• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

query about the Baztan route

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I've been looking at the Baztan route on a 1:25,000 scale and trying to line it up with written instructions from various sources (Laurie's translation and online guides I have found). Mostly I can make sense of it, but there are spots where I can see myself becoming the latest search and rescue story on national news!
For example, leaving Berroeta, it supposed to be possible to go down through Almandoz - that is easy enough to follow. But it is also supposed to be possible to go straight up over the hills. Indeed, there are quite a number of tracks on the map to choose from, but all of them fizzle off into nothing near the top of a ridge. Are you supposed to just walk with a compass and hope for the best - or is it private land that you really shouldn't be traversing? I would like to stay off roads, but there are places along this route where there do not seem to be marked tracks.
I am happy to take a compass and use a map so long as I know the protocol....but I don't want to end up miles off the "official" Camino trail as I'd like to write up notes for following it in the reverse direction.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi!
I am just back from abroad, and having a look on the camino board.
To answer rapidly to your question:

The way "uphill" is said to be not very well waymarked - you might need a compass a very detailed map, or a gps.
The way "downhill" (which is going uphill as well, I can assure you) is very well waymarked. And leads you to a very nice little albergue where you can sleep or just have a drink and some food...

Most read last week in this forum