• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Requena: a Winter Camino?

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
Hi again everyone,

For the first time in my life I am planning for a Winter Camino. I was looking for a suitable Camino to spend about 10 days in Spain. The Camino de Madrid in December does not tempt me, and I have walked the Invierno so many times now... But I finally settled for the Requena (Valencia - Cuenca), for the following reasons:

- There is a plane from my home town to Valencia! Very comfortable.
- 10 days between Valencia and Cuenca (according to the written guide): perfect! And I have a few days to play with if I would like to go slower.
- Joining the Camino de la Lana (wonderful Camino) in Monteagudo de Salinas (beautiful village) so I am already familiar with the last two stages before Cuenca.
- Cuenca is fairly close to Madrid: easy to get to the airport, and to take off to another part of Spain if I still have time to add a shorter camino (Inglés? Vía Mariana?)

Now I am in need of advice from people who have walked the Requena in December/Winter. How is acommodation, and what happens on and around the 25 of December? I have never been to Spain around Christmas so I don't know how holidays affect albergues/hostals/hotels.

/BP

Last edited:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hooray,

I just recieved an e-mail from El Rincón de Sandra (in Monteagudo de las Salinas; stage 8 on the Requena) that they are open during Christmas! I should get there on or around December 25, so I wanted to be sure. If I ever get that far, that is. I don't know what I've gotten myself into...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No,

It was covidly and pandemically impossible. And I would have ended up in the heavy snowfall that occured a few weeks ago...!