This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Safe in Santiago?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

viajero

Feb 8, 2008
Time of past OR future Camino
It is quite safe. There will be lots of people out and about until quite late at night so you should be quite safe on your own well into the evening.

julie

Apr 17, 2006
Sydney NSW Australia
It would be a shame to stay holed up in a hotel and miss out on Santiago's wonderful night vibe. Music and laughter seemed to erupt spontaneously, drawing people into various areas. There were so many people around I felt very safe and did not hesitate to walk around at night by myself.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Feb 2, 2008
Carantona, Galicia
www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
I´m with John. In general Spanish cities are very safe for women, although in the bigger ones it´s best to ask which areas are better to stay out of such as Madrid and Barcelona. I once lived in the "Red Light District" of Granada (no comments please!) and I had to come home from my teaching job quite late. I made a point of keeping both my head up and my wits about me and I never had a single problem, though I was told by the "pros" that they kept an eye out for me!
Spain is not like the US or even parts of the UK. The life is on the streets late at night and for that reason perhaps, you should be too.
No worries.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum