• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pants or Shorts? Second pair of Shoes?

ROjeda

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, San Salvador, Primitivo (Planned)
Hola,

My name is Rodrigo, from Mexico, and I am planning to do the Camino in three stages. 1.- SJPP to Burgos in April/ May 2024 via Camino Frances, 2.- Burgos to Oviedo in May/June 2025 via Camino Frances and San Salvador, and 3.- Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela in July/August 2026 via Camino Primitivo. Mexican Law is not great when it comes to paid holidays, hence the stages. (Though, you never know. If I like the Camino so much, I might finish biting the hand that feeds, heh, heh.)

I've been obsessing over the Camino since January this year, and have purchased what I believe is my entire packing list list. I've been reading posts in the Forum and twitched it here and there. And I still have some questions, where I would love to get your feedback.

First is the number and combination of pants/shorts to bring. I intend to bring two hiking pants along, but shorts keep coming up in every single post I read. Should I add the shorts and take pants off, should I just add them? (they are light).

Regarding shoes. I usually use a second pair of shoes, so I can air my shoes for the next day hike. So I'm planning to bring a pair of hiking shoes, a pair of water shoes (light Salomon) to rest my feet and walk around the town while the others air out, and a pair of sandals for the shower. Haven't read anything about airing out the walking shoes, it seems everyone goes with their single pair of shoes/boots exploring the town and bars after their shower, with not a lot of airing. Want your opinion on this. Perhaps airing them at night is sufficient.

Finally, I am reading that there is no need to take a water filter. I was planning taking a Nalgene 1 Lt bottle and a Grayl Geopress. Is it necessary? If all fountains are OK, may be it's not necessary, but what I don't want is to purchase more plastic in water bottles along the way.

Long first post, looking forward to your feedback.

Rodrigo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Rodrigo. I imagine the shorts vs. pants ratio depends on if your body runs hot/cold at the time of your Camino stages; I prefer shorts to pants but I walked in this Sept/Oct when it was unseasonably warm. I wore pants a bit when I missed some parts of my legs with sunscreen & got sunburned.

I had no issues airing out my shoes (Hoka) overnight, so a 2nd pair of shoes might be much in my opinion

I found no need for a water filter on the CF; plenty of fountains and the bars were happy to fill my 750ml Camelback

My .02$, your mileage may vary...

First is the number and combination of pants/shorts to bring. I intend to bring two hiking pants along, but shorts keep coming up in every single post I read. Should I add the shorts and take pants off, should I just add them? (they are light)
Hi ROjeda!
Regarding shorts and long pants!
I wear zip off long pants ! (Columbia silver ridge 11 6 pockets reasonable price and i wear the shorts everyday from March still in them now November.( I have three pairs and they have lasted since July 2021)
I do wash them🤣
Some people don't like them but i l`do;you will get a lot of opinions.
I take two; but only one set of zip of bottoms!
Which gives me the option of two pairs of shorts and two long pants if needed and saves a bit of weight as well.

Shoes are very important make sure your happy and test them on long walks; i found more than one pair that i thought these are the one!
But once i hit six or seven miles on a hike my feet told me they weren't!!!
On both my Camino's i have taken a pair of hiking sandals and never wore them; because my Hoka Stinson ATR 6 were great so donated the sandals .
My thinking here is if your shoes are comfortable enough to walk 25 or 30 km without a problem why carry more.
Water is not a problem on the Frances
Woody

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked my Caminos a bit later in the year, starting mid may both times in St.Jean. I always used a combination of one zip-off pants and one rather short shorts. Worked well in a variaty of temperatures and i would do it exactly like this again (but then there are people who don't like zip-offs).
I also never felt the need to bring anything besides my hiking shoes and a pair of Flip-Flops. But then i use very light shoes that air out very fast.
Also never felt the need for a filter. I prefer to buy bottled water most of the time, but used the fountains quite frequently as well and never had problems. I'm sure there is chance that once in a while the water in a fountain marked as "drinkable" (potable) is not good, but generally it's pretty safe.

I'll just comment on the shoe question. I wear sandals to walk in and take them off when I arrive at the albergue. Obviously they don't need airing out, but I do find it is nice for my feet to then wear something different for the evening. For that I have cheap very light knock-off crocs, which can be worn in the shower and are suitable for extra walking round town.

I'm walking my first Camino in 2024, too! In June, in my case, on the Portuguese. I was recently in the middle of the very same debate you're having now regarding number of bottoms and number of shoes.

Ultimately I think I'm going with two pairs of shorts (bermuda length), and one pair of rain pants (only 92g, lighter than "real" hiking pants). The rain pants are really for warmth in case I get the unusually cold day, and of course for rain.

As for shoes, I spent most of this very morning debating on ordering a pair of sport sandals for the evenings around town. (I don't want to take my shower sandals out and about, I think that tracks dirt and other things into the showers). For the sake of weight, I think I've decided to just take two pairs of shoes: one pair of trail runners for walking, and the shower sandals for showering/inside the albergue. If I find I'm longing for sandals in the evening I can always pick up a pair somewhere.

(I also debated on a fleece and eventually came to the same decision: no fleece when I start my walk in early June in Porto; if I need one I'll pick it up along the way. Spain is a civilized country and the Camino is a civilized walk, it will be fine!)

Hope that helps you decide!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like Woody said about the convertable pants but if you don't have a pair and don't want to buy a pair I say to go with one pair of pants and one pair of shorts. For your first camino it will be cooler and maybe no shorts and two pairs of pants. I had two pair of convertible pants (non-compatible different brands I already owned) and I only used them in shorts mode once, for swimming. At home for tough hikes I switch to shorts but I didn't encounter anything tough enough on the CF. Experience will tell you what to wear on the later caminos.

For shoes maybe take a second set of insoles and swap occasionally to air a pair out.

For water skip the filter. I had one and never used it. Hiking in the mountains I take a Nalgene bottle and also a bottle from a finished soda. I use the Nalgene water last. The idea is if the filter breaks (happened twice) and a fall causes the lightweight bottle to leak the water in the study but heavy Nalgene bottle is still available. On the camino though there is plenty of places to get drinking water and it is unlikey to have an accident bad enough to mess up your bottle. Besides there are enough people around to share their water. Save the weight and leave the Nalgene at home

My husband has one pair of zip off pants, one pair of shorts that can also be a swim suit if needed. One pair of trail runners for walking in summer, one pair of crocs for evening/shower, etc. To air your shoes, pull out the insoles in the evening and prop them up inside your shoes. Lighter is better.

You should not need a water filter. Just don't drink out of irrigation ditches or fountains that say not potable. We don't bring water bottles, just use the ones they give us on the plane over and over. I understand if that is not you.

Don't worry, this December will be my 7th trip to the Camino. I still always pack something I don't really need or want to carry. It happens. Try not to bring anything you really don't want to lose or part with as you may leave it somewhere unintentionally or you may feel you have to carry it because you spent a lot of money on it or it is too valuable to you personally to leave in a donation box.

It isn't like a wilderness hike, so you can always buy something when you get to Spain and find you really miss or need it.

Another thing to try is to pack everything up in your chosen pack from your list and then weigh the pack and walk up and down some hills with it. That may help you decide if you want to carry everything or not. I am doing a packing demo for a group of students I am taking on the Camino next month and I packed my pack this weekend. It weighed 12.5 pounds (5.7 kg) which included my travel CPAP and supplies. It did not include my 500 ml water bottle and my 333 ml water bottle. It did include my winter sleeping bag, clothes, rain gear, and crocs, but did not include the clothes or outerwear I would wear for walking. You'll be walking in warmer months so your bag will weigh differently. Hopefully less.

Several years ago for a summer Camino my bag weighed 18 pounds without an CPAP and I ended up shedding about 5 pounds of things I didn't need by mailing items ahead to myself at one of the first possible locations.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Shorts: I always take a light pair, but mainly for sleeping in. I prefer walking in trousers, and dislike zip-offs. I've seen too many lobster red legs to ever want to consider walking that way without a substantial application of sun-screen.

Footwear: I walk in boots and take a lightweight water sports shoe like the Salomon Techamphibian. These can be worn with or without socks, and could be used in the shower if that is your practice. I prefer to use an anti-fungal cream post shower anyway, and not rely solely on thongs/flip-flops/jandals for preventing fungal infections.

shorts keep coming up in every single post I read
They do? Maybe every thread discussing pants has some posts suggesting shorts, but many people don't wear shorts. (I would guess that the majority wear long pants but I haven't walked the Frances in May- June.) It really depends on what you prefer - what do you usually wear at home for a long walk?

@ROjeda , in spring I carried/ wore 2 pairs of zipoff pants ( Colombia). I had several warm days where I unzipped the legs to create shorts, the morning's and evening's were always cool.
My second camino later in the year I carried one pair of the zip-offs and wore shorts for walking. Evening's were often cool enough to warrant the pants, however I was on the Primitivo which is mountainous. I'm tanned enough not to get @dougfitz 's lobster leg's!
His idea of antifungal cream for your feet is a very good one.

Shoe's - in spring I carried a cheap lightweight pair of shoes for the evenings, my feet welcomed the break ! Summer, my sandals.
Rather than a second pair of shoes I could have used a different pair of insoles to give my feet a break. Much lighter! But I was comfortable with the extra weight.

Definitely lift out the insoles to help the shoes air during the night.

Water bottle/s. - very much a personal choice, I still use the same three 500 ml throwaway bottles that I've had for four or five years now.

And as for work - just quit your job, go and walk it in one hit - if you're any good at what you do you'll find not only another but a better job when you get back!

Unless of course you love where you are. In which case you could always do what I once did when I wanted to come to Europe for 5 months - I resigned, but told them that I was only doing it because I realized that I couldn't take so much time off at once - so they tore up my resignation and gave me six months off!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have only ever walked in shorts but my caminos are normally between Apr-Oct.

I have a pair of walking shoes for hiking and sandals for other times.

I fill up my water bottle and water bladder from the local taps and carry what i need for the day.

Hola,

My name is Rodrigo, from Mexico, and I am planning to do the Camino in three stages. 1.- SJPP to Burgos in April/ May 2024 via Camino Frances, 2.- Burgos to Oviedo in May/June 2025 via Camino Frances and San Salvador, and 3.- Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela in July/August 2026 via Camino Primitivo. Mexican Law is not great when it comes to paid holidays, hence the stages. (Though, you never know. If I like the Camino so much, I might finish biting the hand that feeds, heh, heh.)

I've been obsessing over the Camino since January this year, and have purchased what I believe is my entire packing list list. I've been reading posts in the Forum and twitched it here and there. And I still have some questions, where I would love to get your feedback.

First is the number and combination of pants/shorts to bring. I intend to bring two hiking pants along, but shorts keep coming up in every single post I read. Should I add the shorts and take pants off, should I just add them? (they are light).

Regarding shoes. I usually use a second pair of shoes, so I can air my shoes for the next day hike. So I'm planning to bring a pair of hiking shoes, a pair of water shoes (light Salomon) to rest my feet and walk around the town while the others air out, and a pair of sandals for the shower. Haven't read anything about airing out the walking shoes, it seems everyone goes with their single pair of shoes/boots exploring the town and bars after their shower, with not a lot of airing. Want your opinion on this. Perhaps airing them at night is sufficient.

Finally, I am reading that there is no need to take a water filter. I was planning taking a Nalgene 1 Lt bottle and a Grayl Geopress. Is it necessary? If all fountains are OK, may be it's not necessary, but what I don't want is to purchase more plastic in water bottles along the way.

Rodrigo
A 2nd pair of lightweight shoes - yes. The obvious answer re shorts or trousers is to take two pairs of trousers that unzip into 3/4 trousers or above the knee.

Shorts v. Pants: Depends on how much you like sunburn. I've seen what "I use sunblock" amounts to--lots of sunburn. I use long pants (usually a very loose weave, hemp/cotton mixture--I save the synthetic "hiking pant" ovens for my rainy day/albergue pants). The sun on bare skin is hotter and more draining than anything. (for the same reason I use long sleeve shirts--look at anyone who works in the fields in hot sun and copy their style).

I used to carry two pairs of shoes (one for the pavement/asphalt, one for gravel/dirt). It was not worth the weight. Now just one pair plus a pair of 3oz slippers for the albergue. Key is to get a pair that really feels good (current goto is Topo Terraventure). No shower shoes (unnecessary--the couple of times (in 10 Caminos) I think I've gotten athlete's foot fungus, one application of deodorant solved it).

No water filter. I carry one in the U.S. on backpacking trips. Completely unnecessary on the CF.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just take convertible pants. If necessary, zip off.
Regarding shoes. I usually use a second pair of shoes, so I can air my shoes for the next day hike. So I'm planning to bring a pair of hiking shoes, a pair of water shoes (light Salomon) to rest my feet and walk around the town while the others air out, and a pair of sandals for the shower.
Just 2 pairs. Good shoes or boots (it may be very wet in April) and lightweight sandals or Crocs. Anything else is unnecessary. But bring 3 pairs of well fitting hiking-socks!

HTH

Another thing to try is to pack everything up in your chosen pack from your list and then weigh the pack and walk up and down some hills with it. That may help you decide if you want to carry everything or not. I am doing a packing demo for a group of students I am taking on the Camino next month and I packed my pack this weekend. It weighed 12.5 pounds (5.7 kg) which included my travel CPAP and supplies. It did not include my 500 ml water bottle and my 333 ml water bottle. It did include my winter sleeping bag, clothes, rain gear, and crocs, but did not include the clothes or outerwear I would wear for walking. You'll be walking in warmer months so your bag will weigh differently. Hopefully less.

Several years ago for a summer Camino my bag weighed 18 pounds without an CPAP and I ended up shedding about 5 pounds of things I didn't need by mailing items ahead to myself at one of the first possible locations.
What size pack do you use?

Did del Norte in Tevas with a pair of liner socks (silk) under smart wool thin hiking socks. Started in full on hiking boots; completely unnecessary- sent them home. Carried Birks for around town and a change of footwear.

One pair of shorts (quick dry hiking) which I wore everyday. Had a pair of lightweight hiking pants that I wore once or twice in 31 days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Rodrigo. I imagine the shorts vs. pants ratio depends on if your body runs hot/cold at the time of your Camino stages; I prefer shorts to pants but I walked in this Sept/Oct when it was unseasonably warm. I wore pants a bit when I missed some parts of my legs with sunscreen & got sunburned.

I had no issues airing out my shoes (Hoka) overnight, so a 2nd pair of shoes might be much in my opinion

I found no need for a water filter on the CF; plenty of fountains and the bars were happy to fill my 750ml Camelback

My .02$, your mileage may vary...
Gracias

Thank you all very much for your advice, tips and guidance. The water filter is clearly staying home, and regarding the second pair of shoes, I am leaning to leave as well, but what I’ll do is alternate the use of both while I train at home, to assess if they help (or not) to rest my feet from the hiking shoe. As for the pants issue, I will take short and pants for the 1st stage and pants/zip offs for the 2nd and 3rd as it will be more mountainous. I found the Rain Pants, Fungal Cream, lifting soles to air, liner and hiking socks advice great! Lobster Legs… worth trying in lieu of my milky office legs, heh, heh.

They do? Maybe every thread discussing pants has some posts suggesting shorts, but many people don't wear shorts. (I would guess that the majority wear long pants but I haven't walked the Frances in May- June.) It really depends on what you prefer - what do you usually wear at home for a long walk?
My hiking pants (Prana’s)… I also wear long sleeves, both for sun protection.

After 3,000+ miles of caminos, I’ve settled on the following:

2 pairs of zip off convertible pants, but only taking one pair of the legs. I prefer to walk in shorts, but occasional overgrown paths or colder mornings make me happy to have long pants available.

1 pair of hiking boots (Keene Targhee mids) and one pair of TEVA sandals, the lightest ones I could use to walk in with my pack if I had to. Lots of threads about boots vs lighter shoes but, in my experience, a sturdy, stable boot is what works best (although I am intrigued by Hokas). I use sandals I could walk in because I once had a boot fail, and once, on my first Camino, got bad blisters. Sandals saved the day both times. I wear them at night (my feet like a change of pace) and in the shower. I had the Keene sandals when I had blisters and found that they covered the areas that my blisters were on so they didn’t provide as much relief as the more open TEVAs.

As others have said, no need to bring a filter. I do carry a couple of water purification tablets but have never needed them. I carry two Vapur water bottles, which weigh almost nothing and can be flattened and folded up so they can be packed away easily.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I second others on zip off convertible pants. I will just take one pair next year and when they are being hung out to dry, I will have my running shorts to wander around town in (also sleep in them). Also I agree on a change of 'shoes' after walking all day, I like my Crocs for walking around town and into shower as they are very light. As a note, there are lots of rocks to walk on along CF and now I must use 'rigid' inserts (not orthotics) so the rocks don't irritate the damaged nerves (Morton's neuroma).

Like others have commented, water is available almost everywhere and I only used the simple plastic bottle you purchase water in as they are very light. I do have a partially filled 2-liter bladder in pack for days in long/hot stretches.

I started with a 65L pack and since then I dropped down to a 42L pack and now I use a 35L. My body is so much happier with less burden.

Buen Camino ROjeda!

1698965993867.png

For the second pair of shoes, I brought pair of inexpensive beach water shoes. I was able to walk around in town with them by putting the insert in them from my walking shoes. They're extremely lightweight.

You can buy much nicer and sturdier beach water shoes, but the generic ones I have cost about $12 US. The nicer ones with thicker soles are almost heavy enough to be regular shoes.

Of course, you don't really need a second set of shoes, but I found it very pleasant. And it's always good for your hiking shoes to be aired and dried out. Or if they get really wet.

I had two pairs of long lightweight quick dry pants and nylon, lightweight shorts. It would've been nice to have a pair of zip-off pants but I always find the zippers chafe my legs.

Last edited:
Shorts vs pants: What a great question. I my case I purchased 2 identical pairs of zip-off pants. I only packed 1 set of the “legs” and used them as required between the two pant portions. I found this worked incredibly well in October and May.
I think this will work well at any time of the year.
Ultreia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Rodrigo. I did my Camino last year from SJPP to Santiago, striking out on April 30 and arriving in Santiago on June 5, so roughly the same time frame as your first stage. I took only two pairs of shorts, no zip-offs and no pants. It worked out great for me, but then I don't get sunburned and, while there were some very cold mornings, only my upper body got chilled. At the risk of TMI, I should also note I did not bring any underwear, because the shorts I chose (Vuori) had a built-in brief, and they worked very well for me. Yes, my legs got wet on those few rainy days I had, but so what? It's only water!
I also started out with hiking shoes that almost proved my undoing, but once I got to Burgos I bought a pair of walking sandals that were comfortable and saved my trip. I'm not sure I would walk in anything but sandals again.
As for the water, I echo everyone else's comments - no need for a filter. I got my water from fountains, cafe/bars, bathroom sinks, etc., and never had a problem. Not always as cold as I would have liked, but it was wet!
Buen Camino, Amigo!

Hola,

Rodrigo
Pants: I have taken 2 prs of convertibles; then 1 reg and 1 convertible; but now for the last several Caminos over 3 seasons it has been 2 pairs regular hiking pants. If I need shorts for under rain skirt or heat, I just roll the bottoms up over knees and safety-pin in place. Regular pants weigh 1 oz less than zip-offs. They are easier to wash and wring out (no fear of damaging a leg zipper). They are cheaper. They save on sun screen. They keep most dust and sand out of my shoes, and minimize the need for gaiters.

Shoes: One pair Brooks Ghost. They dry very fast, are very light and are guaranteed for a year so you can get credit, money back or new pair if they fail. Just used one pair of Ghost 15s for Frances, Ingles and Muxia Finisterre extension last spring w/o failure. Used another for del Norte this fall. No need to air out those lightweight mesh shoes. I do a lot of 40 km days with no issue from the same shoes, but I do rotate 2 pairs of SmartWool socks during the day.

No water filter.

My pack base weight is 4.1 kg without food and water. It does include sleeping bag, pillow, rain coat, puffy coat and various other things so I can travel in luxury!

Hola Rodrigo, lots of good advice here as always but they have all missed an important point. Try to learn a little Spanish before you go and maybe get a phrase book, it will help a lot!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

€149,-
First is the number and combination of pants/shorts to bring
Terminology is interesting.
For about half the English there are longs, shorts and pants (the latter go on first, under the longs or shorts).

I detect an interest in sunburn.

So, if the day is hot and sunny you would prefer not to wear shorts.
But on a hot and sunny day, longs will create heat build-up.

I have mild varicose veins. So wear over the thigh-high pressure hose. And over that I wear thigh-high soccer hose.

And then I would consider light weight long (knee length) shorts.

In fact I wear a light weight polyester wool kilt - choose your own pattern. This has pockets (handkerchief, wallet and phone). Knee length, it helps create its own light breeze.

PM for more details, if you like.

Regarding shoes. I usually use a second pair of shoes, so I can air my shoes for the next day hike.

I use running shoes and have used the same brand and model for more than 6 years. Not particularly light (but not heavy), they have an open weave top. Any moisture evaporates very quickly using the natural heat from the feet.

In my view, just one pair of shoes. If the Pope or the Archbishop of Canterbury call by, I am sure that would they would accept you as you are. ++Canterbury did so for me in his cathedral a few years ago.

Again PM if ...

Finally, I am reading that there is no need to take a water filter.

I do carry a filter system, but them I am often in back country sheep and cattle areas.

As others have said above, most probably not needed on the Frances.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Last edited:
Hola,

Rodrigo
As someone who has just finished the CF, my answers are: A marvelous invention is pants with zip off legs. That is all I took. Cold morning, legs on until the heat gets up. Then sit down for a moment, unzip the legs, and you are on your way. Shoes: I had a near new pair of Salomon. Not boots. They are looking a tired now, but they sure performed well. Water filters. Spain has high quality tap water EVERYWHERE. Don't waste money on bottled water, and don't take extra weight in the form of an unnecessary filter. Buen Camino my friend.

I'll just comment on the shoe question. I wear sandals to walk in and take them off when I arrive at the albergue. Obviously they don't need airing out, but I do find it is nice for my feet to then wear something different for the evening. For that I have cheap very light knock-off crocs, which can be worn in the shower and are suitable for extra walking round town.
Hi Rachel,
What sandals do you wear and what time of year did you wear them? I'm starting from SJPP April 17 and would really like to walk in my Bedrock Cairn Sandals (which I walk in year round), depending if I get any really cold weather. I'll probably have to also take my Altra Lone Peak runners, but would so much prefer to just walk in sandals. I guess I'll just have to try it and see! 🤔😁

Hi Rachel,
What sandals do you wear and what time of year did you wear them? I'm starting from SJPP April 17 and would really like to walk in my Bedrock Cairn Sandals (which I walk in year round), depending if I get any really cold weather. I'll probably have to also take my Altra Lone Peak runners, but would so much prefer to just walk in sandals. I guess I'll just have to try it and see! 🤔😁
I have walked May through October in such a set up. Keens Newports have been my favourite because they suit my feet best. Until they didn't. I currently have tendinopathy and my physio has said a big NO to sandals. I'm currently wearing Topo Ultraventure 3. I still prefer the sandals but I need to take some load off my Achilles and these are performing well for that.

Hi Rachel,
I brought Ecco sandals (open toes) as an extra pair. The main shoes were the Hoka Challenger. Hokas were good, but I ended up mostly wearing the sandals because of not so much sweat, with socks. Did even in rain, got wet on my feet anyway, but it was ok. Will use the same combo (late April and May) next time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola,

Rodrigo
I did the whole CF Sept-October last year, from New Zealand. 1/ Pants. Hiking shops have long pants with zip off legs. Brilliant, and one is all you need. But I did take boxer shorts for when laundering the main pants, and as emergency underpants. 2/ Water. ALL tap water in Spain is safe. Buy one strong one litre plastic bottle of water when you arrive and top it up each day with tap water. 3/ I had one pair of Salomon shoes, broken in before going. No other footware at all. They were amazing, and not one blister. I turned 80 half way across. Met several Mexicans. Buen Camino.

I did the whole CF Sept-October last year, from New Zealand. 1/ Pants. Hiking shops have long pants with zip off legs. Brilliant, and one is all you need. But I did take boxer shorts for when laundering the main pants, and as emergency underpants. 2/ Water. ALL tap water in Spain is safe. Buy one strong one litre plastic bottle of water when you arrive and top it up each day with tap water. 3/ I had one pair of Salomon shoes, broken in before going. No other footware at all. They were amazing, and not one blister. I turned 80 half way across. Met several Mexicans. Buen Camino.
Gracias, buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.