise you'll just end up on the main trail again. Hope that helps

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back