• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Shoes, Sleeping bag ??

Matt Frazao

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (2013)
I will be walking the Camino Portuguese from Porto in May. I have been debating on a few things... Waterproof or non waterproof shoes? Not sure how much rain in May... Sleeping bag or not? Not sure how cold it might be at night. I'm leaning towards non waterproof shoes, and just a sleeping bag liner. Any thoughts? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated... - Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last May it rained sixteen days in Porto. The high temperature was above 60F every day but one, and was generally around 65-70F and as high as 90F. The low was 50F.

Expect the same this year!

Well, last May was awful - I actually had to give up my pilgrimage due to bad weather and blisters requiring hospital treatment. However, that was not really 'normal' for Spain in May. April tends to be the wet month.
This year I am starting in late May [20th] hoping that maybe THIS time I'll miss the rainy season. I guess the answer to the question is - be prepared for rain, but also for really warm weather. The big question is - will this May in Spain be "normal"? And if you can answer that, please let us all know!!

Buen camino!

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It rained 9 days in 2011 and 10 days in 2010 in Porto. Temperatures were similar to 2012.

If you travel without a sleeping bag you will be dependent on finding warm blankets somewhere at night. If you can guarantee that then you could risk not bringing a bag. I walked the Camino Frances in one July with only a fleece sleeping bag liner and woke up several times due to cold.

Waterproof clothing depends on whether you want to stay dry or not. Perhaps you don't mind wet feet. Some people hike in sandals. If you don't bring waterproof boots or shoes you might want to consider some waterproof socks such as sealskinz. With those you could walk in lightweight running shoes or sandals and still keep your feet dry.

Plan for everything: rain, mud, sun cold, hot and you'll be prepared.

Most read last week in this forum