• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone walked the Baztan in a group?

Time of past OR future Camino
Podiensis, Portugues, Primitivo, 6 others
A bunch of us were in Navarra last May and we spent a day in the Baztan Valley. We were in awe at its beauty, and impressed when the locals told us that this was the first path over the Pyrenees 1000 years ago. True or not, it sounded cool for those of us who have walked over the Pyrenees elsewhere.

We are likely to have a group as large as 12 of us walking in late May this year. We have no plans to walk together at the same pace, but plan to end up in the same place each evening. Because we are a mixed group of abilities, recognizing several stages have steep uphills, and because we want to enjoy the beauty of the landscapes, we plan to walk it in 7 days, at least a day if not two more than usual.

We kinda feel like pioneers being a group walking the Baztan. Are we?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A bunch of us were in Navarra last May and we spent a day in the Baztan Valley. We were in awe at its beauty, and impressed when the locals told us that this was the first path over the Pyrenees 1000 years ago. True or not, it sounded cool for those of us who have walked over the Pyrenees elsewhere.

We are likely to have a group as large as 12 of us walking in late May this year. We have no plans to walk together at the same pace, but plan to end up in the same place each evening. Because we are a mixed group of abilities, recognizing several stages have steep uphills, and because we want to enjoy the beauty of the landscapes, we plan to walk it in 7 days, at least a day if not two more than usual.

We kinda feel like pioneers being a group walking the Baztan. Are we?
Doubt it. Do a search, Baztan, and you will find many threads. Baztan five might work, I have not ever worked out how to quote!
edit
here is a screenshot
IMG_5262.jpeg

Hi Kirkie
You are always helpful to all souls on this forum - so since you mention not knowing how to ‘quote’ a message :

1. On the post you want to select a part of : ie quote: Tap the message and you’ll see a section turn blue - then drag the beginning ‘dot’ and end ‘dot’ to include only the words/lines you want to quote.
You will then see : copy ,look up , etc and underneath you can read ‘quote’.
Hit ‘quote’. this will add your blue highlighted words- to a list of quotes. You can do as many as you like so that you can respond to each just below the relevant quote.

2. Then scroll down to the blank ‘ reply box’ under , to reply.

3. When you are ready to add quotes / you’ll see (see below here - beside the usual. ‘attach files’ - another box with ‘insert quotes’ Click on that and it will show your saved quotes. You can drag them around into order before including them.
4. When you review the msg quotes - there is a box with blue message - saying ‘quote messages ‘. Or you can hit remove to take out ones you don’t want to quote. (See screen shots)

Just ensure you type any extra stuff in your post below the ‘end quotes ‘ or your comments are wrapped into the quoted msg.

Sorry for the detail - but hopefully/ it might be useful to someone.

Edit:
After re-reading : I think you may have meant : adding a ‘link’ to the other post. That is easy too but I’ve already taken over this thread !!!

Attachments

• IMG_9332.png
    IMG_9332.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9333.png
    IMG_9333.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that the first order of business would be to see if there are albergues or other accommodations for that size of a group. Check this on Gronze.

Hi Kirkie
You are always helpful to all souls on this forum - so since you mention not knowing how to ‘quote’ a message :

1. On the post you want to select a part of : ie quote: Tap the message and you’ll see a section turn blue - then drag the beginning ‘dot’ and end ‘dot’ to include only the words/lines you want to quote.
You will then see : copy ,look up , etc and underneath you can read ‘quote’.
Hit ‘quote’. this will add your blue highlighted words- to a list of quotes. You can do as many as you like so that you can respond to each just below the relevant quote.

2. Then scroll down to the blank ‘ reply box’ under , to reply.

3. When you are ready to add quotes / you’ll see (see below here - beside the usual. ‘attach files’ - another box with ‘insert quotes’ Click on that and it will show your saved quotes. You can drag them around into order before including them.
4. When you review the msg quotes - there is a box with blue message - saying ‘quote messages ‘. Or you can hit remove to take out ones you don’t want to quote. (See screen shots)

Just ensure you type any extra stuff in your post below the ‘end quotes ‘ or your comments are wrapped into the quoted msg.

Sorry for the detail - but hopefully/ it might be useful to someone.

Edit:
After re-reading : I think you may have meant : adding a ‘link’ to the other post. That is easy too but I’ve already taken over this thread !!!
When you quote a post it automatically creates a link to that post. Just click the little arrow at the top of the quote.

View attachment 33941 View attachment 33942 View attachment 33943 View attachment 33945

Hello from the cold, wet and muddy Camino del Baztan!

The five us (@NualaOC, @Viranani, @peregrina2000, @Rebekah Scott and @kathygpilgrim) met last night in Bayonne, ate fine food (OK, pizzas from a box) and chatted as though we were old friends. We set off this morning in the rain and sloshed all day through the mud.

We're in Esplette now, and availing of the pilgrim-rate in the Hotel Euzkadi. Our original plan was to stay in the Gite de Pelerin, but this place offered to feed us and dry our clothes ...... how could we refuse?

We watched the sky as we ate our very nice dinner and speculated about where those clouds might be heading. Unfortunately, the weather forecast suggests that they will be following us to Amaiur tomorrow :)
Or you can copy the URL at the top of the page for that thread and paste it into your text:

I think that the first order of business would be to see if there are albergues or other accommodations for that size of a group. Check this on Gronze.

Indeed .The one in Bayonne that has enough beds is way out of the city centre.
Plus closed on festive days and Sundays.

The monasterio in Urdax does take reservations and has 24 beds.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked with two boys and some nights there was another couple. If my memory serves me correctly you will struggle to find accommodation for 12 over seven nights. Could you set out in two groups a day apart and have a party together in Pamplona at the end?

I did a couple of days on the Baztan last June while I was staying in the area. A beautiful couple of days, but very muddy. I plan to go back and do the entire Baztan during late summer one of these years.

We are likely to have a group as large as 12 of us walking in late May this year.
:oops:
We're starting from Bayonne on 18 May. We're distance challenged slow walkers, so we always arrive last at an albergue. Hopefully your group will save us two beds...
Or should I think about booking ahead all our accommodation? ;)

Edit:
I contacted the hospitalera at OlagĂŒe. She replied:
En cualquier caso, deben saber que el camino Baztanes es muy tranquilo y no van a tener problema de disponibilidad de plaza para dormir en los albergues.
And when I told her that there could be a group of 12:
Quedan reservadas 2 plazas para dormir en el albergue de OlagĂŒe.
Lo dicho, anoto su reserva.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
:oops:
We're starting from Bayonne on 18 May. We're distance challenged slow walkers, so we always arrive last at an albergue. Hopefully your group will save us two beds...
Or should I think about booking ahead all our accommodation? ;)

Edit:
I contacted the hospitalera at OlagĂŒe. She replied:
En cualquier caso, deben saber que el camino Baztanes es muy tranquilo y no van a tener problema de disponibilidad de plaza para dormir en los albergues.
And when I told her that there could be a group of 12:
Quedan reservadas 2 plazas para dormir en el albergue de OlagĂŒe.
Lo dicho, anoto su reserva.
Thanks. Very useful. We start ten days after you. No need to save our group beds! We will call NOW to see how we can be sure to have places to sleep.

Baztan 4 was our group. We hardly met another pilgrim, we didn't book any accommodation in advance, apart from phoning Andy la source at Espilette a few hrs beforehand, that was in 2018.

Indeed .The one in Bayonne that has enough beds is way out of the city centre.
Yes, good for people to note that a few of Gronze's listings for lodging are not always on or near the trail. Thankfully, they usually add a dotted line to show approximately where those are located.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walked in September 2023
Gronze & other guide notes.

it’s Hilly & beautiful . 12 people for accomodation could be tricky. Send me a PM or Dm & I can provide more details
Also if you use FB join the Baztan pages/ groups .

Thanks. Your message is loud and clear. We will start tomorrow contacting albergues and other accommodations at every village we plan to stop. We also will be reaching out to the various associaciones del amigos del camino in Navarra.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back