• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

shoes, shorts and umbrella

buena!

i'm reading a few books on lightweight hiking. a few questions...

1. the sandals for walking around towns- did you use the strappy teva-type or the lightweight shower thong type?? (&if you used the tevas, did you shower with them?)

2. ray jardine (the founder of Golite) thinks the world of umbrellas. not just for rain, but sun. anyone used an umbrella? there is a small ultralight i could get not too expensively.

3. I am thinking about hiking in spandex-type shorts (light and wouldn't rub/irriate my legs). i'm wondering if this attire in towns/cities would seem out of place or if no one cares.

thanks!
b

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
2. Umbrella. I take a small, lightweight, travel umbrella. Not much use in a storm, but I've used it after walking, when wandering around a town in the rain. Also agree that it's great to keep the sun off. Found invaluable one day on the Meseta.

personally i think an umbrella is too much weight and a waste. it rained one day, usually too much wind it would be a pain. just get wet, of course if you go in winter may be an option.

the sandals, i wore tevas at night. i wore bare feet in the showers, get the sandals wet not likely, i would recommend proper hiking sandals, that way if you have problems with blisters than you can wear the sandals during the day, not a good idea with tevas.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
sorry forgot to comment about the shorts, i would highly recommend cotton zip off pants (only 2) one for the day and one for night. believe me taking pants and shorts is too much, some churches are ok with wearing shorts, the bigger towns it is best to wear pants.
start weighing stuff, and keep your weight under 20 pounds that includes water)
dawn

Most read last week in this forum