• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where is the most reliable accommodation information?

LizziM

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, July 2015
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open.

I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even begin to list the number of albergues that are closed when the app says they are open from Jan 1 or Mar 1, and villages I've passed through that supposedly have amenities where absolutely nothing is open.

I'm using the wise pilgrim app at the moment, and I've started using booking dot com, since it's the only way I can reliably find a place to stay.

I understand that many albergues don't open until after Easter, which is fine. I just want some reliable and honest information about what IS open.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I understand that many albergues don't open until after Easter, which is fine. I just want some reliable and honest information about what IS open.
I've usually found Gronze are most up to date. A website rather than an app. But even better is to phone somewhere direct and ask them if they are open and have beds available.

Hello
sorry for your woes
Its hard to say what EXACTLY can be consider "reliable". You already have Wise Pilgrim app, perhaps also download Buen Camino and of course Gronze.com
(as a side note - also download WhatsApp if you don't have it already)
I guess roughly 2-3 days out from your next anticipated stop - look over the list of albergues (even if you have to go through all of the sites mentioned) and CALL the albergue directly - that is your most reliable current u-t-d info. Yes it requires "home work" but IMHO you cannot lose this way. If they are open - perhaps you can reserve right on the spot.

Good luck and Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can't even begin to list the number of albergues that are closed when the app says they are open from Jan 1 or Mar 1, and villages I've passed through that supposedly have amenities where absolutely nothing is open.
I just want some reliable and honest information about what IS open.
The apps and guides are all honest, I think. Their information is only as reliable as its sources, which may be the owners themselves (who are free to change their minds any time and probably don't immediately inform the app) and other pilgrims like you who can provide information from the road.

In the off-season, you would be wise to check ahead, and not (for example) arrive exhausted in a small town with only one listed albergue, expecting to find accommodation there.

Are these municipal albergues you are finding closed, or private ones? Where are you on the Camino?

https://www.aprinca.com/ is spot-on for accommodation that is open from 1 November to 28 February, and very greatly appreciated by all those who walk in winter.

Sadly, they suddenly shut down their website on 1 March, literally.

So, although places are still closed until Easter, one has NO idea anymore what is open.

On 1 March last year I met a couple who were doing 30+km days, but they hadn’t noted what was open that night.

Because I was offline the aprinca list was still viewable on my phone, so they took a photo, and gave me the hugest hug ever, as they now knew where they could head for that night.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The apps and guides are all honest, I think. Their information is only as reliable as its sources, which may be the owners themselves (who are free to change their minds any time and probably don't immediately inform the app) and other pilgrims like you who can provide information from the road.

In the off-season, you would be wise to check ahead, and not (for example) arrive exhausted in a small town with only one listed albergue, expecting to find accommodation there.

Are these municipal albergues you are finding closed, or private ones? Where are you on the Camino?
The meseta.
I'm talking about any and all accommodation options. And I'm not just talking about a one albergue village. In one case there were 6 or 7 listed in a town as open in March and in reality only 1 that was actually open.
Somehow, other people I met knew this without needing to phone each place, and I'd like to know if there's some other 'live' information resource where the most current info is consolidated.
But from the comments here, I'm guessing there isn't, aside from gronze, but that hasn't been entirely accurate either.

I'd like to know if there's some other 'live' information resource where the most current info is consolidated.
No, there is no central authority.
In one case there were 6 or 7 listed in a town as open in March and in reality only 1 that was actually open.
I am curious where this was, and if there was space at that albergue. Maybe the local people collaborate to ensure that one of them is always open.

I have a few different Apps, and have found they all have 'some' out of date information.
And it's of course always the one you need......
It must be hard to keep them up to date.
My 'go to' is Gronze.
Seems to be consistently more up to date than many others.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open.

I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even begin to list the number of albergues that are closed when the app says they are open from Jan 1 or Mar 1, and villages I've passed through that supposedly have amenities where absolutely nothing is open.

I'm using the wise pilgrim app at the moment, and I've started using booking dot com, since it's the only way I can reliably find a place to stay.

You could be that reliable source for people who are following in your footsteps.

Rather than asking, you could be providing ☺️

I find that albergue owners know what is happening. Ask them. Then see if they will call to the next town for you and reserve a bed. Buy them a coffee or a beer or a wine when they do this favor for you. Make sure you show up at that albergue the next day so your reservation is not wasted.

Booking.com is fairly reliable. But remember some albergues will be open but the host lives off site so if it appears that no pilgrims are coming in, they won’t open. Best to call ahead direct if you’re worried about it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just want some reliable and honest information about what IS open.
he apps and guides are all honest, I think. Their information is only as reliable as its sources, which may be the owners themselves (who are free to change their minds any time and probably don't immediately inform the app) and other pilgrims like you who can provide information from the road.

What @C clearly wrote is exactly correct. No one website or app is 100% accurate. i am sure in peak season they are very accurate but the rest of the year, from my experience no site is more than about 70% or so accurate, and none have all the available albergues. That is why I think having multiple sources especially in winter gives you a better chance of finding an albergue. Call or whatsapp to find out if an albergue is open or closed.

https://www.aprinca.com/ is spot-on for accommodation that is open from 1 November to 28 February, and very greatly appreciated by all those who walk in winter.

Sadly, they suddenly shut down their website on 1 March, literally.
I believe this website always shuts down after winter is over and goes back online, on or just before November 1.
Albergue owners may tell aprinca.com that they intend to stay open but as @C clearly says albergue owners may close on a whim because they are exhausted or have a pressing need to close. I have encountered this on more than one occasion with aprinca.com.

The apps and guides are all honest, I think.
Maybe some of them. Others change the date on the cover and sell something otherwise unchanged. The 2016 Michelin guide I bought did not list an albergue that had started in 1999, but did list in the same village one that had been in ruins for several years. (I spent more than fifteen months in that village; I’m not merely passing on rumors I heard.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
With few exceptions, the most reliable sources are the Hospitalera and Albergue operators with who you are staying. They almost always know who is open in the next couple of stages and can provide recommendations, names and phone numbers.

If the Hospitalera is not helpful then the next most reliable source are the other Peregrinos you may be staying with and meeting along the way.

The most enjoyable Caminos I've walked were with no guide, no map, no phone and no plan - a true Camino experience. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

You really have to contact the lodging directly. No list will be perfect. It’s just the way it is in Spain. Part of the charm.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You really have to contact the lodging directly. No list will be perfect. It’s just the way it is in Spain. Part of the charm.
That's why I tend to consult two or three apps as well as perhaps a guidebook or two on my Kindle app and Gronze. Between all of them, I can get a decent list of possibilities to check.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.