• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Scallop Shell

almhath

I read different accounts about the Scallop Shells, and my question is where to wear them?

Some say on the back of the rucksack. Yet at other times I've seen them around the neck, like a necklace.

Ideas?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wherever you find most comfortable and convenient. The rucksack is probably best for comfort but more likely to be damaged if it is put down roughly. Wearing one on a piece of material around your neck is very simple too.

Hi - most people 'wear' the scallop shell by tying it to their rucksack ... but, there are certain places on the way that you might like to tie another shell to a post or tree - you will see when you go.
Once on the Camino you will find many places to get them, very cheap - cheaper as you get closer to Santiago - .
Before you go you may buy some Coquille St. Jacques from the freezer department of your supermarket (shells filled with cockles in a cheesy sauce - eat the cockles and keep the shells).

You can trust to buy when you start or go to my website at http://www.pilgrimsupplies.org or similar.. (please don't think this is a commercial advert - they end up at cost and I include a tiny Camino gift).

Very few wear the scallop shell as a body ornament, nearly 100% tie it to their rucksack, though you can find smaller items such as pendants and lapel pins to wear.

Hope this helps :wink:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I assumed I'd be able to find Camino items in all big cities along the way. But when I walked the VDLP, the only place I found Camino merchandise was Santiago! Not even in Sevilla, the start, and Spain's fourth largest city! I guess it's because the Via de la Plata isn't nearly as popular as the Camino Frances, where I've heard you can find Camino merchandise all over. Anyway, I'm not sure which Camino you'll be taking, but if it's a route other than the Camino Frances, you should buy online or you'll probably have to wait until Santiago.

Melanie

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum