• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Rail Pass Information

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
While going through some photos from my 2014 Camino, I found this photo I had taken on the back of a seat, while on a bus to Sahagun. This seems like a great price for a rail pass if someone wanted to explore Galicia either before or after their Camino! Has anyone tried it?

Attachments

• IMG_2154.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Conditions this year are/have been different. For a summary, take a look at http://ssl.renfe.com/Abonos/GaliciaRailPass_ES.html and for more detailed info at http://web02.renfe.es/u52/cav/AgenWeb.snf/V007P/8D722074C232D3B0C1257CC1002FCAC3/$file/GRP.pdf.

As both links are in Spanish, I'll made a summary: this year, the pass is valid for 7 days but you just can use it 3 days (i.e.: you can use it a maximum of 3 days in a 7 days period). From June to September (both included) you can travel any day of the week but the rest of the year you just can travel on week-ends. To get the pass you need to have a long distance train ticket to Galicia (for a date not more than 30 days before the purchase of the pass) or a Compostela issued (at the name of the person who is getting the pass) no more than 60 days before the pass purchase or a ticket in one of the tourist trains of the list that you can see on the second list I provided (on page two, third point of the first chart on that page). The price this year is 15 Euros for adults (3 Euros for childs).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We bought 'Jubilados' passes for the FEVE which then entitled us to half price fares. It is now all part of RENFE so is a Tarjeta Dorada, not the old Tarjeta Azul. The price for the main RENFE network may be different and it all may change each year. It is worth checking on the RENFE site (More operations) which also has details of the other types of passes too.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The RENFE Tarjeta Dorado is 6 euros and gives: 40% discount on AVE Mondays to Thursdays, 25% Fridays to Sundays, 40% on medium distance trains all week; 25% on En Avant trains Mondays to Fridays and 40% at weekends.

15 euros? The photo says 45.

The photo says 49 Euros but that was back in 2014 when the pass was valid for 10 days. On 2015, the pass is valid just for 3 days within a 10 days period and costs 15 Euros. On 2016... Who knows if the pass will be still on sale (and if it is, what will be its rules)!

If there is a discount for children is there also one for over 60s?

On 2015, it doesn't seem so.

P.S.: Regarding the tarjeta dorada, be aware it excludes most other discounts offered by RENFE so sometimes there are cheaper alternatives. For example, a promo fare ticket on an AVE can give you a discount of up to 70%... but they might be already sold out if you try to get them last minute.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum