• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

realistic timescale

malceye

Hi folks
am looking to cycle Leon to Santiago mid-September following the trail route (as opposed to road). Reckon I am reasonably fit (marathon training) but want to see a wee bit of the towns en route. Could I do in 4/5 days?
cheers!
Malceye

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is about 312 km from Leon to Santiago, so four days would be 47 miles per day. Only you know if you can sustain that pace on dirt trails over some decent mountains. A lot of the surface from Leon is roads. The signs and yellow arrows, which you can ignore, usually direct pedestrians on one route, and bicycles on the other. From the Iron Cross to Ponferrada, I personally would stick to the road! I have walked the road from Villafranca del Bierzo to O Cebreiro, and found it quite suitable for foot or bicycle, and it avoids some pretty muddy path. Ditto into Astorga (where you can avoid some intimidating, but ultimately restrained, farm dogs).

You could easily do it in 5 days.

Suggestion for 5 days:
Leon - Rabanal
Rabanal - Villafranca
Villafranca - Sarria
Sarria - Melide
Melide - Santiago

I would argue against some of the sections between Rabanal and Molinaseca as they are single track and full of walkers so you would not really be able to ride them and there is a very quiet small road close by. Similarly the section just before La Faba on the way up to O Cebreiro can easily be avoided and I doubt if it could be cycled. The section from La Faba up to Laguna (I think) I reckon a fit mountain biker could ride it but I have always walked.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So, my query is about how long it would take from St Jean to Santiago? Most road route cyclists estimate 9-10 days, but what about off road? Can anyone help? Furthermore, are there bits of the earlier trail that would be best on the road rather than the trail, etc. Complete noob to the trail, complete noob to off roadf touring, but experienced mountainbiker regular cross country and DH riding including Alps.

For a fit guy like you I reckon it should take no longer that 14 days and probably a good deal less (if you have the time you can always add Finisterre to your tour).

Remember if you are intending to cycle all the route off road you will be among plenty of walkers so your downhill speed will not be appreciated. The walkers can get very annoyed by speedy cyclist bumping them or showering them in dust or water which I know you would not do.

There is a short section after the pass down to Roncesvalles which can be very muddy and is easily avoided by taking the road. I would have reservations about taking the single track footpaths in the Pyrenees and the road is quiet. The path up to the Monte de Perdon is now fine for cyclists (see film The Way) but the path down the other side is steep and will test your downhill skill (again there is a road though a busy one this time for much of the way to Puente la Reina).

Much of the meseta has flat quiet roads or flat hardpacked paths and there is no reason to go on one rather than the other to me.

Buen Camino

William

William Marques said:
For a fit guy like you I reckon it should take no longer that 14 days and probably a good deal less (if you have the time you can always add Finisterre to your tour).

Remember if you are intending to cycle all the route off road you will be among plenty of walkers so your downhill speed will not be appreciated. The walkers can get very annoyed by speedy cyclist bumping them or showering them in dust or water which I know you would not do.

There is a short section after the pass down to Roncesvalles which can be very muddy and is easily avoided by taking the road. I would have reservations about taking the single track footpaths in the Pyrenees and the road is quiet. The path up to the Monte de Perdon is now fine for cyclists (see film The Way) but the path down the other side is steep and will test your downhill skill (again there is a road though a busy one this time for much of the way to Puente la Reina).

Much of the meseta has flat quiet roads or flat hardpacked paths and there is no reason to go on one rather than the other to me.

Buen Camino

William

Thanks very much. I have got the message from all the other boards too that a fine line of toleration exits between biker and pedestrian. I understand it is easy to lose yourself in the joy of the downhill rush. However, and this is a biggie for me, I am going to pilgrimage. The bike is simply my means. I will be taking care of those around me as I believe with all my heart that this is the soul of the journey... in caring for ourselves we care for others, but also vice versa. I have a nice shiny bell and a beatific smile (hee, hee).

The Lord, The Lord. Gracious and merciful is He. His loving kindness endures foreveer. Great is his faithfulness.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We're aging experienced mountain bikers in no hurry at all. We did went from SJPP to Santiago twice, in 15 days hauling camping gear, 13 days with lighter bikes. We seldom strayed from the hikers trail.

Just ding a bell, and slow down to a walking pace as you pass the hikers you should have no problem integrating with the hikers. If you start late in the morning, finish late in the day, don't go in mid-season, they will be spread out on the trail or done for the day and there won't be crowds on the trail. Most of them are good people in a good mood, and they will say hello and smile. In 28 days, we found two who actively tried to block our passage. I would hate to go through life with such a negative attitude, but I guess with so many out there, you'll find some of them

Thanks for that. We intend to ride through to Muxia via Fin to complete the entire route if possible. We may just go to Muxia. Time to decide yet, but logistics can't wait.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello; I am a Spaniard who want to do the Camino from LeĂłn to Santiago this summer (2024). I am looking for some company to do the trip to Santiago, and I've thought that I could exchange some...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back