• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Re-reading Camino Memoirs years later ...

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Time of past OR future Camino
CF whole & part 12-19, VF 17, VDLP+ptSbres22
Does anyone find that when you re-read a Camino memoir years after you first read it, unexpected gems appear ... gems that you missed the first time you read it?

I read Tim Moore's book "Spanish Steps" years before my Camino in 2012. It was borrowed from my local library and I enjoyed the book very much. I always meant to buy it, but never got around to it. Browsing in an opp shop (charity shop) recently, I discovered the book and snapped it up straight away.

On Page TWO I discovered an absolute gem ... a reference to a supermarket cheddar, with the word "Pilgrim" as part of the brand name. I checked out YouTube to see if there were any advertisements for the cheese, and found a hilarious ad - if you have a moment, check out the link:

I'm looking forward to discovering many more gems in this book!

If you have any gems from Camino memoirs you'd like to share, I'd love to hear about them.

Happy Camino reading over the festive season -

Cheers everyone -

Jenny

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Does anyone find that when you re-read a Camino memoir years after you first read it, unexpected gems appear ... gems that you missed the first time you read it?

I read Tim Moore's book "Spanish Steps" years before my Camino in 2012. It was borrowed from my local library and I enjoyed the book very much. I always meant to buy it, but never got around to it. Browsing in an opp shop (charity shop) recently, I discovered the book and snapped it up straight away.

On Page TWO I discovered an absolute gem ... a reference to a supermarket cheddar, with the word "Pilgrim" as part of the brand name. I checked out YouTube to see if there were any advertisements for the cheese, and found a hilarious ad - if you have a moment, check out the link:

I'm looking forward to discovering many more gems in this book!

If you have any gems from Camino memoirs you'd like to share, I'd love to hear about them.

Happy Camino reading over the festive season -

Cheers everyone -

Jenny
I too read the book pre-camino, enjoying it very much, and reread it upon my return. Come Christmas, my daughter gave me a copy and was horrified to find I'd already read it. I quickly said it was the best present she could ever have given me, and have reread it since, as has my 95 year old mother in law, who loved it also. Other gems from it - Singing Induriain (p. 84), and the fact that the priest at Trinidad de Arre wore slippers (p. 82). Mine did too, so I'm guessing it to be the same, but he was very nice to me. I think it's time to reread it again. And I have been, before hitting "post". Thanks - Cherry

Thanks Cherry - I'll pay special attention to those pages. After reading the first several pages I decided to save this excellent book for Christmas reading, when there'll be some quiet time to enjoy it fully.
Cheers - Jenny

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My Christmas reading will be "Like a tramp like a pilgrim" by Harry Bucknall , my son sent it for my Birthday and I'm still wondering which one he thinks I am!:);)

My Christmas reading will be "Like a tramp like a pilgrim" by Harry Bucknall , my son sent it for my Birthday and I'm still wondering which one he thinks I am!:);)
Hola b - this book sounds like a fabulous read! I'll download it as soon as I buy another iTunes card in a day or so. Thanks for the tip about this book.
As for which one - tramp or pilgrim - your son thinks you are, I think it all depends on how far along The Way you are! We all look pretty dusty and second-hand towards the end of the pilgrimage!
Cheers to you and peregrina b - Jenny

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a pilgrim, I'm not sure which I'd prefer to be called - superb, smooth, rich (definitely not), or mature (that's a given!) Maybe just "the choosiest"?? At least in my choice of where I want to walk! Very cheerful thread in the light of lots of bad news. Thanks - C

Thanks Cherry - I'll pay special attention to those pages. After reading the first several pages I decided to save this excellent book for Christmas reading, when there'll be some quiet time to enjoy it fully.
Cheers - Jenny
What's quiet time??? I'd love some - C

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No it's kind of bland. But heho I have just returned from Madrid with a load of queso! As usual they tried to nick it at security. But it got through.
What a shame that it's bland, Al. A sharp cheddar is fantastic. Lucky you with your 'stash' of queso though! Good for you for getting it through at security.
Enjoy!

Could he send me one too, please? I'd like to know who I am! Our library is just so pathetic. Lo siento
I going on yet another Camino in the Spring in the possibility I might find that out cherrys !:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I going on yet another Camino in the Spring in the possibility I might find that out cherrys !:)
Lucky you to be going in the spring. I can't :( Although there's the tiniest chance I may be able to squeeze in a short one in late summer.

Lucky you to be going in the spring. I can't :( Although there's the tiniest chance I may be able to squeeze in a short one in late summer.
Go on cherrys you know you want to, take it!:)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Cheers - Jenny
What quiet time?? You are supposed to be racking up the kilometres on the bike!!! Happy Christmas!

Marvellous ad (I agree, it is rather bland) - if you eat too much of it you get taken here (I think) ....

View attachment 15402
Hilarious, David! As it's a Pilgrim hospital, do the patients have to walk to the hospital though? That might be difficult given they're chock full of cheese and about to chuck! ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Cherry - I hope you manage to get some quiet time over Christmas, to re-charge those batteries and I hope that your Summer Camino happens for you. Keep us posted.
Cheers - Jenny
Thanks Jenny - I've been working as an elf on the Polar Express train for some much needed money since mid November - it's been fun but tiring. Re the camino - after my father died we kept his house in Ireland in the hopes of moving there - that's never going to happen now, so, sadly I need to sell it, which means a protracted trip to West Cork to empty it out, etc, etc. IF I can get the house sorted relatively quickly, I'm somehow hoping to treat myself to a couple of weeks, maybe on the Primitivo, on or a couple of the sections on the Frances I was forced to bus due to injuries. But I am dealing with Ireland, so....... An alternative is to try and do a couple of the "new" Irish pilgrimage routes. And I will keep you all posted - Cherry

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hoping to do the Primitivo or the Frances from Astorga but not sure which yet, Jenny.It all depends on finding private accommodation for 20 to 24k distances!
Cherry the Irish pilgrimage routes could be found by talking to wayfarer, as I recollect he was discussing them somewhere on this forum.
:)

Hoping to do the Primitivo or the Frances from Astorga but not sure which yet, Jenny.It all depends on finding private accommodation for 20 to 24k distances!
Cherry the Irish pilgrimage routes could be found by talking to wayfarer, as I recollect he was discussing them somewhere on this forum.
:)
Thanks, that's where I first read about them I think. I'll try and find the thread

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'd love to be an Elf!
Yes that's right David do I remember, you love the colour Green don't you? ;) Oh and you just have time if your quick Tesco need them for packing shelves over Christmas.:D

I'd love to be an Elf!
I think you would make a good one! Maybe you could convince the three wise men, too....they might enjoy wishing tons of kids Merry Christmas, and one can only imagine the presents they would bring on the train.....

Thanks Jenny - I've been working as an elf on the Polar Express train for some much needed money since mid November - it's been fun but tiring. Re the camino - after my father died we kept his house in Ireland in the hopes of moving there - that's never going to happen now, so, sadly I need to sell it, which means a protracted trip to West Cork to empty it out, etc, etc. IF I can get the house sorted relatively quickly, I'm somehow hoping to treat myself to a couple of weeks, maybe on the Primitivo, on or a couple of the sections on the Frances I was forced to bus due to injuries. But I am dealing with Ireland, so....... An alternative is to try and do a couple of the "new" Irish pilgrimage routes. And I will keep you all posted - Cherry
I am so jealous.....would love to work as an elf on the Polar Express Train

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back